Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513785 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #6900 on: January 19, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
IA: I have a pressure headache that is bad enough that work will be rough tonight, but not bad enough to call out sick.  Ahh.  I've already taken 2 Aleve so hopefully I'll be okay before going in, but my head feels very bad right now!

Oh no! Also drink as much water as you can! For some reason, water is like the magical healer for everything haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6901 on: January 19, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
IA: I have a pressure headache that is bad enough that work will be rough tonight, but not bad enough to call out sick.  Ahh.  I've already taken 2 Aleve so hopefully I'll be okay before going in, but my head feels very bad right now!
Aw. My sinuses are rough right now, causing similar. I hope you feel better quickly!

I'll be attempting to clear mine with a neti pot later. I can't tell if it's more allergies or if I'm getting sick. :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6902 on: January 19, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
I have cousins who live on a farm and they say they put steel wool all around the pipes under the sinks etc anywhere where they think there is a tiny opening as the mice can’t chew through it

Ooh, this is a good idea.  And we have a large quantity of very fine steel wool in the workshop.  Do we want the fine stuff, or something more coarse?

Edited to add:  I'm not sure how I missed all these mouse comments last week.  Sorry to distract from the headache... or am I?  Yay for distraction!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:24:29 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #6903 on: January 20, 2018, 02:27:28 AM »
Oh no! Also drink as much water as you can! For some reason, water is like the magical healer for everything haha
Ha!  Normally when I'm ok I drink a lot of water but when I have headaches that make me feel nauseated, sometimes water makes me puke.  I was too worried it would be like that today.  I had coffee instead and it helped a little.

Oh, that is annoying!  2 Aleve and you still have the headache?  Did you just take them and they haven't kicked in yet, or is this really bad?
They took like 2-3 hours to kick in!  So annoying.  Usually it's an hour tops.  But when I got to work, all of the other people in management had the same headache.  We were wondering if maybe it's pressure related to weather changes or something.  Or else we're all sick, again.  I think that's unlikely though.  Most of us have already had all of the things going around.

Aw. My sinuses are rough right now, causing similar. I hope you feel better quickly!

I'll be attempting to clear mine with a neti pot later. I can't tell if it's more allergies or if I'm getting sick. :(

Feel better!!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 18
« Reply #6904 on: January 20, 2018, 07:30:59 AM »
Ooh, this is a good idea.  And we have a large quantity of very fine steel wool in the workshop.  Do we want the fine stuff, or something more coarse?

If possible, use either stainless steel wool or aluminium wool. Regular steel wool will leave horrible rust stains everywhere you put it if it's exposed to moisture at all.  Don't ask how I know this.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6905 on: January 20, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

Had that earlier this week. As usual, having some seriously spicey food opened the sinuses right up - and then the cold air got in there and stung like crazy, but proved they'd been blocked and needed a flush.... Seriously, our first line of offense in the war on sinus stuff is a flaming hot salsa and chips (or the equivalent). Works like a charm, most times.

« Reply #6906 on: January 20, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »
Had that earlier this week. As usual, having some seriously spicey food opened the sinuses right up - and then the cold air got in there and stung like crazy, but proved they'd been blocked and needed a flush.... Seriously, our first line of offense in the war on sinus stuff is a flaming hot salsa and chips (or the equivalent). Works like a charm, most times.
Sadly my stomach can't handle it but that is my husbands method ;) I have really bad tmj and lack of sleep + stress made it flare and block my ears again. It was allergies still on top of that :( me and london do not get on at all, 3 weeks til this hellish start to life here is over and we move to a quiet place with our own entrances. Seriously hoping the new neighbours don't smoke!

I also learned last night there *hard* buttons spread around our mattress. I thought my hips were getting worse because I kept waking up with bruises... Nope. So there is another thing that has to be replaced rather quickly because it's also in awful shape after just 2 years of use. John Lewis has no warranty on their mattresses which is insane to me!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6907 on: January 20, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
Ha!  Normally when I'm ok I drink a lot of water but when I have headaches that make me feel nauseated, sometimes water makes me puke.  I was too worried it would be like that today.  I had coffee instead and it helped a little.

I NEED coffee or I get headaches! haha I am actually the opposite and rubbish at drinking water. like I struggle to get the bear minimum I need a day in my system so I thought I would throw it out there just in case LOL

Were you okay by the time you had to work?? :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6908 on: January 20, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »
Mostly ok, thanks! Did not puke so that is going to count as a win.
Spouse Visa:

• Liked: 56
« Reply #6909 on: January 21, 2018, 12:23:23 AM »

This time of year when the big storms come in I get awful sinus/pressure headaches. I haven't had them this bad since I moved from the high desert, and that was 12+ years ago now. Cripes, I made it through the 2010 "landicane" super low pressure system storm in Minnesota (a storm which followed me for ten days in fact as I picked it up the weekend before in California and it kept right behind me from MN to Chicago to Atlanta to London to Brussels over the rest of my vacation!) with nary a headache but HERE - oh here they are bad. So bad that I apologize at work for being a total space cadet and can't focus. That's if I make it in (or they develop at work) - sometimes they are so bad I have to lay there with ice pack on my face in a dark room and call in to work because otherwise I feel quite sick.

I usually keep some Sudafed Max Sinus in my work bag and gym bag, as well as some max strength Nurofen. Either of those will at least start the process quickly and provide relief. Caffeine = A Good Idea too as it dilates the blood vessels - I've learned over the years that if the pills are just not quite doing the job, usually a can of Coke will put it over the top and clear everything up. I also clean my sinuses every few weeks with the squirt bottle thing.

Regarding the mattress - we had that problem at our last place and got a mattress pad as a stop gap solution until we could order a memory foam topper.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #6910 on: January 21, 2018, 12:53:56 AM »
I NEED coffee or I get headaches! haha I am actually the opposite and rubbish at drinking water. like I struggle to get the bear minimum I need a day in my system so I thought I would throw it out there just in case LOL

I'm fanatical about drinking water.

I was visiting my Dad and noticed he was quite confused and was teetering from side-to-side and suddenly collapsed. I was alone in an area far from other people so I had to carry him and take him to his truck and I drove him to the ER. It turned out that he was dehydrated and was put on an IV drip. I ended up tearing a ligament in my lower back from carrying him to his car.

I am always harassing my husband and kids to drink water. They hate telling me they have some sort of ailment because I force them to drink copious water first before I decide to give them medicine. They joke that they can break a limb and I'll tell them to drink water before going to the ER. Lol

Btw, I hope you're feeling better MPI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6911 on: January 21, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
Thanks everyone. I am feeling better. Perhaps it was the rainy weather coming in (maybe combined with hormones or something ).

Coke was mentioned above. Cherry coke is a pretty good headache cure but that day I realized my Tesco stopped carrying it! Has the sugar tax come into place yet? First no us style ginger ale and now this lol. I only drink soda when I am unwell so I've lost track of what is available and what isn't.
Spouse Visa:

• Liked: 537
« Reply #6912 on: January 21, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am feeling better. Perhaps it was the rainy weather coming in (maybe combined with hormones or something ).

Coke was mentioned above. Cherry coke is a pretty good headache cure but that day I realized my Tesco stopped carrying it! Has the sugar tax come into place yet? First no us style ginger ale and now this lol. I only drink soda when I am unwell so I've lost track of what is available and what isn't.
Nope, the tax is not in yet. Husband keeps telling me I'm going to have to cut waaaay back. And I do agree... But I like soda.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #6913 on: January 21, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »
It's not the type of thing I follow, but our Coke supplier at work asked if we wanted the lower sugar version or the regular one for a higher price, apparently.  We often give it to diabetics though so we have to keep the regular one so it's effective for hypoglycemia!

Originally I didn't capitalize coke and it looks like we buy drugs. 
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #6914 on: January 21, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
It's not the type of thing I follow, but our Coke supplier at work asked if we wanted the lower sugar version or the regular one for a higher price, apparently.  We often give it to diabetics though so we have to keep the regular one so it's effective for hypoglycemia!

Originally I didn't capitalize coke and it looks like we buy drugs.
You don't keep fruit juice on hand for diabetics? Surely that's better for them than coke!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links