Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are the British equivilants of the US Democratic and Republican Parties?  (Read 4234 times)
TitanicExplorer
Neophyte

« on: December 09, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »

What are the British equivilants of the US Democratic and Republican Parties?

I'm guessing the Democrats are a bit like a conservative version of the Labour Party.

The Republicans could either be the Conservative/Torries- or mabey even the BNP, given the ammount of immigrant bashing.

What do you think? Compared to the political parties in the UK and the rest of Europe, I think both major US parties are right wing.

What is your view?
bookgrl
Maestro

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »

As much as I do not like Republican policies, the BNP does not equal the Republican Party.
RAR
Guru
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

What are the British equivilants of the US Democratic and Republican Parties?

I'm guessing the Democrats are a bit like a conservative version of the Labour Party.

The Republicans could either be the Conservative/Torries- or mabey even the BNP, given the ammount of immigrant bashing.

What do you think? Compared to the political parties in the UK and the rest of Europe, I think both major US parties are right wing.

What is your view?

I'm not defending the US Republican party by any means, but they are a LONG LONG LONG way from the BNP! In my opinion, the closest mainstream US party that could be compared to the BNP would be the tea party and while those tea baggers are definitely insane, they're still no where near AS insane as the BNP.

Anyway, it's kind of hard to compare the parties honestly. In the UK there are three major parties, but of course lots of smaller ones.  You're comparing apples and oranges though are some similarities. I would say that the contrasts between the two major US parties are greater than the three major UK parties, but that's just me.

I guess you can sort of compare the Conservative party to the Republican party in terms of *wanting* reduce spending by cutting public expenditure. Lib Dems and US dems are both center left, but the Lib Dems are more social.

09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...
historyenne
erstwhile vespa girl
Ambassador
United Kingdom

Britannicaine

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »

There are no direct correlations.  Labour may be more to the left of the Democrats on some issues, but it was a Labour Prime Minister who pushed the UK into Iraq.  And I personally find the Conservatives more palatable than the Republicans; despite the budget cuts and their obvious disdain for immigrants, they don't have the pride in ignorance, the religious fundamentalism, or the self-satisfied scorn for those who oppose them that the Republicans have.  Not saying I like them, I just dislike them less than I dislike Republicans. 

On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel
sonofasailor
Guru
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »

they don't have the pride in ignorance, the religious fundamentalism, or the self-satisfied scorn for those who oppose them that the Republicans have. 

I don't know that this doesn't make them worse. They b*gger the poor and know darn well why they do it.

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across - Sun Tzu
BostonDiner
Irish/American
Overlord
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »

apples and oranges

>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
"How I became Irish" www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/usuk/hibi.html
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
chary
I Live Here!
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »

It's really difficult to compare the two systems. Religion and "morality" have no place in politics here - thank goodness.

My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!
TitanicExplorer
Neophyte

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »

It's really difficult to compare the two systems. Religion and "morality" have no place in politics here - thank goodness.

The right wing Christian funamentalist that want to make the Republican Party a Christian party baffle me- The Republicans are staunch capitalists, and usually oppose programs designed to help the poor and the needy- yet wasn't Jesus's message about helping the poor and the needy? I'm a bit of an athiest, so perhaps i have it wrong....

Religion has no place in politics- Theocracy is just a form of fascism-Mixing religion and politics  weakens both institutions- as religions will preach political dogma, and the politcal institutions will preach religious dogma, at the expense of their original philosophies....
sweetpeach
Maestro

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »

Its not as simple as there being just two groups of people with ideas that are opposite each other. Each party incorporates a range of political beliefs so that they can have as many members as possible. They win elections, after all, by getting the most votes.

So the Republican party has libertarians and right-wing fundamentalists (who are on the opposite end of the social spectrum), while the Democratic party has people who believe in complete government non-interference in social affairs and people who want more government interference in things like healthcare.

This diagram explains it better:

http://weblog.leidenuniv.nl/media/blogs/76039/invisiblecollege/political_compass.png

I disagree that the UK parties, and politiciansi in general do not get involved in social affairs. They just seem to be more in agreement about them than the US parties are. We would not have things like Civil Unions if people in politics didn't vote to make them legal. And wasn't there a discussion about restoring tax breaks for married couples?  Taxation is often used as a means of social control.  Laws prohibiting the use or sale of drugs are also examples of social control.

In fact, it might be better for politicians to constantly be arguing about what is right and wrong than for everyone to agree on what is right, so nobody has to think about it, or even realize that by not thinking about it they have made a decision by default. If you constantly have to justify your beliefs, you are going to have to adapt them to fit changing situations and new information.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:45:08 PM by sweetpeach » Logged
etoile_du_nord
Groupie
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:11:53 AM »

This may be overly incendiary, but the major difference between the BNP and most of the modern-day Republicans, as far as I can tell, is that America is PC about race to such an extent that Republicans would not have political careers if they said the sorts of things the BNP says. (Trent Lott fell from power just for saying nice things about Strom Thurmond.) I don't think they're any less nationalist.

(I am talking about the Republican party as it stands today, not for what it has been or has historically represented.)

2/16/2010 - Met
5/16/2013 - Married! in DC
6/16/2013 - Application submitted
6/19/2013 - Biometrics, application sent via UPS to Sheffield (priority)
6/21/2013 - Package signed for at Sheffield
sweetpeach
Maestro

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »

I wouldn't define not agreeing with the BNP about race as being PC.
bookgrl
Maestro

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »

I am conflited about politics here.

I do disagree that "morality" doesn't play a role here.  I think it does, just in a different way than in the US.

On the other hand, as much as I hate hearing about how much some goes to church, does anyone doubt that Blair converted to Catholicism before leaving office and he just didn't admit it knowing he wouldn't be able to get elected? 

I don't like the religious pandering, but at least you know where they stand. 
DrSuperL99
Jedi
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »

I disagree, I think in the US people are forced the other way, to claim to be more religious than they are, even possibly to the point of going to church because they think they'll be unelectable if they don't.

Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012
RAR
Guru
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »

This may be overly incendiary, but the major difference between the BNP and most of the modern-day Republicans, as far as I can tell, is that America is PC about race to such an extent that Republicans would not have political careers if they said the sorts of things the BNP says. (Trent Lott fell from power just for saying nice things about Strom Thurmond.) I don't think they're any less nationalist.

(I am talking about the Republican party as it stands today, not for what it has been or has historically represented.)

Most Republicans as far as I know really don't have a problem with immigration itself as much as they don't want 'illegals'. That alone is a massive difference from the BNP.

09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...
etoile_du_nord
Groupie
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »

I wouldn't define not agreeing with the BNP about race as being PC.

Neither would I, I'm saying America is PC about it to the point that anything that could be remotely construed as racist is unacceptable to everyone. Politicians and commentators who make even an offhanded remark lose their jobs, and that doesn't seem to happen as much in England. I think the BNP is still extreme and probably not representative of the public at large, but they can have a bigger stage than they would in the US.

Most Republicans as far as I know really don't have a problem with immigration itself as much as they don't want 'illegals'. That alone is a massive difference from the BNP.

That's true on the legislative end, at least for now, but a lot of the things they complain about or try to change don't just affect illegals. They use the "they're taking our jobs" line and insist everyone speak English and only English, not to mention that crazy Arizona law. I'm not sure that will go away if or when we ever clamp down on illegal immigrants.

2/16/2010 - Met
5/16/2013 - Married! in DC
6/16/2013 - Application submitted
6/19/2013 - Biometrics, application sent via UPS to Sheffield (priority)
6/21/2013 - Package signed for at Sheffield
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Sponsored Ads