55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95891 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:39 AM »
I met my wife before the Internet was even a wild dream... 33 years ago. I was in the USAF stationed in Berlin. About a year before that during training at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey (German, naturally) I had started skydiving.

I became a fanatic and continued pursuing my sport (or recreation, depending how you see it) in Germany. So I joined a German parachuting club in Berlin but due to the wall we had to drive out to West Germany to jump on the weekends.

So there it was in a grass covered drop zone in the beautiful north German village of Meissendorf that I met my future wife in 1978. When I got out of the air force in 1980 she came back to California with me and we married just months later.

And of course we've lived happily ever after!  ;)

« Reply #256 on: July 06, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
I met my now fiance when I was 6 and he was 12. Our families have always been friends. I did not like him at all when I was a kid, I thought he was annoying and had cooties lol. But then over the years when we'd be thrown together at those functions we became friendly and when I was 20 we had our first date on January 2nd, 2002. And then on our 5th anniversary he asked me to marry him so hopefully we'll get married on our 10th :)
But no, when I met him I did not want anything to do with him. He would steal my dolls and hang them from the balcony of the house we were renting in Marseille. But he grew up a lot and so did I.

« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »
We met at university when he was a freshman and I was a junior.  His Resident Adviser was a good friend of mine, and we also worked at the college paper together. 

« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »
We met on an internet professional wrestling forum....because why not? It was a few years before we decided to be more than friends. Met him in person for the first time when I did a term at Lancaster University.

Is there anyone in your families that you haven't told how you met? Because of the preconceptions about the internet, even ten years ago, I found myself unwilling to let on where I met Rich. I had to come clean to my parents, but my grandpa thinks I met him at school. The one time I thought I just suck it up and tell him, he cut me off with 'I don't like that Internet business. Too many sick people on there.'

« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
My husband and I met when he came over to America through Camp America. We were 17 and 18 yrs old. Both of us were camp counselors for severely disabled children and adults at an Easter Seals Camp. On the first day our boss told us that one of us may have already met our future husband or wife! Imagine that. (He had, many yrs prior. ) I never in a million years thought that applied to me. Surprise, surprise when I fell for a long haired Englishman. We continued to work at the camp every summer for 5 yrs. Although, after the 2nd year I came to England and stayed on a 6 month travel permit every year to break up the amt of time we had to be apart. We got married in 2000. And he stayed in the US w me for nearly 10 yrs. We had 3 beautiful boys! In 2009 we decided to up sticks and move back to England to spend some time w his family. We have been here for 2 yrs now. I love it (although, thankfully, I had experienced life here in bits and pieces yrs before). The kids love it. A very BIG adjustment but well worth it. Its amazing what a drastic turn ur life can take in just a second. When I was that 17yr old girl I never thought life would end up this way. I love him more now than I ever knew I could have on that day in 1996. I know, I know, sicky sweet but every word is true.

« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2011, 04:49:25 PM »
My husband and I met via the internet on a program called ICQ. Have no clue how popular it is now, but back then (1998) it was hardly heard of by most people.
ICQ has a random chat finder, so you hit the random button and it comes up with someone, somewhere for you to instant message. He was in Sweden, I was in the US. I happened to be online and happened to be the one my husband got as a 'random' that day. It did not start out well though, he asked me where I live and being in Washington state I got so many foreigners asking me how the president is- wrong Washington! So I told him "in Washington state- US west coast" and his reply was "you mean East Coast?" so being fed up with people confusing Washington state and Washington DC I snapped back "NO, I mean west coast! Look on a map!!". He quickly redeemed himself though and I could tell he was not a jerk like I had initially assumed. So that was in June of 1998, we talked for months over the computer and phone, he came over to the US for the first time in September same year for something like 4 weeks and we did a bit of traveling together. Then he came again that Christmas for 2 weeks. I went to Sweden for 2 weeks in February and then went back again to Sweden with my two children in April for 3 months. He came back with us in Aug for a couple weeks, went back to Sweden to sell/give away everything and quit his job and came back to the US for good in Oct 1999. We married Dec 28th and had our first child Sept 28th- nine months to the day after our wedding.
Probably a little strange posting a 'how it all began' story about a Swede on a UK board, but the UK plays into it because it seems to be the common middle for us as far as where we will end up. It's closer to his family, which I adore, in Europe which I have always felt a huge connection to and not in Sweden which is what dh wants and would be so much easier for myself and the kids as none of us know Swedish.  ;) Plus I love the UK.  :)
9/11/2012 Husband mailed his US citizenship application.
9/17/2012 Received e-mail stating his application has been entered into the system.
9/22/2012 Hubby received letter with date for finger printing.
10/12/12 Hubby went for finger printing.
10/26/12 Dh got a letter stating when he should appear for his interview and test- 11/27/12- just a month away!!!
11/27/12 We went to dh's interview and test- he passed and we went back 4 hours later for the Oath Ceremony! 95 people from 38 countries, really pretty cool!
So he's now a US citizen!!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
Well, I met my SO through Twitter just over two years ago. I went on there to promote a blog I was writing, not to find somebody because I was already in a dying relationship. Well, we were just friends at first and then we became closer and closer until we realized that we were beginning to have feelings for one another. I couldn't leave the dying relationship I was in because of finances so things became very, very tense for me. So much so that I broke things off completely for about a year to deal with the whole dying relatiionship thingy.

Over this last summer I totally decided to leave the dying relationship because I was going to have the money to do so. In August I get a letter from my now SO out of nowhere telling me that he still thought of me all the time and would be there for me if I needed him. Was the most romantic thing I had ever read and have saved it in a ziplock bag for posterity. :) Needless to say I left the ex-boyfriend, moved back to the West coast and am now in a relationship with my Brit. I have bought tickets to go see him in February and I am so excited to get to finally meet him in person after all of this time. I know this may sound silly but both him and I know for certain that we are meant for one another. Some people may think that you can't fall in love with somebody that you meet over the internet but I disagree.  ;)
August 8 - Completed fiance application
August 14 - Did biometrics
August 15 - Paid for priority processing and sent application
August 16 - Application arrived in New York
August 17 - Email recieved that application was opened
October 8 - Email that fiance visa was approved
October 9 - Got my visa! :-)

« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
Some people may think that you can't fall in love with somebody that you meet over the internet but I disagree.  ;)

I'm sure you'll find many on this board that disagree with that statement as well!  ;)
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

« Reply #263 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
I'm sure you'll find many on this board that disagree with that statement as well!  ;)
HA! I think my mother thinks I'm totally insane. I really feel like I've gotten to know him better because we met online, as opposed to meeting in person. I know more things about him than I have known about anybody else I have ever been with.

« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2011, 07:27:22 AM »
HA! I think my mother thinks I'm totally insane.

My whole family did that to me too. Even to the point of getting upset with me over it. My sister was sure he would be a serial murderer,  ;D.

Some people may think that you can't fall in love with somebody that you meet over the internet but I disagree

Do people still feel this way? I remember it was a huge ordeal back in the late 90's but still? I think SO many people meet over the internet now.

I really feel like I've gotten to know him better because we met online, as opposed to meeting in person.

I totally understand this, I felt the same way! All that time spent talking is incredible.  ;)
9/11/2012 Husband mailed his US citizenship application.
9/17/2012 Received e-mail stating his application has been entered into the system.
9/22/2012 Hubby received letter with date for finger printing.
10/12/12 Hubby went for finger printing.
10/26/12 Dh got a letter stating when he should appear for his interview and test- 11/27/12- just a month away!!!
11/27/12 We went to dh's interview and test- he passed and we went back 4 hours later for the Oath Ceremony! 95 people from 38 countries, really pretty cool!
So he's now a US citizen!!

« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
My whole family did that to me too. Even to the point of getting upset with me over it. My sister was sure he would be a serial murderer,  ;D.

Do people still feel this way? I remember it was a huge ordeal back in the late 90's but still? I think SO many people meet over the internet now.

I totally understand this, I felt the same way! All that time spent talking is incredible.  ;)
I had quite a bit of a crying jag the other day because I was really wanting to be with him and my mother said that I shouldn't be acting like that at 40!LOL I didn't know that there was a cutoff age when it came to crying! ::)

• Amor Vincit Omnia
« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
I figure I may as well add my story!

Started 10yrs ago, My fiance' and I both posted on a controversial newsgroup on google. I made friends with a Guy from Australia and he used to have Huge MSN IM conference chats, where he'd invite tons of people from the newsgroup. He sent me a random invite one day and Nick was in it, Him and the guy from Aus were really good friends, and well Nick and I hit it off. I was really young so we maintained a flirty friendship, and we would tell each other everything! I knew I had feelings for him, but with the distance and such, plus he had a girlfriend. I never said anything. We kept in regular contact till i hit high school and my computer was zapped in a freak storm. I ended up losing all my friends emails and we lost contact till Christmas 2010 when he added me on facebook. It was like we had never lost contact! Just picked up from where we left off, except this time I was in a relationship, but it was dying fast. Within days of chatting for 12hrs at a time, he confessed he had feelings for me. He tried getting a visa to come visit the states in january but was turned down due to his record, So I broke up with my bf at the time, And after Nick and I made it *official* in April, I booked my flight and stayed for 2wks....well 3 due to a accident I had in the UK, lol It was love at first sight when he kissed me at the airport! I knew He was *The One* I went for my second visit just this September and he proposed on our 6month anniversary, Now we're getting married in January :)
To think if I had never gotten that chat invite....I never would have met him.. I shudder at the thought as he is the most amazing person I have ever met!
Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

• Banned

« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »

All of this rings true to me!!  Met on facebook...wound up meeting in person after I had holiday in france...first film we went to see in the theater was "The Social Network." that site has pretty much revolved around our relationship ever since we met on it. we can't wait to get married (33 days) and when I can come over there so we can stop communicating through it all bloody day!

« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »
I met my husband, K, in 2001.  We were both living in Taiwan and teaching ESL.  We worked for different branches of the same cram* school.  I had arrived in Taiwan just after the new year and shortly thereafter the owner of the schools had a Chinese New Year brunch for all the teachers.  He sat next to me at the brunch and I liked him right away--he had this thick Scottish accent and was hilarious.  A whole bunch of the foreign teachers (that's what we and the Taiwanese called us--the foreigners) went out for an epic drinking session to send off one of the teachers who was going travelling for a year.  I ended up talking to K the entire day and night.  Basically, we clicked instantly and got together about a month later.  We lived in Taiwan for two years and then Prague for six months and finally Boston for over seven years until we moved to Glasgow last year.  It has been an adventure, even when it's totally pedestrian like today as I post on a forum and he plays PS3.   :D

*A cram school is this evening school that helps students "cram" for their end of year tests.  There are ESL cram schools, history cram schools, science, math, and so on.  The Taiwanese kids go to school all day and then cram school all night.

« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
I met my wife before the Internet was even a wild dream... 33 years ago. I was in the USAF stationed in Berlin. About a year before that during training at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey (German, naturally) I had started skydiving.

I became a fanatic and continued pursuing my sport (or recreation, depending how you see it) in Germany. So I joined a German parachuting club in Berlin but due to the wall we had to drive out to West Germany to jump on the weekends.
Hey David, I was in the USAF from Dec 1976 to Dec 1980 at Vandenberg AFB CA. Didn't do anything nearly as exciting as parachuting but did plenty of drinking. I also met my ex wife before Al Gore invented the internet. ;D
So there it was in a grass covered drop zone in the beautiful north German village of Meissendorf that I met my future wife in 1978. When I got out of the air force in 1980 she came back to California with me and we married just months later.

And of course we've lived happily ever after!  ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab