Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: All Things Beer!  (Read 64139 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: All Things Beer!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
My favourite is a french beer called Desperados. (I know, it hardly sounds french.) It's a light beer with a shot of tequila in it, and I haven't had tons of luck finding it outside of France, although I'm starting to notice it popping up a few places in London now. While on holiday in Bratislava a few months ago, I got really excited to see it on a drinks menu.  Myself and some friends managed to wipe out the restaurant's entire supply of it. Oops! ::)

They sell that at the burrito place here in Dublin! I had never seen it before. DH tried it and really liked it, but I haven't given it a go just yet.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
They sell that at the burrito place here in Dublin! I had never seen it before. DH tried it and really liked it, but I haven't given it a go just yet.

Definitely try it! And make sure they give you a lime in it! The closest thing I can compare it to is Corona, but it's a lot better.  :D
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 10:25:50 PM »
Can't stand beer, love cider though - especially dry ones!  Big fan of Westons ciders, and Aspall.

Anyhoo, DH loves Yorkshire breweries:  Copper Dragon (Skipton), Leeds Brewery, Black Sheep (Masham), Theakston (Masham), etc.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 10:32:28 PM »
Drinking a Titanic Stout as we speak and I'm quite enjoying it
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 10:34:06 PM »
YAY! I wonder if they'd have it pubs, though? Going to a workmate's birthday do at some place called Warmingham at the Bear's Paw. Fingers crossed for that there's ginger beer on tap! :D

Ive never seen it on tap anywhere but Ive seen it in bottles several places here in London.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »
If you come to Dublin, after you have your obligatory pint of Guinness (yes, it is really better here) then you should head over to the Porterhouse Brewing Co. to sample their pints. There is a pub on Nassau Street (across from Trinity College) and there is on in Temple Bar. I'm a huge fan of the Porterhouse Red, but DH always gets Chiller.

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/

Omg, I went there back in 2005 on a pub crawl in Dublin and always wished I made note of the name so I could send people there when they went to Dublin (and go back when I get back someday).  I was pretty sure I could find it myself because I have a very clear image of where it is in relation to Trinity but wasn't sure.  Awesomeness.  :) 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 07:12:53 AM »
Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on Hobgoblin in the Northeast, preferably in the NJ/NY area?  A keg would be perfect but bottles would be ok.  My BF would really like to be able to have it at the wedding but it's too much to legally bring over in suitcases. :) 

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »
Anyhoo, DH loves Yorkshire breweries:  Copper Dragon (Skipton), Leeds Brewery, Black Sheep (Masham), Theakston (Masham), etc.  :)

I bet Mr R and Mr MLG would love an excuse for a Yorkshire drink off!  :P

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
:)  Which kind do you have? 

It's the Yellowhammer IPA
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
Can't stand beer, love cider though - especially dry ones!  Big fan of Westons ciders, and Aspall.

Absolutely love Copper Dragon's Golden Pippen!

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on Hobgoblin in the Northeast, preferably in the NJ/NY area?  A keg would be perfect but bottles would be ok.  My BF would really like to be able to have it at the wedding but it's too much to legally bring over in suitcases. :) 

Not sure about Hobgoblin specifically, but recall on last trip to NJ (south, just across from Philly) we went in a huge liquor store and they had a large selection of bottled British beers.

This reminds me of when I first went to visit DW, she kept asking in our online chats what beer I liked and I'm saying to get Sam Adams or some microbrews and then she bought some Newcastle Brown and was really pleased with herself thinking it would make me feel at home whereas I wanted to sample the local brews! So we stopped at a liquor store and I got a sample case of Dogfish brewery beers!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »
I bet Mr R and Mr MLG would love an excuse for a Yorkshire drink off!  :P

Probably!  :)

Absolutely love Copper Dragon's Golden Pippen!

That's one of Steve's favourites too!  Sounds like you'll have to join Mr R & Mr MLG!  :D

Oh man - I can't even think about drinking right now.  Not sure at what point that drinking a lot of red wine last night seemed like a good idea, but I'm supposed to be getting laundry done & getting us packed up, etc today - and I'm really struggling to function.  [smiley=dead.gif]

I guess it's good to take the cure once in awhile to remind myself that I just can't do this anymore...  :-[
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »
It's the Yellowhammer IPA

Lovely!  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
My favourite is a french beer called Desperados. (I know, it hardly sounds french.) It's a light beer with a shot of tequila in it, and I haven't had tons of luck finding it outside of France, although I'm starting to notice it popping up a few places in London now. While on holiday in Bratislava a few months ago, I got really excited to see it on a drinks menu.  Myself and some friends managed to wipe out the restaurant's entire supply of it. Oops! ::)
I live just north of London and they have them in a few pubs and all the off-licenses. I'm not the biggest Tequila fan, but I love them.
Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on Hobgoblin in the Northeast, preferably in the NJ/NY area?
I'm doubtful you can get a keg anywhere, but I have seen it in Philly at the Foodery. From the Eurobrew's website they have a distributor in Brooklyn: http://www.eurobrews.com/go.php?page=find/distributors/NY.html

My Favorites: Yuengling, DogfishHead, Sam Adams Seasonal blends, John Harvard Stoudt, Rogue Chocolate Stoudt, PBC Joe, Sly Fox, Savana Dry Cider, Rekorderlig or Kopparberg Strawberry & Lime Cider.

I need to try some more local beer and I am going to try some of the ones suggested on here!
LLR Oct 2009, ILR Nov 2011, Citizen June 2013
DH's Greencard May 2013- back in the USA Aug 2013!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »
aimless - not sure where you are BUT this site http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/distribution/5107/
shows you can get it at Canal liquor store
2004 Mount Holly Rd, (;RT 541);
Burlington, New Jersey United States 08016
(609) 387-1541
Can't hurt to give them a call - they may be able to order it for you

Sponsored Links