55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95663 times)

• Liked: 1
How did you meet your British beloved?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 12:22:01 PM »
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and we were talking about how people meet their partners when they live in different countries.  I know not all of us came to the UK because of partners, but I am sure a lot of us did (as it is tricky to visas another way).

I would love to hear how couple's met!

I met Kevin at summer camp when I was 17 and he was 18. He came to camp through Camp Counsellors USA (I am sure it should start billing itself as a matchmaking firm, as I know loads of couples who met that way :-*).  I HATED him at first--he was so hyper and annoying!  We started going out a year later--broke up for a few years, but kept in contact.  Then, one day I realise he was THE ONE.  So I got on a plane and have been here ever since!

Kat
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
Re: How did you meet your British beloved?
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 03:38:11 PM »
met playing trivia online about 5 years ago :)  

Wouldn't have it any other way,, thank goodness for the internet :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
I was planning on a move to the UK and my profile said I was thinking about Aberdeen or Surrey and Colin had just logged on to yahoo messenger for the first time and searched under Surrey and found me.  We talked for awhile and planned a nice road trip in the states and the rest is history.  

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2004, 05:02:10 PM »
My girlfriend and I were planning a trip to England and had already booked a week at Henlow Grange Spa in Hertfordshire. Having no clue as to things to see outside of London, I surfed and surfed.....got bored, went into a Yahoo UK chatroom to see what the conversations were about.....

Can you guess who our tour guide was??? LOL

The rest, they say.....is history :d

Sherry

• Hiya
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2004, 06:03:54 PM »
Met in a football/soccer chatroom more than two years ago.  Talked forever and ever and I decided to meet up with him when i was studying in Germany.  Best trip I ever took was to the UK to meet him. ;D

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2004, 06:28:45 PM »
My hubby likes to tell people we met while he was on holiday in KY at a county fair where I was the announcer for a horse show.  But the truth of the matter is we met online.  :)  

(We did go to a county fair tho, and I was announcing the horse show...so it's not *that* much of a stretch, right?) ;)

• Hiya
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004, 06:33:48 PM »
lol wishstar!  we tell people we met through mutual friends.  my parents still think i met him while he was studying here...they wouldn't understand the whole internet thing. ;)  

sometimes it's just easier to keep the info less detailed.  sometimes i just say it's a long story how we met, and then just jump onto a new topic in the conversation. ;D

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2004, 08:05:37 PM »
We met the old fashion way, face to face in a bar,introduced by a mutual friend. Moved to California together 5 weeks later.
Always saddle your own horse

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 09:51:07 PM »
I met my dearest while getting my master's degree in the UK.  I had been in England for one week and was really lonely and had no friends and went out to the student union bar by myself and did something i *never* do - went and sat down right next to him starting talking.  we've been together since!
its crazy to imagine that i was in england for only one week before we found each other. ;)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2004, 10:10:41 PM »
We met on a RPG.

My family and friends know how we met but his family and friends think we met in Vietnam. It's kinda true, he was in Vietnam when we met on the game but I've never been. It gets difficult when people ask you what you thought of Asia. "Uh, I dunno, I was only there for a few days."  :-X
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 12:22:09 AM »
Another online meetup.  ;)
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2004, 03:27:15 PM »
i was locked up in a castle's tower, bored out of my mind, and waiting for some gorgeous prince to rescue me.  he rode up on his white stallion, and saw me at the window, with tears in my eyes.  he took out his guitar, and began to serenade me with his rendition of Led Zeppelin's "Thank You".  i let down my 7-story hair, and he took hold of it, and scaled the castle wall to rescue me.  we have been together ever since.

oh, wait, no... we met on the internet.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• My little cutie
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2004, 03:28:01 PM »
Glenn and I met online as well in igames.com it is a place to play all different card games and I was reading profiles and came across his and said to  him "cute nick" he came back yours too and we became very good friends, after a year of friendship I realized I cared for him, and told him so.

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2004, 03:41:22 PM »
Hey not EVERY member is married to a Brit you know!  ;)  I married myself a Belgian.  We met at work in NYC..  I was the VP's assistant and Glen was one of his directors responsible for the Global IT telecom/messanging - so we not only worked for the same company but worked in the same department on the same team.  And yes we did the corporate dating scandal thing... [smiley=devilish.gif]  I was especially greatful for all those business trips he took to the city and for us having the best boss possible!  He was the one who **always** approved those long business trips to NYC or our staff meetings in FLA where we would make a long weekend for ourselves courtesy of the company of course!!  8)
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »
Chris and I met thru a friend of his that I used to chat to in an AOL chat room.  From that first night Chris and I started writing emails.  So technically we met online too.

Just wanted to add a P.S. here:  Most people that find out I'm moving so far away inevitably ask how I met my future husband.  So I tell them on the internet.  So here's me expecting to see a sort of horror on their faces, but know what?  I don't.  These days, I get lots of knowing looks and nods and smiles and hear at least one story of how this or that friend met someone too.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 04:14:19 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

Sponsored Links