Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513204 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #6975 on: February 20, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »
I've been advised that bananas help with acid.  And I've heard that bananas make it worse.

I think it is whatever works for you.  The banana option is worth trying to see if it does the trick - simply because you just peel and eat.  Never underestimate my laziness.

I think we would get along just fine. That level of lazy works for me perfectly lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6976 on: February 20, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »
Ranitidine (Zantac) is AMAZING for pretty instant relief of acid reflux.  Any pharmacy will sell it.

I do like to have Pepto chewables at hand as well but you can only get those behind the counter (bit of a pain).

• Liked: 149
« Reply #6977 on: February 20, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
Ranitidine (Zantac) is AMAZING for pretty instant relief of acid reflux.  Any pharmacy will sell it.

I only get the issue once in a rare while.....I do have some of these tablets in a drawer. They seem to work and the results last for a day or so which is long enough for the problem to go away. I drink a LOT of Diet Coke....doesn't seem to be an issue. Fatty foods might be a cause for me (like after a huge Indian takeaway). I find the chew-able tablets do nothing for me....
Fred

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #6978 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:52 PM »
Ranitidine makes me  [smiley=puke.gif]
Omeprazole is much better (for me), but takes a wee while to kick in.  But I actually prefer liquid Gaviscon (and you can get in travel sachets).  I try not to take anything unless I really have to. 

Spoiler: show
PMS also really makes my reflux kick in
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #6979 on: February 20, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »
Ranitidine makes me  [smiley=puke.gif]
Omeprazole is much better (for me), but takes a wee while to kick in.  But I actually prefer liquid Gaviscon (and you can get in travel sachets).  I try not to take anything unless I really have to. 

Spoiler: show
PMS also really makes my reflux kick in

Gaviscon (or the Asda equiv) doesn't seem to do anything for me....although it tastes good :)
The barfing emoticon is my new favorite.
Fred

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6980 on: February 20, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
Gaviscon (or the Asda equiv) doesn't seem to do anything for me....although it tastes good :)
The barfing emoticon is my new favorite.

The barfing emoji has proven quite the popular one for me as of late. Can be used in so many scenarios!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6981 on: February 20, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »
It doesn't work on my phone. I get a text alternative.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #6982 on: February 23, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
Ugh. My IA for today...

We just moved into a new house, not the most expensive but certainly not cheap, and there have been nothing but small annoyances mostly related to it being made for fully able people and not realising these were things I had to worry about. The outside door is so stiff I hurt my fingers trying to turn the key. The previous tenant used so much air freshener that even after 2 weeks of airing out it still makes me sick. And I dislocated a finger trying to turn off the shower because it was so stiff and has nothing to hold onto (sleek appearance, but useless). She warned us that the previous tenant had issues with water backing up into their washing machine, but said she'd replaced the plumbing. So we buy a fancy new LG washer that sings when you turn it on. Husband tested it out last week and it seemed ok, but Sunday is his laundry day so he hadn't opened it since. I just got back from the US so have piles of laundry to do, open the door and without thinking throw in the first few clothes. Then I'm hit with the most awful smell ever. There's 2" of standing water visible in the basin, smells of mold and new rubber. I nearly vomit and I'm just so done with all the crap. We pay way too much for this. :( I still want to go home, but no longer have a home to go to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6983 on: February 23, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »
Ugh. My IA for today...

We just moved into a new house, not the most expensive but certainly not cheap, and there have been nothing but small annoyances mostly related to it being made for fully able people and not realising these were things I had to worry about. The outside door is so stiff I hurt my fingers trying to turn the key. The previous tenant used so much air freshener that even after 2 weeks of airing out it still makes me sick. And I dislocated a finger trying to turn off the shower because it was so stiff and has nothing to hold onto (sleek appearance, but useless). She warned us that the previous tenant had issues with water backing up into their washing machine, but said she'd replaced the plumbing. So we buy a fancy new LG washer that sings when you turn it on. Husband tested it out last week and it seemed ok, but Sunday is his laundry day so he hadn't opened it since. I just got back from the US so have piles of laundry to do, open the door and without thinking throw in the first few clothes. Then I'm hit with the most awful smell ever. There's 2" of standing water visible in the basin, smells of mold and new rubber. I nearly vomit and I'm just so done with all the crap. We pay way too much for this. :( I still want to go home, but no longer have a home to go to.

I'm so sorry you're not having a great transition.  I wish there was some way to make it easier for you.  I know for my first visit, I had a few rough patches--At one point, I even banned my husband from the kitchen while I was trying to cook because I didn't need him mocking my efforts as I was trying to learn all the foods that he took for granted but were alien to me.

Our previous rented house had a combination washer/dryer thing, and one time water was backed up in it (I don't understand why because it was supposed to go into drying mode after the wash, and it always had before).  After his shower that morning, he opened the door to get his newly-washed uniform out, but smelly mildewy water poured out around him.  He was so startled by this that he kind of jumped back, and he slipped and fell in it.  He didn't have time for another shower or to dry his uniform properly, so he had a wet uniform and the stink of mildew on him, and he was bruised from his splash-fall.  It was not a great start to the day.  We never figured out why it did that.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6984 on: February 23, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
Ugh. My IA for today...

I think we've all had growing pains moving to the UK.  I'll post my experience after the kids go to bed.  It'll show you that you aren't alone!

Would WD 40 help the door and shower?

Is the washer connected properly?

No idea how to help with the scent.  ::)

« Reply #6985 on: February 23, 2018, 11:24:51 PM »
I think we've all had growing pains moving to the UK.  I'll post my experience after the kids go to bed.  It'll show you that you aren't alone!

Would WD 40 help the door and shower?

Is the washer connected properly?

No idea how to help with the scent.  ::)
Husband is gonna try wd40 on the door, it won't help the shower because it's just a bad design. The left knob turns either the bath or shower on, is narrow and has nothing to grip. So you have to turn it just right to get the water off, without hitting any of the pipes behind it because you'll burn your hand.

We paid to have the machine installed so it better have been done right.

And I've never experienced this level of lasting fragrance. I don't know what they did but it's not going away naturally, and the paint is matte finish so I'm weary of wiping anything without the landlord saying OK first.... She documented every carpet snag and floor scratch when we moved in. It really needs to be painted but I'm sure unless we foot that bill and move while it airs it won't be happening. I'm tired of daily migraines and eyes constantly burning.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6986 on: February 24, 2018, 05:52:54 AM »
Margo, for the door and the shower, google knob turners, they come in lots of shapes and sizes for various applications.
Also consider a small dycem grip mat for the shower knob.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6987 on: February 26, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
Hang in there Margo, it will eventually get better as you fix every little thing.  One day it will feel like home.

« Reply #6988 on: February 26, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
Hang in there Margo, it will eventually get better as you fix every little thing.  One day it will feel like home.
Yeah, yesterday was a better day. My cat is cuddling again (it took a few days), I finally have a place to put my clothes so I'm not living out of a suitcase, and we made some pretty tasty tacos for dinner (I brought back a bunch of trader joe's seasoning packs). And as long as nothing else goes wrong my US house sale closes today so that mountain of monthly payments will no longer be hanging over me. It's just hard to adapt when life already had so many challenges with day to day living.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6989 on: February 26, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
My IA today is just life in general at the moment :(.

Since I got back from Gibraltar just over two weeks ago, I have:
- felt freezing cold all the time
- barely done any exercise
- had a 3-day minor stomach bug
- followed by 2 days of feeling achy and shivery
- followed by 3 days of a cold
- 9 nights of getting between only 3.5 and 6 hours of sleep (6 of those nights were consecutive - I was averaging 4.5 hours a night last week)
- 2 terrible headaches (including one this morning which made me sick - I'm still in bed, though it has thankfully eased enough that I can sit up and get on the laptop)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab