Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 514620 times)

• Liked: 958
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #6795 on: December 13, 2017, 02:59:54 AM »
Yeah, the meal choices people sometimes make for a group.... years of watching people order a pork-only meal, when we had vegans, Kosher Jewish, and a Muslim guy in the office.  I am becoming more intolerant of jerks the older I get, I guess.  >:(

Daughter worked in a place for a while where one group of employees, who had been there for eons, wanted to have the office Christmas meal in a fancy-schmancy seafood restaurant. Two others in the office could not eat seafood - allergic, one to the point that she carried an Epi-pen with her for the "party". One of the other staff with an allergy was a Jewish girl, so the committee ordered an "alternative" meal for her.  Filet Mignon.  Which comes wrapped in streaky bacon. She had had a bite of it before she realized it was wrapped in bacon. Went into the loo and was sick, poor thing, and then really upset the rest of the day. The poor girl couldn't touch anything on her plate and ended up having bread (from another plate) and lemonade for her meal, with people giving her static for not being grateful that they'd ordered her something other than the fish meal the rest were served. The Daughter said she spent quite some time consoling her, telling her it wasn't her fault that she ate pork and that, surely, God wasn't going to hold it against her since she had no idea.  I don't think the "entertainment committee" even bothered to apologize to the young woman.   :o :-X

Sigh.
That is brutal. I almost think that girl would have won a lawsuit had she filed one for that treatment. That is pretty much my worst nightmare!

My old team was really good about it, they'd send out the menu ahead of time and ask if there was anything I could eat and if no, put in a special order. We had a large number of vegans for religious reasons as well so they were always conscious about options. Awareness is growing but when you have food issues and can't just eat whatever anyone brings into the office it feels like it does still call attention in a negative way.

• Liked: 1893
Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #6796 on: December 13, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
This kind of stuff (not forcing people to drink alcohol, being respectful of vegetarians and even vegans, not smoking in the doorway, are all what people are complaining about when they moan about  how "political correctness " is taking over society.  Good as far as I am concerned, it's not politically correct, it's common courtesy.  I think vegans are silly, but I have enough courtesy to want them to be able to enjoy a meal because it's basic humanity.

When Farage says he is against political correctness, he really means he just enjoys being a jerk to people that are not exactly like him.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:00:34 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #6797 on: December 14, 2017, 03:58:06 AM »
This kind of stuff (not forcing people to drink alcohol, being respectful of vegetarians and even vegans, not smoking in the doorway, are all what people are complaining about when they moan about  how "political correctness " is taking over society.  Good as far as I am concerned, it's not politically correct, it's common courtesy.  I think vegans are silly, but I have enough courtesy to want them to be able to enjoy a meal because it's basic humanity.

When Farage says he is against political correctness, he really means he just enjoys being a jerk to people that are not exactly like him.

Yeah I have to agree. The lack of courtesy I've experienced repeatedly because of being "different" is not something I would want to put anyone through. I will say, I want to do a photography campaign of people wearing cute face masks explaining WHY they wear them ... to protect us from everyone else, not the other way around, and maybe in time we'd stop being harassed so much. It's really discouraging the number of people who just become homebound because they can't deal with the stress of stares, photos, and general nastiness that happens outside of their home when all they're trying to do is survive. :(

The guardian has done a really nice piece to bring some of the daily challenges of disabled people to light, if anyone wants to read it. https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/series/disability-diaries

Amid challenges like this from the tories: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/07/philip-hammond-causes-storm-with-remarks-about-disabled-workers  (yet they don't consider things like traffic and trains and mental health as causes behind lost productivity)

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #6798 on: December 14, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
It could have been worse, he could have done an impression of a disabled person, speaking funny and throwing his arms around like a certain president I know.....

« Reply #6799 on: December 14, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
It could have been worse, he could have done an impression of a disabled person, speaking funny and throwing his arms around like a certain president I know.....
I am happily leaving the US I am sure you've picked up on my thoughts about the entire current administration and Congress!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 116
« Reply #6800 on: December 16, 2017, 01:01:32 AM »
This is such a tiny inconvenience but it does get annoying.  Our heater in this flat works really well (goodbye to the storage heater in our old place!) but it really dries out my skin.  I guess I have to up my moisturizer game.  But ALSO the whole flat gets some condensation and whatnot and we're constantly running around drying it out and airing everything out to prevent mold.  I generally don't mind winter but these two little things flare up on the same days and I have to keep on top of them!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #6801 on: December 16, 2017, 01:09:25 AM »
This is such a tiny inconvenience but it does get annoying.  Our heater in this flat works really well (goodbye to the storage heater in our old place!) but it really dries out my skin.  I guess I have to up my moisturizer game.  But ALSO the whole flat gets some condensation and whatnot and we're constantly running around drying it out and airing everything out to prevent mold.  I generally don't mind winter but these two little things flare up on the same days and I have to keep on top of them!
Oh, that would be frustrating! I just use coconut oil but it seems to work well for me. Buffalo winters have always been brutal. There must not be enough insulation so heat in the flat is causing condensation on the cold walls/windows even though the air is really dry. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 770
« Reply #6802 on: December 16, 2017, 11:11:02 PM »
My pic was hijacked from Reddit and is being spread around the internets. Making someone else money. Lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5175065/Transformations-weight-loss-does-face.html

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 223
« Reply #6803 on: December 17, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »
My pic was hijacked from Reddit and is being spread around the internets. Making someone else money. Lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5175065/Transformations-weight-loss-does-face.html

That's annoying. Are both the before and after pics yours or did they randomly put two pics together?

Can you do anything to get your pic removed from their site? I don't trust the Daily Mail one bit and wouldn't want my photo on there, especially without my permission.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #6804 on: December 17, 2017, 12:41:39 AM »
That's annoying. Are both the before and after pics yours or did they randomly put two pics together?

Can you do anything to get your pic removed from their site? I don't trust the Daily Mail one bit and wouldn't want my photo on there, especially without my permission.
No, they are my real pictures. I lost 200lbs.

And it's not just on The Daily Mail... something Panda, The Chive and pretty much all the like picked up the story.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #6805 on: December 17, 2017, 01:45:44 AM »
Oh, that would be frustrating! I just use coconut oil but it seems to work well for me. Buffalo winters have always been brutal. There must not be enough insulation so heat in the flat is causing condensation on the cold walls/windows even though the air is really dry. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried it but it isn't magical for me like it is for so many others!  Lots of applications of the nivea lotion, occasionally with Lush brand, are helping a little now.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #6806 on: December 17, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »
I have tried it but it isn't magical for me like it is for so many others!  Lots of applications of the nivea lotion, occasionally with Lush brand, are helping a little now.
Coconut oil can be very drying to a lot of people and it needs to be mixed with another oil like Shea Butter, jojoba or almond oil.

« Reply #6807 on: December 17, 2017, 01:54:54 AM »
No, they are my real pictures. I lost 200lbs.

And it's not just on The Daily Mail... something Panda, The Chive and pretty much all the like picked up the story.

Oh no :( I think you can contact the original publisher and Google to take down the photos. It's all usually reprinted from one AP source or similar. Being in the EU actually may help you here, their digital privacy laws are more stringent than the US.

« Reply #6808 on: December 17, 2017, 01:56:46 AM »
Coconut oil can be very drying to a lot of people and it needs to be mixed with another oil like Shea Butter, jojoba or almond oil.

I've literally never had problems with it, and with all my allergies that's rare! But the genetic condition I comes with elastic skin so that could be part of why it works so well for me.

« Reply #6809 on: December 17, 2017, 02:01:49 AM »
Oh no :( I think you can contact the original publisher and Google to take down the photos. It's all usually reprinted from one AP source or similar. Being in the EU actually may help you here, their digital privacy laws are more stringent than the US.

The photo is stolen from Reddit. I'm not really all that concerned about it. Other than all my people seeing it on their Facebook feed and tagging me in them. And my daughter's girlfriend saw it on Snapchat. Lol. Was like, "Hey... don't know how to tell you I saw your mom in the news."

At least it was something positive and not from my stripper days. (J/k)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:03:28 AM by nctami72 »

Sponsored Links