Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Area Book Club - 15 January 2011  (Read 2115 times)

• Liked: 0
London Area Book Club - 15 January 2011
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
We begin our third year of Book Club with a thematic winter read! Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford.

We will be meeting on 15 January at 15:00 at the Cafe Rouge, upstairs in Victoria Station.

Don't be shy, shake off the dreary winter doldrums and come join us for a cappucino and some lively discussion about a much beloved novel!
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

Re: London Area Book Club - 15 January 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »
Ill be there! Ill be starting the book next week. Is Cafe Rouge upstairs at the main station? I dont ever think Ive seen it so I just want to make sure Ill be heading in the right direction.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
JenniferB, so glad to hear you will be joining us!  Cafe Rouge is indeed upstairs at the main Victoria Train Station.  It is actually on the second level (or third floor if you count floors in the American way!)

PM me for my mobile number if you would like.  That way you can call if necessary!
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
Bumping the thread as reminder.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »
After reading the book and getting so excited about discussing it, I wake up to find out that my train line is shut along with the corresponding National Rail. It would take over 2 hours to get to Victoria by bus and I just dont think I have the energy or patience to deal with it on such a dreary day. I was so looking forward to meeting everyone too :(

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
We will miss you, but I understand your reluctance to do a four hour round trip journey by bus.  I went into London last week and there was a bus replacement service for the rail and it was a nightmare getting back.  I don't understand how a single bus can be considered a replacement for an 8 carriage train.

Perhaps we can have an online follow up discussion?  And invite anyone who has read the book to join in!

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
I would love to do an online discussion. Please let me know the details and I will definitely join in.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:20:24 AM »
Shall we just use this thread for an on-line discussion?  Anyone who has read "Love in a Cold Climate" is welcome to join in!

We can start with a couple of general questions and see how it spins from there.

What did you think of the book?

What did you think of Fanny as a narrator?  She revealed her personal life almost as an aside.  How did that impact the story?

Sponsored Links