Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Husband -American Wife moving to the UK HELP:)  (Read 5109 times)

• Liked: 0
British Husband -American Wife moving to the UK HELP:)
« on: October 15, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
Hi,
My husband and I have been married for 1 and half years  now.  He is a British citizen with permanent resident card in the US and I am American.  We have decided to move to England, where my husband has a job waiting for him.

How long does the visa process take?

Where do we begin?

Any tips??

We have been through all the American paper work when he filed to be a permanent resident, and it was a huge headache.  Not looking forward to doing this again :)

Also-we have a dog, whom we would like to move over to England...any tips on moving her over?

Thank you all in advance.  This site is really a nice tool to have!

Rachel

Re: British Husband -American Wife moving to the UK HELP:)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »
How long does it take?

Assuming you have all of your documentation together before you submit the online application and then get a biometrics appointment with a week of doing that and you overnight your documents with the Settlement Priority Service you're probably looking at 2-4 weeks, potentially less.

Gather all your stuff first. This is a good place to start: http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/spouse/

Apply online here: http://visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/

For your dog check out the Pets section of UKY and the DEFRA page on bring a pet under the PETS program. Pets will take about 6 months before they can enter the UK to avoid having to be in quarantine.

Tips?

Yeah, Don't panic...it's not really that difficult!  ;)

• Liked: 35
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
Hi,
My husband and I have been married for 1 and half years  now.  He is a British citizen with permanent resident card in the US and I am American.  We have decided to move to England, where my husband has a job waiting for him.

I would suggest you first look into your husband getting US citizenship. This would avoid the need for him to ever bother with US immigration in the future. Otherwise he risks losing his green card by moving back for for too long.

Andy

• Liked: 35
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Pets will take about 6 months before they can enter the UK to avoid having to be in quarantine.

If your dog is not microchipped or not up to date with rabies then there will also be a three to four week period between the rabies vaccination and the blood draw. There is a pets section on this forum with tons of information on the exact procedure.

Andy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the above information.

After looking through a few things I have a question about the 'financial requirements'

My husband is going to be starting a new job in England upon our arrival.  So we do not have any 'prior' pay stubs or anything.  This must be a common problem, as many people move for their work....

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
Thanks for the above information.

After looking through a few things I have a question about the 'financial requirements'

My husband is going to be starting a new job in England upon our arrival.  So we do not have any 'prior' pay stubs or anything.  This must be a common problem, as many people move for their work....

You'll just need his employment contract.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »
Hi,

My british hubby and I (american) moved over to England in Feb 2010, after living in the USA for 5 years.  The process for you is really very easy, very simple, and very quick, especially compared to what all hubby (yours, mine, others) have to go through in the USA for their green cards, etc. 

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it all was to do.  I like others stressed while I was going through it, but all for no reason. 

We also brough our 2 dogs over, which also was very easy to do.  It is time consuming as it is a 6 month process, but all well worth it in the end, now that I sit here typing this post and my 2 fur babies are playing beside me..  Just make sure you follow all the rules exactly.  Your Vet should know all about the process or they can read up on it.  Our dogs were the first our Vet had don, but they took the time to do all the reading up on the rules & regulations and took care of everything for us, walking us through it all.  We flew BA and they were awesome with our dogs, as was the Animal Reception Center in London where you pick them up.

Where are you moving to over here?

Best of Luck,
Nemie

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab