55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95941 times)

How Did It All Begin??
« on: January 16, 2004, 03:22:03 PM »
 Iam certain this has been a question long before I joined,but Iam curious and like to share in happiness  :)

How did you meet your husband/wife or Boyfriend/Girlfriend?
 Did you know from the start that they was going to be your love for life?

Me and Gordon met in a chatroom of all places :oWe talked for awhile on the comp,and spent many long hours(and contributed much to the telephone company  ;) ) on the phone as well.He came over for a visit to the states,and I went back with him to the UK.

I knew that it might be a bumpy road ahead for us.We came from different countries,cultures,and the age difference as well.My parents wasnt too thrilled,and there was many hard days before we was actually married.
 Through all of this,I knew in my heart and soul that it was fate that brought us together.That we would grow old together(him faster than me though :P)and that he was the man I would love and cherish always.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 06:20:23 PM by Mindy »

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 03:29:15 PM »
How did you meet your husband/wife or Boyfriend/Girlfriend?

We too met in a chatroom, but were only friends at the time.  Then met face to face at the chatroom's party in Yorkshire.  Of course this was back when meeting your future spouse on the internet was way too geeky.

Did you know from the start that they was going to be your love for life?

No, I didn't.  As a matter of fact I tried to marry him off to my best friend.  Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men Cait's ...
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 03:45:13 PM »
Frank and I met on the Corp Goth e-mail list in 2000 and were initially just friends.  Things got more involved and we met face to face in October 2001.  We were engaged after 10 days together.  Married 2 months later and here we are 2 years later and still going strong!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 03:48:50 PM »
Chris and I met online as well.  He went over to a friends house (the friend and I chatted all the time in rooms).   Chris hadn't been there in 2 years.  But that night the friend showed Chris my picture and me his.  We started writing emails.  Did this for 3 months then phone calls for a year.  I knew from seeing that photo that I was his and just had to be a bit more patient for him to recognize me.   But he did.  Its been 3 years and we are getting married on April 10, 2004.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:25:48 PM »
Frank and I met on the Corp Goth e-mail list in 2000 and were initially just friends.  Things got more involved and we met face to face in October 2001.  We were engaged after 10 days together.  Married 2 months later and here we are 2 years later and still going strong!

Hey, small world,  I was on that list for a wee while!

Stu and I met August 2002 through a site called killermontstreet.com for fans of Roddy Frame (previously Aztec Camera). He thought I was some other Liz and sent me an email about something and I wrote back a sharpish "excuse me have we met before?" and then we just started emailing, pretty soon we were emailing several times a day and the emails got more and more romantic on both sides until after about 6 weeks he finally sent me his pic ... it wasn't a very good one so I was really none the wiser as to whether he was a looker or not* .. anyway I sent him a pic back and then we emailed a bit more then spent nearly a whole day in a chatroom ... then we decided he should come over here and it wasn't til then we spoke on the phone (one of my friends said at the time I'd better hear his voice first to make sure he didn't sound like kermit the frog or anything!).

So anyway he came over ... we met up in a pub - he just bowled right up to me and gave me a great big kiss and that was that. That was Oct 2002, we got engaged 31.12.02, got married August 03 and now we're having a baby!

The moral of this story is be careful who you talk to online!!!!!! It may change your life forever!!

*ps he is gorgeous!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 05:24:57 PM »
David & I met, both of us drunk, on April Fools Day in an underground bar in Ann Arbor Michigan while he was there for a few months on business. And we've been together ever since...

Oh, and 3 days after knowing him I told my mom on the phone that I had met the man I was going to marry. It took hima bit longer to come around (well, he was going through a divorce at the time, hard to blame him really!), but eventually he did. ;) Our baby is due 2 days after our 1 year wedding anniversary, and 2 days before the 3 year anniversary of us meeting!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 05:27:23 PM by Marlespo »
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 05:39:34 PM »
I was invloved in an online newsgroup. I subscribed because it was the only place I could find online that wasn't a Meet Market. I was done with men. Ptooey. Graham was there too, but not as much. I posted something and he responded to it...I found his wit very funny/intelligent. But that really was all our contact. And he all but slipped away from the group.

I had always wanted to visit England, and this group just happened to be meeting in the UK (the prior get-together was in Arizona). I decided the chance was once-in-a-lifetime, so I went. A woman I got to know well online was coming a few days early and she invited me to join her and her friend...on another friend's narrow boat. That other friend happened to be my future husband...the one and the same Graham.

I was not in anyway interested in getting involved with someone. My knowledge of Graham beforehand was limited, but I was intrigued. When we met face-to-face that first time...well, for me it was love at first sight. Can't explain the explosion that happened within me.

And 7.5 years later, my stomach still does flip-flops when he enters a room.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 05:53:01 PM »
Sean and I met online in January of 2000 (4 year anniversary is tomorrow).  I was up late one night listening to U2 cds and wanted someone to chat to about the band.  I searched the member directory for people with "u2" and "insane" in their profile who were currently online, and his name popped up.  I IM'ed him asking if he wanted to chat and he responded with, "what the hell?".. I misread it as him being annoyed that I would IM.  I quickly apologized and canceled the message.  A minute later, another instant message box popped up from him saying, "you misunderstood, I was saying.. "sure, what the hell.. why not."  It carried on from there and we spent the entire night chatting online.

We first spoke on the phone a month or two after that, and just 4 months later in April of 2000, he flew out to Phoenix to visit me for a few weeks.

Since then, we've both had many many trips back and forth and currently spend half the year together in Arizona and the other half of the year together in England.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 10:41:27 PM by Terinth »

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
James and I met at camp.  We both worked in the Catskills the summer of  '87 and '88.  Then, um, James moved to the states and we lived in MA for a year and then we moved over here in Nov. '89.  And we're still here.   :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:17:24 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 08:00:17 PM »
I enjoy reading all of your stories so much!  thought'd I'd share mine as well:

I met Simon briefly while on a semester abroad in London while he was dating one of the girls in my program in 99.  About a month after I returned to the States, the girl he was dating invited him to a formal dance at her small college (that I was attending as well), so he flew to the US for the first time.  While he was there, she decided to get back together with her long term on and off again boyfriend and realizing that she was basically dumping someone who had flown across the ocean to  visit with her, she offered him the company of my friend Mary and myself jsut to keep him occupied really.  Feeling bad for him, we willingly complied.  We had a great time that night, but it was strictly a friendship and I didn't give him another thought.  But when Mary and I went to spend the summer working in London after graduation, she insisted we call him for a drink since he was the only person we knew in the ciy.  We started dating soon after and the rest is history!  

He's recently moved back to London for good after trying it here for over a year.  It's all so frustrating!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 08:43:14 PM »
Is everyone sick of hearing *my* story yet?  No?  Good!  ;D

I answered Phil's ad for a pen pal in the March 1985 issue of Smash Hits.  (I bought it for the lyrics to Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World.")

Anyway - my first letter to him was 18 March 1985.  He wrote back and we continued on in that manner until about 1987.  We started up again in 1990, then again in 1991 for about a year.

He wrote me in 1999 after 7 years of no contact, and I cried when I saw the handwriting on the envelope in the postbox...happy tears!

I have loved him since 1985 - always knew it, just never figured he'd love me and thought his friendship was too precious to risk by trying a romance that might not work.

But both our situations were different in 1999 - and in 2001 we FINALLY met for the first time.  He went to Florida and we spent 3 weeks together.  Then I came to England in June and spent 2 weeks and back again in September.  Supposed to stay just a few days - but my departure date was 12.9.01, so I was kind of forced to stay a little longer.

He came for Thanksgiving in November 2001, again in January/Feb 2002.  We decided (tentatively) that the boys and I would be making the move, so I brought the boys over in May.  They loved it!  I came back by myself for a long weekend in June to find a town to live in, and the boys and I moved over in August/September 2002.

He proposed on 1st January 2003, we were married on 1st day of Spring, 21st March 2003, and I still have to pinch myself to remember that THIS is my REAL life - even on my worst days it's still too good to be true!  He is my soulmate - and the only thing I regret is that it took us 15 years to figure it out.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Give me some ribs...
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 09:57:33 PM »
I too met my darling hubby online!
Seven months after our first date he proposed to me. We've been married 5 years this past Aug 1st.
Love him more everyday! Best thing that ever happened to me.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 10:09:43 PM »
Me and Anna met in a music chatroom in '99.  I was laid off for a week...so i was messing around with webtv (did anybody else have that?  I didn't own a computer back then....just the webtv)  Got chatting to anna about music and other interest's and were friends at first.  We both wrote a lot of poetry and begain sharing it with each other....for the most part we only shared our poetry with each other.  We both have creative minds in different areas and just shared all of our work whether art, writing or whatever with each other.
We began talking on the phone in 2000...then Oct. 2000 Anna came over to visit....By now, even though we hadn't yet met in person we knew we were getting very close to each other.
We had a very good two weeks....we didn't want to seperate after that.
I took a trip over to england....we decided then, that over the summer of 2001 anna would come and live with me for 3 months....during that time we got engaged.
After she went home i flew back to her a couple more times, then finally moved to england May 1st 2002.  We got married on the summer solstice, june 21st 2002 ;D  And at a castle of all places....it was great!
The castle grounds are only about a 20 minute walk from us....we love to walk, so on the weekends we usual try to find time to get up there and walk around.

• Can't wait to move! :-)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 06:25:49 PM »
Kevin is English and I live near Washington, DC.
I met Kevin through mutual friends. We first met when another friend had me pick up a cell phone that he was lending me. He was nice and I liked him, but never thought anything about it and flew home to the US. I was married at the time anyway. In May of 2003 we met again at a festival called the Jack in the Green festival in Hastings. I was seperating from my husband. We really connected - and I reluctantly flew home. Emails quickly flew back and forth as did many visits. We now plan to have me over as soon as possible, which looks like in about 10 months.   :)  I've known his friends a long time, so it will be nice to move over already knowing some people and I met them independently from him, so they know us in different contexts. The creepy thing is that after talking to him we both realized that we had another mutual friend - his best friend from college that he hadn't seen in 25 years! His best friend was now living near me in the US - so the first time Kevin flew over I reunited them! It was really cool! It gets even creepier though - in talking to the both of them I found out that I also know another mutual friend who they BOTH haven't seen in 25 years! He's still in England and I plan to reunite him and Kevin this year! It was at this point that I knew Kevin and I were fated to be together!
I long to let our love run free,
Yet here I am a victim of geography.
-Billy Bragg

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 07:00:00 PM »
Ohh...I've told this a few times on here but love to talk about it when someone actually asks! hehe  Chris and I, too, met in a chatroom! I'd been frequenting an irc chatroom for a few years by that point and had made some really good online friends. One night in May of 1999 Chris was bored and came in and was really friendly- to everyone! Far from the chatting up and ASL that was going on normally - he was in his final year of University, studying Astrophysics, and I thought he might be interested in the fact that my cousin is an Astronaut-so I messaged him! Only later did I find out that he had never even been in that specific chat program before, and didn't have any plans to return had I not messaged him and struck up a conversation! We continued to chat whenever we came across each other and started emailing as friends- until it got to the point that we were going online specifically to talk to each other and I said to my Mom "I've met this great guy- I really want to see how things work out for him!"

By November, we'd exchanged photos and had spent many many hours talking online and on the phone. We knew we had feelings for each other and decided to hasten our plan to meet in person (which had before been planned as friends!) and he came over in January 2000 to stay with me for a week! It was truly love at first sight when I saw him come through the gates at JFK- as if we'd known each other ALL our lives!

[smiley=love.gif]

Soo....to make a very long story shorter, we visited back and forth until I got a work permit in Dec 2001 and we got married on July 1st 2003 !  smiley=heart.gif]

I still sometimes can't believe that we found each other! I probably still owe my friend who sold me the computer at a reduced rate!

Ahhh- so nice to reminisce and great to hear all of your stories, as well!!

Jen

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab