55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95945 times)

• Liked: 35
Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »
For me:

1. I found a computer-related problem that I needed solving, solved it and posted the results on the Internet.
2. A person also in the UK contacted me about it, we became email-friends
3. My email-friend found an online chat system called BayMOO, hosted in San Francisco and he invited me to join
4. We chatted on there for several months. There were hundreds of people and general chaos. Text-based only back in 1996.

For her:

1. She was diagnosed with an illness
2. The illness kept her off work and stuck at home, bored
3. A friend told her a way to meet new people online, called BayMOO...
4. She chatted on there to random strangers for several months.

Among the text-based chaos we bumped into each other and started chatting. Back then the main problem was lag... you would be typing away and then the internet would slow down and it would take two minutes for your words to cross the world. This happened a lot. The fun of a slow uni connection and 57.6k modems at home.

So it all started with an illness and a problem!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #286 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:53 AM »
Like most people seem to say we met online. And I hate to admit where, but hey I met Craig there so it's all good right? Anyways we met online about 7 years ago on a computer game called IMVU.

We hit it off immediately and became really good friends, so much so that we added each other on Facebook. And then we both left the game and besides a message every so often we fully lost touch.

Then my sister and I decided to do a tour of Scotland about 3 years ago. Craig found out and insisted that we finally meet up. I was worried. There was always a chance he would end up being some kind of serial killer after all. However my sister insisted as well, so I had to agree.

To exactly one hour, in a public location, with my sister there to make sure I didn't get murdered.

My sister says my face instantly lit up when I saw him. We both knew immediately it was meant to be. And yet I still insisted we leave after that one hour, even after having an amazing time.

I headed back to Scotland myself a few months later, meeting up and staying with this man I barely knew but knew I was meant to be with. It was the scariest trip of my life. But we have exchanged trips ever since, we got married, and now I'm moving there.

• Liked: 20
« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
We both met in a bar – it is not as sleazy as it sounds.  At the time, I was an overworked and very underpaid contractor working in the defense industry.  Ever since I was a lad in the UK, I have really enjoyed politics, current affairs so I got involved in a social group that mixed political discussion and booze.  The group was mainly made up of young people trying to make their mark on the Washington political scene as junior lobbyists or very junior staff members for politicians.  They wanted to blow off steam and talk shop and I wanted to listen, so it became a regular, sanity-saving, thing for me.

Organizing the group, there was a young lobbyist who had studied in the UK and we bonded over a lack of good beer and Nandos.  She would regularly bring her colleagues and friends to this happy hour and on one occasion, my political friend brought her best friend to a happy hour.  We hit it off immediately, neither of us working in politics, and the evening passed in a flash. 

We added each other on Facebook, and attended quite a few more happy hours together, becoming really good friends.  Things just grew from there, she even turned down a job in another state to stay close to me and the rest, as they say, is history.   The moral of the story: you can meet nice girls in bars

• Liked: 0
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
We met at a summer camp in America in 1993. She was British and came for the summer I was American working at the camp for the summer. We had a five year long distance relationship this was before the internet so we just had letters and expensive phone calls. After 5 years we got married and she moved to America. We lived there 10 years and had our 2 boys. We moved to the Uk 10 years ago and have had a daughter while we have lived here. This summer will be 25 years since we met in a summer camp in America

• Liked: 4
« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2019, 05:27:23 AM »
Played an online game when I was 15/16, fast forward some years, I wanted to get back into online gaming. Found the game - mechwarrior online that was similar to what I played before. Downloaded it on Feb 6, 2014, joined a group within game. Husband ended up being one of the founding members. After few months of talking for hours over voice comms, and I wanted a vacation. I visited him in the UK, he wanted to take me around the country to places I hadn't been. I had to veto a few choices he made as I had been to the places. I love history and photography, and UK has both for me. By Oct 2014, we spent 3 weeks touring UK and enjoying ourselves. Came back home moved from Las Vegas to Denver. Went back for another 3 weeks over Christmas. He visited in June 2015, and again in December 2015 at which time we ended up getting married.

We are still seeking a lawyer to sue mechwarrior online for pain and sufferage they have caused us both. The pain is real. ;) But I never regretted looking for an online game and ended up finding a husband while I was at it...

• Liked: 2
« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2019, 12:41:58 PM »
I met my partner at a University in Germany where we were both studying.
We met on a library tour specially put on for international students. I'd attended the German language tour in the morning and he'd rocked up late and went to the English language one which scheduled second. One of our mutal friends spotted him lingering outside as we were leaving and said hi. She introduced us to each other, and he shook my hand rather cerimoniously. We've been together for around five years now and I managed to relocate from Germany and get a degree and a job in the UK, but I'll probably be sent back end of the year unless I can secure a steep pay rise but that's a story for another day!  ;) I recently proposed to my partner after a dinner in the shard, but he said he's not ready. And truthfully, neither am I. I'm taking night classes in computer programming in an attempt to fix myself but if that all fails, I'll be sent home, alone, end of the year bringing an end to this love story, unfortunately. All's fair in love and war. Wish me luck! :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
wow. so i guess im the only one on here who made a huge mistake in choice of partners. everyone else's posts i've read in this section, well it's a big fairy tale. happy for you. really.  ::)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »
wow. so i guess im the only one on here who made a huge mistake in choice of partners. everyone else's posts i've read in this section, well it's a big fairy tale. happy for you. really.  ::)

Are you really either that bitter, a troll, or that totally oblivious to your tone?

I’m sorry, respect to everybody but it’s hard to continue to be respectful, polite, and patient to a person that’s come off rude in tone time and time again here... if you’re really this bitter, please get yourself help as nobody deserves to have to like that way. If you’re a troll, try a hobby. If you’re that oblivious to the way you sound to others, pleas see point one about getting help as this might be why you are having some of the issues you’re having as you’re maybe inadvertently putting people off...

Sorry, I’m sure I’ll be told off soon but I can’t hold my tongue on this any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »
Also, it’s not all a big fairy tail. I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience with a partner and moving for a partner but that doesn’t mean there was no struggle for those of us you say have ended up as a “big fairy tale” before or after the good parts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »

Start a thread with “How did it all end?”  ;D  There will be plenty of those in 20 years time too!

« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »
Oops, this thread is only 15 years old.  You are running out of zombie threads!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #296 on: April 23, 2019, 07:01:12 PM »
Start a thread with “How did it all end?”  ;D  There will be plenty of those in 20 years time too!

I could contribute at least 4 stories to that thread!

« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2019, 07:07:21 PM »
I could contribute at least 4 stories to that thread!

I might have you beat on that one!  I’ve got a few zingers myself.  ;)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2019, 07:09:52 PM »

Go on then, tell us the story.  We've got time. 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
I mean, it is a fairy tale how I met my husband and ended up here. But now comes the hard bit of making it work. And things will either get better or I go home, but that doesn't change the story that brought me here to begin with. Would love to see the latter thread though, I'm sure many of the members here have some excellent stories!

Sponsored Links