Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving With Teenagers  (Read 1026 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving With Teenagers
« on: March 20, 2003, 08:20:05 PM »
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I am moving to the UK with my fiance(who lives there now) at the end of the summer and starting with my next visit at the end of April I was going to start "lugging" personal items over for myself and my four children. My question has to do with teenagers and their electronica! Computers, (laptops also), stereos, tvs and dvd/vcr players, video game machines...well, I read briefly about how these items may not "work" in the UK. My problem is that with four tvs, stereos etc., there is no way I can replace all of these expensive electronics once we arrive. Any advice?Thanks!
Vicki

Re: Moving With Teenagers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 10:50:10 PM »
Electronics will work with a transformer, but most times the cost of the transformer is about equal to the cost of replacing the item with a UK item.  TVs won't work, even with a transformer, because a different, non-compatible system is used.  VCRs will work with a transformer, but will only playback US tapes, can't record, and won't be able to play UK tapes.  DVDs use a different system, too.  Clocks won't run right, either, due to the voltage difference, even when using a transformer.

We replaced many of our electronics.  Bought a multi-region DVD player and a VCR with NTSC playback (so it will play US tapes as well as UK.)  Just think of the replacement costs as part of your moving expenses.  We downsized, too -- only one TV here, vs. 3 in the US.  

There is much more detail in the 'Electronics' section of the UK Yankee website.
http://www.uk-yankee.com/electronics.html

HTH,
Stephanie

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 05:28:17 AM »
.... Clocks won't run right, either, due to the voltage difference, ....

Nope, ..... due to mains frequency difference.  British mains ac is 50Hz, compared to the US's 60Hz mains.  This means that anything that depends on the mains frequency, including clocks, and any thing with motors, runs 17% slower than it ought to, and would stop TV's working even if the TV signal was compatible.

Sorry Stephanie, my pedantic side just let go!  ::)

BTW American DVD players will work, with a transformer - DVD players, and CD players, including computer CD ROMs have their own speed governor, but they will only play region 1 (American) and Region 0 (international) discs.  

If you need transformers check DVDOverseas.com as they sell transformers at a good price.  Make sure that you buy ones with excess capacity, especially for hifi equipment.  I'd recommend a voltage stabilizing one, with at least 1000w capacity for hifi.

However your computer may work without too much problem - I hear that many have a voltage converter switch on/in them, so you may be OK there.

Mostly I'd agree with Stephanie though, it may be easier to bite the bullet and replace most of your stuff if you are moving to the UK permanently.   :o
« Last Edit: March 21, 2003, 05:38:23 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 11:38:11 PM »

Nope, ..... due to mains frequency difference.  British mains ac is 50Hz, compared to the US's 60Hz mains.  This means that anything that depends on the mains frequency, including clocks, and any thing with motors, runs 17% slower than it ought to, and would stop TV's working even if the TV signal was compatible.

Sorry Stephanie, my pedantic side just let go!  ::)

That's alright. ;)  

Stephanie

Sponsored Links