55 (7.8%)
Through family
15 (2.1%)
As penpals!
13 (1.8%)
other
58 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 638

Topic: How Did It All Begin??  (Read 95942 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: How Did It All Begin??
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2004, 12:21:04 PM »
i moved to England for a job...the same day my plane landed, within 2 hours, I walked into Alister's office looking for a place to stay. He worked for a real estate agent and he was pratically the first person i met in the UK! Although i didn't end up renting one of his flats, he asked me out a week later anyway and we have been together ever since. He kept telling me how lucky he is that day when i walked into his office!!!

• Finally back in his arms...
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2004, 03:56:32 PM »
Well as my story has been written on here before but just as a recap - my husband and I met on a chat site (http://chat.lycos.co.uk) which I am a navigator (moderator) on. We met well over a year and a half ago and were pretty much inseperable from the day that we met. We could always be found roaming the 'ship' (the chat is based as if you were on a ship) together and eventually we got married on Lycos because we were so close. Much to everyone's surprise, we would be having a real life wedding four short months later.

He is really incredible, so glad that we met that day. He was one of the people who first helped me start getting to really know the chat and also helped me in getting more familiar with sports over here (ie. Rugby mostly as I was already a big football fan). I couldn't be more thankful for him coming into my life at the point that he did, he really gave me a better outlook on life and helped me become the person who I used to be long before all the horrible relationships I had endured.

But that's my story  ;D x x
So close no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart and nothing else matters...

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2004, 09:40:56 AM »
I was at LSE summer classes, and a guy (after looking at his schedule) came up to me and asked me a question about the schedule.  He had such amazing eyes that I answered anyways..... :) :)

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2004, 01:02:04 PM »
Well, OK, here goes....

One Friday before a long weekend, my friend Daria and I were at her office. While I waited for her to finish up so we could go to the pub, I started messing around on a computer and pulled up kiss.com. "Hey, we should post profiles on this site" I somewhat kiddingly told her. I had found this particular site because it was UK-US friendly and I had pretty much decided that I was going to go to England to do my Master's degree at some point in the near future....

We went out for a few pints (or more) and ended up in front of the computer again some hours later, this time just liquored up enough to do the deed and post our profiles. But you had to pay to be able to get replies. And neither of us were even vaguely interested in that. So I hid my email address in the text of my profile and figured that if a guy wasn't clever enough to figure it out and get through to me, I wasn't interested. My profile was specific and vaguley demanding  ;) as I figured that I'd messed about enough with guys who weren't quite right. So I listed my interests, said that I was only interested in honest, trustworthy, serious blokes - I was done serial dating. I wanted someone brave enough to answer what was a relatively intimidating profile....

I had a couple of responses but nothing too impressive. Then just when I was thinking that I was going to delete my profile... on 19 March, 2002... I got an email. And the first line was "As soon as I saw you, I knew you were the gal for me." Hmmm. Interesting.

So we started writing back and forth. Daily. Multiple times a day. Then instant messaging. Then... he dissapeared. Something I had written? I was crushed, but I wasn't about to act like it - afterall, I'd never even spoken to this bloke. So I sent two "where'd you go?" emails and then gave up.

A couple of weeks later he reappeared. He'd broken his leg playing footie and had been layed up in a cast and had been in too much pain and in too bad a mood to go online. And so the emailing started again. And then the phone calls. And I was begging for a photo (he didn't have a digital camera or a scanner and kept promissing to dig up  a "real" photo but he's a notorious procrastinator....) After about a month of badgering him (he'd seen my photo from the get go - now it was only fair to reciprocate!!!) I went to my mail box and stood in the hallway of my apartment building, holding an envelope with shaking hands, scared to death to open it. I just stared at the handwriting for ages. Finally I opened it. Three blokes in the picture. Only one I would say was "my type." Oh PLEASE let it be.... I turned over the photo and read the caption. OH THANK GOD, he's gorgeous!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

In May he said "I have to meet you." And within about a month I was picking him up at the San Francisco airport. We were both petrified, but as soon as we fell into each other's arms, I knew it was going to be fine and that this was different - it just felt different.

He volunteered to get a hotel, but I just had a hunch that it would be OK. And it was more than OK. It was 24 hours a day for 7 days of ease - never have I been able to or interested in spending that sort of time with someone (I'm big on alone time and independence) but it was lovely, fantastic, easy....

And now I have to say that I'm another one who doesn't have the wildly romantic thing going on - I've done "exciting" and "wildly romantic" and "intensely sexy" and "high drama" and it's always either fizzled out or gone out with a huge bang and become another failed relationship. But this one is just so easy and comfortable and secure. It's totally and completely different and totally and completely better. And I constantly think how lucky and happy I am to be with this guy and how completely in love I am with him....

Anyway, to wrap up this very long story, we spent the next year going back and forth (well, actually, because my schedule was more flexible, I was pretty much the one who did all the traveling!) and spent our one year anniversary in a lovely hotel in the Cotswolds in March, 2003. That September he came back to California, met my family, and I moved over on a student visa and we've lived together ever since.

Oh, and we're getting married ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!!!!  :o ;) ;D

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2004, 09:55:18 AM »
we're another couple who met in an online chatroom and were friends for 3 years before we both admitted how we felt about each other.
we've just celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary and looking foreward to many many more of them!

• Out of Dodge
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2004, 04:36:52 PM »
Daniel and I met through a travel website forum over two years ago. I offered to show him Los Angeles when he got there for his RTW and never ended up meeting up with him as I was working too much and he decided to stay in a hostel in Hermosa Beach -- 2 hrs with traffic from my house in Studio City on a good day.

We started chatting again through the website when he got back to the UK from his trip 9 months later. Then I started up my blog and he was my only commentor for a while (i.e. stalker  ;D ).

So April of this year I gave up a 6 month long job to go on a two week holiday to England, Dan offered me his couch for a couple days and fancy that, I never left.

We got married on 14th of September and are constantly planning our giant overland round the world trip which will be our belated honeymoon...

We always say that it is a good thing we never met in LA two years ago because he is convinced I would've hated his drinking loutish ways and we wouldn't be together now. Who knows?
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2004, 06:15:01 AM »
Al and I met at Bally's Total Fitness (an American gym). We went to a really small branch and so if you went around the same time everyday, you would always see the same people.

So, I would see him from time to time and we'd smile in passing. One day I complimented him on his nose ring (he said that I was the first person in Los Angeles to speak to him in the whole first month or so he that he was here).After we started dating, he later told me that after the first time he saw me he went to the gym at the same time for a month hoping to see me again.

One day he came up to me as I was stretching and said "no class today?" (he was referring to the high/low step class that I would take). I laughed and we had a brief conversation.

The next time we saw each other and talked for a minute more. He told me how he was an international student from the UK and that he was only going to be in Los Angeles for about 3 years or so and he didn’t have any friends. Being the social butterfly that I am, I told him to give me his number and the next time me and my friend did something I would invite him. So, about 2 weeks later (the day before Halloween) I invited him to a movie with us and one night turned into everyday. We were just friends for about 5 or 6 months and then one day my best friend told me that he confided in her that he "liked" me...and I realized that I had feelings for him too and knew I'd have to make the first move. So I did, I told him how I felt and...he kissed me and here we are 4 1/2 years later.

But unfortunately as most of you know we’ve been apart for the last 2 years. But hopefully, not for much longer.  ;D

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2004, 11:18:55 AM »
I met Matt through a phone call when a mutal friend called me in March of 2002, then again through the same friend we spoke in August of 2002.  Matt lived in England and I in Tennessee.  We then began to speak almost everyday and use the internet to get to know one another. We set a date to meet in NYC for a long weekendin Nov. 2002.  It was great seeing him in person.  I traveled to see him off and on for the next year.  We married in Sept. of this year and have a one year old son.  It has been a real adventure and a test of our love. Matt and I made a commitment to each other and our children.  We have romantic bits of our story and some very to realistic parts as well. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 11:09:58 AM by Maddierose »

• Sell crazy somewhere else, we're stocked up here
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2004, 01:28:56 PM »
Andy and I met on the internet through a mutual friend. A good friend of mine (who I also met on the internet) introduced us, she had met him in a chatroom. She actually went out with him for a while but it didn't work out and they never ended up meeting in person... then him and I started going out and now we're married and live together  :)

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2004, 05:45:19 AM »
I loooooove telling people how we met! I'm an American service member and Andy, who is from Scotland, is a British service member. We met in Saudi Arabia on deployment right before the war started in December 2002. We were all stuck on a tiny compound in the desert and the highlight of the week was playing BINGO in the Brtish Pub (no- no alcohol was allowed into the country. We all survived on Oranginas and pretended that they were spiked with Champagne!!...lol.) Anyhoo, It was a particularly crowded night and when he arrived, the only empty seat was next to me. We had only been in the region for a few weeks at this time. As it turned out, he ran the Brit medical center and I ran the American medical clinic. We were inseperable after our first meeting. We were both enthralled with the different cultures of medical care. We kept everything professional but couldn't help but notice that we kept reading each others' mind. After we both left the area, he came to visit me on a whim about a month later in the US and we haven't looked back. We hope to get married sometime this year and we both already consider ourselves married and already wear our bands.

I love this topic!!!

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2004, 09:57:05 PM »
I met the man of my dreams online on a personals site. I never expected to fall for someone so far away, and really wasn't looking to meet anyone. I just enjoyed the chat. But he and I have been talking online almost everyday for many months now, and I recently took a trip to the U.K. to meet him. It was fantastic, better than I could have imagined. I can't wait to see him again. I am not sure where this is going, but I do know I havent felt this way about anyone before, and I love the feeling!

I loved reading all of the stories here, very heart warming  [smiley=heart.gif]

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:29 PM »
We met a work conference at the hotel bar. We were attending the same boring conference and my coworker didn't want to go out, so I hit the hotel bar only to meet a group of brits having a good time :) I didn't actually meet him though until the bar closed and we were forced out into the lobby where we sat for 2hrs chatting it up and drunk as skunks. We didn't sleep much the rest of the week because we were to excited we had met! Love at first sight - that's for sure :)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2004, 01:09:22 AM »
We were both members of the Official Red Dwarf Fanclub.  I'd been posting on their members-only forums since the spring of 2002 when he started posting in July 2002.  Responded to a few posts (as anyone does on a message board like this) and then in December he got an AIM screenname and we started chatting.  Started off as friends but in January we'll have been a couple for 2 years!
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2005, 12:37:52 PM »
We met on a chat room called surfers aka telnet talker in 1998. We exchnaged phone numbers and talked almost daily. At one point we had a 13 hour phone conversation. Needless to say we kept BT in Business :-)
He came over to Cali for a week in 1999 and we were married one month later in Scotland. I packed up and moved on out and have been here since.
It's been a rollercoaster and we have had our ups and downs but I've never regretted a single moment. 6 years and 2 kids later we are still going strong.

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2005, 04:22:36 AM »
My wife and I met in the U.S. Army. We were stationed in the same unit in Baltimore. We knew each other for a few years and never dated until the two of us were sent to a training mission together ...in Honduras!
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab