Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Americans in scotland  (Read 11679 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Americans in scotland
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
Hi I am in Edinburgh. I have been here for two years. :)

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »
Me too.  I've lived here for almost 10 years now.
 ;)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
I'm now officially in South Uist.  Not that it's particularly conducive to any meet-ups, etc. :)

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »
Another one here in Inverness, been living here for nearly 5 years.
"Sometimes 'nothing' can be a real cool hand."

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
Hi.  My husband and I moved to Glasgow a year ago.  I'm originally from the Detroit area.  Strangely, it's not hard to find other Americans in our neighborhood on the south side (Strathbungo; Pollokshields West).  I've always thought it would be nice to get a big group together for a regularly occurring pub night, though.

• Oklahoma Rollergirl
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
I know this topic is pretty old, but since all the Americans (in Scotland) appear to be in this thread, I figured I'd just ask.
Did any of you obtain Visas to move/work in Scotland without getting married?

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
I came over as a student to do a master's and am now on a Tier 1 PSW visa, which is about to not exist anymore.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Oklahoma Rollergirl
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
I came over as a student to do a master's and am now on a Tier 1 PSW visa, which is about to not exist anymore.

I'm so jealous.. and that last bit makes me sad.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
I know this topic is pretty old, but since all the Americans (in Scotland) appear to be in this thread, I figured I'd just ask.
Did any of you obtain Visas to move/work in Scotland without getting married?

Yes, I am on a work permit visa! I'm an engineer with certain certifcations with several years experience, so it made it a good case for my employer to hire me. However, this was 4 years ago and now work visas are very hard to come by and a few tiers aren't leading to settlement. 
Don't loose heart Drew, where there's a will, there's a way and things change all the time.  Who knows, the economy could pick up and there won't be enough people for all the work and they'll need to open categories again. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »
Hi.  Another newbie.  Living in West Lothian for a month now and loving it.  We are so glad we moved to Scotland. ;Dd.

• Reverse the Polarity!
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of us here :) I'm up here in Inverness, and have been since summer of 2008, now on indefinite leave (huzzah!). Funny, when you tell people you're from California, they look at you like you were crazy to move here, lol. Maybe I was, but I bagged a great husband and have a toddler and another on the way this summer! So far, a pretty good trade to say the least :)
If there's any other "Invernesians" out there, hit me up!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
Hi CA girl there are a few of us about- I'm one, noriem, kathleen (who doesn't post on here much at all these days) and a few I know of not on the forum. Lots of us considering how small of a place it is really. Its too big for my liking though!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »
Another one, here.  :)
I stay in the west end of Glasgow.  I've lived in various places in the 26 years I've been in the UK... London, Edinburgh, Linlithgow... but Glasgow is my favourite place.  :)

• Reverse the Polarity!
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
Hi CA girl there are a few of us about- I'm one, noriem, kathleen (who doesn't post on here much at all these days) and a few I know of not on the forum. Lots of us considering how small of a place it is really. Its too big for my liking though!

;D Great news! If I'm honest, I've been pretty lonely up here without the company of Americans and basic familiarity. But I'm so glad I was told about this site, it'll be a great place to connect with like-minded people in the same boat as me...
Have you tried out the new American diner?? I've been eager to go in, but I just checked out the prices and I was thrown off somewhat. But I'd be willing to pay if I know the food is worth it - I'm not looking for the British version of American food, especially in a place called Route 66. For those prices, I want the real deal lol.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
Hi CA-Girl.  I'm also in Scotland-- the Western Isles.  So, not exactly close to Inverness, but I do get there about once a year.  If it makes you feel any better, I'd love to live in Inverness.  Infinitely more to do than there is out here. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab