Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: E-readers  (Read 7020 times)

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: E-readers
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 11:49:25 AM »
equestrianerd, have you decided on one yet?

I bought a Kindle last weekend, and it arrived this week. :) So far I'm almost loving it...only complaints I have are that it's somehow gotten a tiny scratch on the screen already (but I just talked with Amazon and they're sending me a brand new one as well as free shipping of this one back to them, so yay for that!). Other issue is that organizing books on it is a bit of a PITA (you have to manually select each book's category), but I think there are third-party apps that can help with that some.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 03:08:33 PM »
I switch back and forth between my accounts when I travel, because the kindle recognizes where you are when you start to shop, so you can't buy stuff from the US on it, despite having the US account.

The website loads to the UK one, but if you log in with your US account you can buy things from the US website. Failing that, buy ebooks from the US store when you're on your computer and have them sent to your kindle.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »
Really?  I haven't found that to be the case - when I turn it on and I'm logged into my US account but in the UK, it doesn't let me shop for the e-books on the US site from my Kindle.

I haven't done it from the computer, though.  I'm usually buying on the fly. 

• British by descent
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
Really?  I haven't found that to be the case - when I turn it on and I'm logged into my US account but in the UK, it doesn't let me shop for the e-books on the US site from my Kindle.

I believe it checks IP address as well as the country you have associated with your kindle. I've successfully gotten Amazon's US-based free e-books by using a VPN, changing my kindle's country to US, buying the books, and then changing the country back (which allows me to browse/buy e-books from the UK store again).

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
Ah, okay.  I mean, it hasn't been too much of a hassle, I visit often enough - I just knew the minute that I landed back here and left it on the US setting, I wasn't able to still buy the books. 

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:24:11 PM »
Just give them a ring. I was blocked from US account at first, but my boy rang Amazon US, told them he was a US citizen abroad and now my kindle is centred to the US kindle store on all my kindle devices (mac, iphone, ipad, kindle) I find the US store has better choice and as my bank doesn't charge for foreign transactions, it's normally cheaper :)

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
I LOVE MY KINDLE! I can get the New Yorker here! Hooray!

I have the kindle attached to my U.S. Bank account. Just as a sidenote, our IP address is regularly registered to the U.S. because we have (paid for) a US telephone number through Skype, so family would call us. They would never call if they had to dial extra numbers... (sigh)

But, it helps to trick the kindle, it seems.

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
I LOVE MY KINDLE! I can get the New Yorker here! Hooray!

I have the kindle attached to my U.S. Bank account. Just as a sidenote, our IP address is regularly registered to the U.S. because we have (paid for) a US telephone number through Skype, so family would call us. They would never call if they had to dial extra numbers... (sigh)

But, it helps to trick the kindle, it seems.

Glad you love the kindle but that makes no sense IP address wise just fyi :)

You're probably having no issues accessing the US store because it was bought in the US and is registered with a US Bank car
d, therefore you're classed as an "US citizen abroad" and allowed to access the US store. My kindle is registered to my MiL's address albeit with a UK debit card and I'm registered with the US store despite having a UK IP.

Here's some reading on IP addresses -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »
I would strongly recommend against the Nook if you live outside of the US. You cannot purchase ebooks from B&N if you have a non-US IP.

Uh oh!  Does that mean that the Nook I currently have won't work once I move to the UK???  I won't be able to buy books anymore? <having minor panic attack at the thought of being deprived of my Nook addiction>

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »
I think you may be able to buy them on your computer and then transfer them to your Nook? I don't know.   I moved to the UK around the time time the Nook was released and at the time the advice was to fill it with books before I moved and buy more when I came back to visit. As you can imagine, this didn't fill me with sunshine and bunnies.

The good news is that you'll still be able to read anything that's loaded on your Nook before you leave the US.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
I use an iPad and have about 100 pdf books on it.  It's basically with me 24/7.  I use the 3 finger zoom on my pdfs and love how the font doesn't anti-alias.

Last week I got an iPad projector at a duty free shop stateside and now use it in bed to beam movies and videos onto the ceiling.  And I can absolutely confirm that it's SUPERB.  You just lay there in bed and look up, can life get much better than that?  My wife loves it because she can sleep if the movie gets boring.

I subscribe to everything, but the best news app is arguably the BBC iPad app which is free.  I'm going to subscribe to the new 'The Daily' once it stabilizes. 

So my vote would go for iPad.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »
I use an iPad and have about 100 pdf books on it.  It's basically with me 24/7.  I use the 3 finger zoom on my pdfs and love how the font doesn't anti-alias.

Last week I got an iPad projector at a duty free shop stateside and now use it in bed to beam movies and videos onto the ceiling.  And I can absolutely confirm that it's SUPERB.  You just lay there in bed and look up, can life get much better than that?  My wife loves it because she can sleep if the movie gets boring.

I subscribe to everything, but the best news app is arguably the BBC iPad app which is free.  I'm going to subscribe to the new 'The Daily' once it stabilizes. 

So my vote would go for iPad.

ooooh, iPad projector.  Hmmm, we will be stateside in a month or so, I will keep my eye out. I've just recently downloaded the"Bluefire" reading app as it allows me to read Adobe DRM'd books (like ones I check out from the Open Library"). Not so great w/ PDFs, but the iBook app is so that doesn't matter.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
My DF gave me a kindle!

• British by descent
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
My DF gave me a kindle!

Yay! :) I love mine.

• Yorkshire Yank
    • my blog
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »

I have a Kindle, it's my most prized possession  ;D  and I still buy eBooks from the US site and haven't had any problems. I just connect to the wireless on the Kindle, go on the pc and choose what I want, and it wirelessly downloads, it's never not let me or made me go to the UK site. I'd just prefer to stick with the US site, as it has more books available.
Fiancee visa approved 17 Dec. 2010
Arrived in UK 23 Dec. 2010
Married 26 April 2011
FLR(M) application posted 17 May 2011
Received Biometrics letter 28 May 2011
Biometrics done 8 June 2011
Biometrics Residence permit received 23 June 2011
SET(M) application posted 6 June 2013
Biometrics letter received 22 June 2013
Biometrics done 28 June 2013
Received my documents and letter that my BRP is being issued 6 July 2013

Sponsored Links