Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 6 months...  how to fill the time....  (Read 3636 times)

• Give all to love, Obey thy Heart - R.W. Emerson
  • Liked: 0
6 months...  how to fill the time....
« on: March 13, 2003, 12:28:40 PM »
(i wasnt sure in what other catagory to post this question, so i picked here!)   :)

im currently living in England on a fiancée visa. one of the condition with this visa [as some of you probably already know], is that i am not permitted to work for the first 6 months.

my question is to others who have been in this situation or who have known someone in this situation (of not being able to work for 6 months), what did you/they do to fill their time?

(*thanks for any feedback*)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ {Chinese Proverb} ~

• Yay! I'm going home!
    • Batchelor Family Homepage
Re: 6 months...  how to fill the time....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 12:47:40 PM »
I have been here for 3 years.  The first nine months I was here I was pregnant, I did not work at that time.  I was really bored.  Where exactly do you live?

Mel
timeline:
3 May - I-130 mailed
16 Jun - DS230 mailed
13 Jul - NOA received
15 Jul - Interview on 17 Aug
17 Aug - Got VISA

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 01:00:58 PM »
 >>Where exactly do you live?

im in st. albans  ~ where are you at?

ive been looking for some sort of wildlife centre / rehabilitation centre to volunteer at. since thats similiar to the work i did when i lived in the states.

• Yay! I'm going home!
    • Batchelor Family Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 01:16:04 PM »
Hi there,

I am actually in Southampton, which is quite south from you.  I guess just use your magic on the net.  Wish I could help you out.  

Mel
timeline:
3 May - I-130 mailed
16 Jun - DS230 mailed
13 Jul - NOA received
15 Jul - Interview on 17 Aug
17 Aug - Got VISA

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 01:32:56 PM »
>Hi there,I am actually in Southampton, which is quite south from you.  I guess just use your magic on the net.  Wish I could help you out.  Mel

:grin:  thanks :)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 07:56:18 PM »
Don't know if this is an appropriate question to your situation, but have you tried your local church?  They usually know of most volunteer opportunities, if not, maybe the council office will be able to help.

Meanwhile, I don't know.  Read?  Work on a novel?  Knit or sew?  Decorate?  Put up preserves?  Garden?  Learn Welsh? Paint or sculpt?  Take long walks? Do a nice mosaic on something? 

When I was home before dd was born (I was a bartender when I got pg, so I couldn't work for too long, so I stopped when I was about 14 weeks and didn't get another job), I had the cleanest house you have ever seen in your life.  I used to wash the doors once a week!  Now of course she keeps me too busy, so I have to admit, I'm almost a little jealous that you have free time to do things.  I loved having so much time in the day...I'd make really nice meals, and started writing a cookbook, and I knit a blanket for a friend's baby born a few months before mine, and redecorated my living room and bathroom.  I would swim almost every day (remember, I am in Florida, and also gained so much weight, it was a HUGE relief to float in the water!)
But I had moments of boredom as well, so I know how you feel...hope some of these suggestions are helpful.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 07:59:11 PM by SAF »

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 02:13:01 AM »
I second 'learn Welsh.'  You'll be the envy of all of us!  I'm pretty sure it's just a language each person makes up as they're talking... but they seem to communicate well.  :-)

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 09:45:13 AM »
My first few weeks were wonderful, but then day-to-day life set in and I was going crazy not working.  The housework was done,,not really much to do there as we were renting. So,,I volunteered at the local Shopmobility, it was a really good experience in so many ways. Helped me to become part of the community, since we lived in a tourist area, I was able to learn about different parts of the country, ie dialects, customs, etc. and then it helped when I went actively looking for work and I worked with some really nice people, mostly retired professionals and that was great.  

Down here in the southwest we have several different animal charities and I think if I had to do it again, thats where I would head to,,,but, I am not part of the NHS system and working hard!

Good luck in whatever you do!

• Who, being loved, is poor?  -Wilde
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 02:01:15 PM »
Just out of interest . . . when are you planning on getting married?  It doesn't have to be six months . . . once you get your spouse visa you're free to work.  That could cut down on your boredom time!

The first few weeks I was here I loved being home all day without job or school concerns.  It was like summer vacation!  And quite a relief from the work I had been doing right before I moved here . . . getting up at 3 in the morning, driving 45 minutes to the warehouse and working my bum off until 3, and doing that six days a week in a hot hell-hole.  

It didn't take long before I got lethargic and sort of apathetic . . . you do the housework and make meals and get so sick of washing dishes over and over again . . . even though I had all day to do simple chores, by the fourth week I was hardly doing anything just because I wanted to be able to get out and DO things, not stay in the house and do things!  

I took up cross-stitch, that helped.  It is great fun and I love producing such gorgeous things.  I'm starting a new job soon because I have my spouse visa, but I didn't have a huge problem with boredom because my husband was off work sick for three months.  By the time he went back to work, I had my spouse visa and was looking for a job.  I'm afraid that I haven't got any more suggestions, except that SAF's list sounded brilliant.  And I definitely suggest cross stitching! ;D  Kits are incredibly easy to use and the instructions are so simple.  It's great!
"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."  -Kahlil Gibran

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 03:06:36 PM »
>>Good luck in whatever you do!

thank you!    : )

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 03:18:46 PM »
>>Just out of interest . . . when are you planning on getting married?

*~right now, we've tenatively planned a register office wedding in early july.

>>And I definitely suggest cross stitching! ;D  Kits are incredibly easy to use and the instructions are so simple.  It's great!

*~i actually gave some thought to that. i've also been considering joining a local gym, too. i'm also going to email the RSPCA about possibly gaining some infomation on local animal welfare organizations.
*~although only being here nearly 2 weeks, it still does have that "on vacation" feel. but i know that will soon wear off, and i just dont know how many times in the week i can vacuum the carpets. ; )
*~thanks for the suggestions.  

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 01:48:02 AM »
ive been looking for some sort of wildlife centre / rehabilitation centre to volunteer at. since thats similiar to the work i did when i lived in the states.

Maybe you've already tried this, but just in case - your local library will hold a list of pretty much all the local clubs/groups/societies in your area, its usually a large folder, listing organisation names, contact numbers etc. Some counties also put most of this sort of information onto their web sites - for example Hertfordshire's web site (www.hertsdirect.org [nofollow] ) has a list of 49 links if you search on 'wildlife centre'.  Or try www.stalbans.gov.uk [nofollow] , which also lists clubs in St Albans, which I think you said is where you are.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 08:43:17 PM »
I'm going to start learning Welsh ASAP, as soon as I find a good course/cassette.  I've always wanted to speak another language, and this has the added benefit of not being overly common or easy, as I think the time for Pig latin around my 9-yr old sd is running out!

I also used to bake a lot, that was a lot of fun (lots of cakes, cookies, etc.), and since I love to cook I had time to do very intricate dishes that (sad to say) I never do anymore, really.

Good luck!

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 06:13:20 PM »
Hmm I won't have six months to kill but I'm assuming it will take me a couple of weeks to find a job, at the very least.  All these suggestions sound great ways to pass the time...learn a language, volunteer, movies!!!, Write, sleep late ;D, read tons, go everywhere!

Hey have you thought of trying to get together an expat group in your area? even if it's only one other person you could have a weekly meat up for a meal or something and help eachother out getting into the groove of where you live.

• having one of those days...
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 09:34:21 AM »
wow, all of you have such creative ideas...

i took up cooking and baking, mainly to be able to make the foods that i missed from home that i can't find here.

and explored london. a LOT. i know the city better than my husband, and have been to most museums and tourist sights. i also spent a lot of time planning weekends away and have been lucky enough to see quite a few places in england.

good luck to you with whatever you decide on!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab