Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: All Things Beer!  (Read 64146 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: All Things Beer!
« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »
Just had a weekend in Bruges - oh such lovely beers!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 2
« Reply #526 on: August 07, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Guinness. There is no other. That is all. :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #527 on: August 08, 2014, 06:56:03 AM »
Guinness. There is no other. That is all. :)

I think you'll find that's not true.  ;)

« Reply #528 on: October 26, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
Going to Sheffield for the beer festival next week...
http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk/festival/beer-list

If you're about, Tykeman, you'll find my man and I there on Thurs & Fri.
The beer list looks really good!  Might get my first taste of Belgian Blue in over 2 years!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #529 on: October 26, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »
We FINALLY had the chance to try Warnog Roggen Dunkle Ale, brewed 'locally' 45 miles away in Evansville by Tin Man Brewing Company. We've waited ages and ages for it to come out, ever since we heard it was a thought the company was considering.

While it mostly tastes like and Irish Red ale, it somewhat has the taste of a lager/bitter hybrid. I liked it, but didn't love it. Being the Star Trek fan I am, I wanted to love it. Just the thought of drinking Warnog had me giddy with glee for months.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 3
« Reply #530 on: October 27, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »
I picked up some New Belgium Blue Paddle last night. It's a pilsener, which is a bit difficult to find here in the Land of Ales. I'm really enjoying it! We usually get their Fat Tire beer and this was a nice change.

« Reply #531 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
I can't remember if I have had Blue Paddle or not. We've had and enjoyed Fat Tire, and we've had a sampler pack but I can't remember what was in it. Suppose this means I should get some Blue Paddle and see if we've had it. :D

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #532 on: November 19, 2014, 02:50:20 AM »
Hehehe, three of us from Scotland (and I always consider myself from Scotland these days, as its home!) are in the USA right now. We went to this place for dinner tonight and it had 8 Local Craft brews available. The waitress was so confused when we went all Scottish on her and wanted to try all 8 of them. But she went with it, laughing that we were the first to try that there. All were very tasty, including an Octoberfest and a citrus flavoured lager. Happy days.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #533 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
The waitress was so confused when we went all Scottish on her and wanted to try all 8 of them.

Reminds me of years (decades, likes) ago when I was down in Leicester with some friends, and we went for a curry.  We all ordered pints of lager while we perused the menu, and then when we ordered our food, we also ordered 3 bottles of wine.  The waitress was like  ??? , and my then-boyfriend George said 'it's all right, we're Scottish'.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:21:54 AM by Albatross »

« Reply #534 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:37 PM »
We are currently working our way through the Blue Moon Winter sampler pack that has
Mountain Abbey Ale, Belgian White, Farmhouse Red Ale, Rounder. Gingerbread Spiced Ale and  Cinnamon Horchata Ale.

I know Blue Moon is hit or miss in the UK, but if any of you get any chance at all to try the Cinnamon Horchata and/or the Gingerbread Spice, they are both out of this world. The cinnamon is a true cinnamon, and not a cinnamon oil, flavor but with so many other notes it takes things to a whole new lever. The Gingerbread Spice is worthy of leaving out for Santa instead of milk and cookies, IF you can bring yourself to share it.

― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #535 on: November 29, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »
I stopped in the local liquor store (the one of six in town that actually carries awesome stuff) and picked up some Newcastle Scotch Ale which is a hit with hubby but far too stout-y for me, and some 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale by the Thirsty Dog Brewing Company which is a HUGE hit with me. It is brewed with honey, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, along with toasted and caramel malts. It tastes very Christmassy and is perfect for sitting here enjoying my tree while hubs is watching boxing.

I love finding new (or at least new to me) craft ales. It is worth paying more to have good American beer.

― Dr. Seuss

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #536 on: December 16, 2014, 11:21:09 AM »
I had a lovely carry-keg of Caringorm's Santa's  Sledgehammer.  Sadly it's all gone, but what a lovely beer!!  A deep ale, nicely spiced,really nice balance of hop bitterness.  5.6% - No wonder I had a bit of a headache Morning after finishing off my carry keg.  :P

Tavern has Santa'sClootie Dumpling on now (Orkney) and a few other nice seasonal ales. I am definitlely a lover of Christmas beer. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #537 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
12 Dogs of Christmas Ale by the Thirsty Dog Brewing Company which is a HUGE hit with me. It is brewed with honey, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, along with toasted and caramel malts. It tastes very Christmassy and is perfect for sitting here enjoying my tree while hubs is watching boxing.

This brewery is near my home!  Very good seasonal brews with entertaining names!

I had a lovely carry-keg of Caringorm's Santa's  Sledgehammer.  Sadly it's all gone, but what a lovely beer!!  A deep ale, nicely spiced,really nice balance of hop bitterness.  5.6% - No wonder I had a bit of a headache Morning after finishing off my carry keg.  :P

Tavern has Santa'sClootie Dumpling on now (Orkney) and a few other nice seasonal ales. I am definitlely a lover of Christmas beer. 

This sounds lovely!  I need to find someplace around Essex-way that sells good seasonal brews.  Tescos always seems to have the same selection and I'm getting a bit bored of the same old tastes.  It's making me miss the selection at my local grocery store and all the local breweries they stock.  What I would give for some Great Lakes Christmas Ale right about now!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #538 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
This brewery is near my home!  Very good seasonal brews with entertaining names!

How cool! I fear if I was too close to it, I'd be a lush, if the 12 Dogs one is anything to go by.  ;D

I had a look at their website and saw quite a few I'd love to try. I have noticed one other type, an IPA, but I am sure they could special order for me if it is one they don't intend to get otherwise. They seem to try a few of each brewery then move on. Almost as if they want to be the 'cool' liquor store that keeps offering new things. The problem with that is, you find something you like, or they actually start selling my beautiful Hobgoblin, then move on to other things.

― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 6
« Reply #539 on: December 16, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
When I lived in the UK my two favourite beers were Hook Norton's "Old Hooky" and "Hopback summer lightning" by another brewer who's name I forget.  "Old Speckled Hen" could be OK also.

Now living in Boston MA this is far and away my favourite brewery

http://prettybeer.com/wp/

in particular the Jack D'Or, which reminds me of summer lightning, and baby tree, which is based on the Belgian Trappist beers and has to be consumed in moderation

http://prettybeer.com/wp/our-beers/baby-tree/

I'm not sure you can get any of the Pretty Things beers in the UK, but if you're ever in Massachusetts they're worth looking for.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab