Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Vorkosigan eBooks free from Baen  (Read 3996 times)

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
Vorkosigan eBooks free from Baen
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »
To celebrate the release of Lois McMaster Bujold's latest book in the Vorkosigan universe Baen released all of the novels and short stories -  including the new one! - for free:
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/24-CryoburnCD/CryoburnCD/

If you're not familiar with the series, Bujold is one of my favorite authors and these are some of her best books. It's space opera set around a planet that got cut off from the rest of the universe, reverted to a fedual society, and then was forceably reintroduced to the "modern" universe. It's three generations later and Miles is the brilliant but crippled son of the greatest military leader/politician/man the world has ever known. He sets out to make a name for himself and, well, hijinks ensue.

"Cordelia's Honor" has the two prequels about his mother and the rest of the anthologies group the books in chronological order.

• unabridged opinions
Re: Vorkosigan eBooks free from Baen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
EEEE! Cheers for this. I adore BAEN's oh-so-sensible ebook stance. And love their authors, will definitely give this a try!

They also represent PC Hodgell. Who is up there on my "most amazing authors ever" list. If you have a chance, you should check her out!

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »
Will do, thanks!

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »
I had downloaded all this a couple of months ago and I'm now just starting the last omnibus.

Holy moley how I love it!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
Aren't they brilliant? One book, Memory, isn't there. It comes between Mirror Dance and Komarr and is really important plotwise. Or if it was there I missed it somehow. Hmm.

She wrote a few epic fantasy books: Curse of the Challion, Paladin of Souls, and a spin-off whose name escapes me (Wild Hunt? Winter Hunter?).  The first two are just incredible and the spin-off is pale in their shadows.

There's also a fantasy romance series which is cute but not as good as the Vorkosigan or Challion books.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that Memory wasn't in there and bought the ebook. The author writes about it in the beginning of Miles, Mutants and Microbes. Apparently it just couldn't fit in the format they did for all the omnibuses (one novel and two novellas) so they decided to leave it out.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »
Oh, I know that. I was just sad that they didn't include it on the downloads page.  Not that I have any problem paying for her books (I had paper copies of all of them back in the US) but I got to Memory and went "Ah! Where is it?" and it's not available in the kindle store, either so it took a bit more doing than usual  :)

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
Did you notice that Labyrinth is in the omnibuses twice? That was only slightly annoying having to flick through it on my ereader.

I've looked into Baen's library. I do like the fact that they give free books. They seem to have some fun scifi.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »
Yeah, if you read the author's fore/afterwords she talks about why. Basically, it fit thematically and the anthology was going to retail for the same price whether they included it or not so they went ahead and included it. What ereader are you using? I read it on my Kindle for Android, pulled up the table of contents from the menu and jumped to the next book.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
Ah. I have a Sony Ereader. It doesn't have that function. I just had to randomly "flip" to a page to see if how close to the end I was.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
Really? That seems less than useful.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »
Yeah, it could do with a function like yours but on the whole I love my ereader.

I just started Cryoburn and feeling really sad that it's nearly over. boo!

On the other hand, I've just downloaded 1632 and 1633 from Eric Flint (from the free library). I like the sound of the story.

Sponsored Links