Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pepto Bismal!!  (Read 3569 times)

Re: Pepto Bismal!!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »
I've found I really can't stand the liquids and prefer to take mine in a tablet or caplet form...my preferred at the moment for heartburn is Zantac.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
My husband eats an apple when he has indigestion. He swears by it!

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
My husband eats an apple when he has indigestion. He swears by it!
My dad eats pickled pepperchini's...when I was pregnant and at their house while my visa was processing I was petrified about using OTC medicines and tried his 'cure' and it really worked wonders!

• Liked: 19
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
My mom always has a small dish of vanilla ice cream when she has heartburn.

I don't know if it actually solves anything or not, but...hey, ice cream! :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »
You'd think this problem of selling Pepto to under 16's wouldn't be an issue anyway.

No kid in the history of the world ever who would be old enough to buy Pepto but still under 16 would admit to anyone, other than their mom, that they needed Pepto. 

Also, I can't imagine shoplifting Pepto as just having it on you would be social suicide. 

• Liked: 12
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 02:06:22 PM »
DH has always suffered from indigestion. Because of his kidney problems, his doctor recommended Gaviscon. But, guess what? The potion they sell in the US has a different formula and is unacceptable for his condition. So there you are.

Personally, I'll take the ice cream  :D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:46 PM »
Also, Aleve is just Naproxen Sodium.  You can buy it OTC in the UK under a different name.

Well, from the pharmacy anyway.  So maybe UTC, under the counter?  But then that sounds like it is illegal.  Hmmmm. BTC?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Hmmm, I must be the only one who prefers to be able to ask the pharmacy counter about different things- I don't mind going and asking if it's OK to take whatever with my other medication- or if I can get something to work on various ailments.   It's interesting to learn about the different medications here.  Sometimes you find stuff that actually works better or is available here and not in the US.  I like how you can buy co-codamol without a script, amongst other things!

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Hmmm, I must be the only one who prefers to be able to ask the pharmacy counter about different things- I don't mind going and asking if it's OK to take whatever with my other medication- or if I can get something to work on various ailments.   It's interesting to learn about the different medications here.  Sometimes you find stuff that actually works better or is available here and not in the US.  I like how you can buy co-codamol without a script, amongst other things!

That makes no sense to me highly addictive substance sold with no prescription, but I can't get some hydrocortisone without the 3rd degree.

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »
Also, Aleve is just Naproxen Sodium.  You can buy it OTC in the UK under a different name.

Well, from the pharmacy anyway.  So maybe UTC, under the counter?  But then that sounds like it is illegal.  Hmmmm. BTC?
Really? Because I had to have my GP write me out a prescription for Naproxen sodium a few years ago. Has this changed recently?
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »
Basically, I beleive that they keep it "hidden" cos they know that everyone will be buying Pepto Bismal instead as its so good and effective and they wont buy all the British stuff which is so useless for stomach problems!!

It is kept behind the counter because the drug in it is not licensed for sale on the shelf in the UK. Simple as that.

If you mean Petpto-Bismol, it's an age restricted product in the UK and you have to be 16 or older to purchase it...which is why it's behind the counter.

Actually, you have to be 16 or over to buy any oral medicine, including paracetamol and other on the shelf products. It's behind the counter because of the restriction of the specific ingredient in it (the Bismuth Subsalicylate) rather than the age restriction (you have to be 16 to take aspirin as well, but you can still buy aspirin off the shelf).

Really? Because I had to have my GP write me out a prescription for Naproxen sodium a few years ago. Has this changed recently?

Last I saw, you could only buy Naproxen sodium for period pain (as Feminax Ultra, or a generic brand), but it's been 2 months since I left Boots, so I'm not sure if any new stuff has come out since then. If you need Naproxen for any other type of pain, it's prescription only.

Thats so true!! Theres so many other things I would love to be able to get over here, like for example, Tylenol

You can also buy Tylenol here as well... it's called paracetamol!

I just looked at the Tylenol website and almost every product listed on there is available in the UK in some form or another. You can even buy paracetamol and codeine over the counter in the UK (essentially Tylenol 1), which is prescription-only in the US.

We call behind the counter products OTC (as in over the pharmacy counter) or P lines (pharmacy lines) and on the shelf products GSL (general sales lines).

• Liked: 387
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:51 PM »
When I had indigestion as a child, my grandmother always fed me a small bowl of mashed potatoes and a glass of ginger ale.  :D

Though, I wish I had the ice cream.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:05:39 PM by Aquila »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
I've used ginger ale or ginger capsules successfully for indigestion.  I'm also a Pepcid AC fan.  I don't use Pepto Bismol because Bismuth Subsalicylate is not something that should be used by an aspirin-allergic person like me. 

If it is legal to ship it over, I think the OP should have a friend in the US do so.  Another option would be to have someone coming over for a visit to bring some. 

There are times it's hard to find things when moving towns in the US, so I'd expect to see even more differences when in another country.  I recently had to buy my mother (who lives 40 miles south of me) a grocery item, because she couldn't get it in her area.  I'll give it to her when we gather for Christmas.  She's brought me things that I can't get here as well.   

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
Yes, it is only sold for period pain.  So if you are a man you just get a woman to lie and buy it for you.  This is why I think the whole thing is semi-ridiculous. 

I need some hydrocortisone cream for my face, but you can't buy it for your face even though my GP told me to do so.  I suppose she thought I knew I needed to lie.  Boots refused to sell it to me, so I just went next door to Superdrug and said I needed it for some rash on my arm.   ::)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
I didn't mind not being able to get Pepto in the UK...if I needed it I could always ask for it.

You can also buy Tylenol here as well... it's called paracetamol!

I just looked at the Tylenol website and almost every product listed on there is available in the UK in some form or another. You can even buy paracetamol and codeine over the counter in the UK (essentially Tylenol 1), which is prescription-only in the US.

My issue is this!  Not being able to get Co-codamol without a Doctors prescription here in the USA and when you do get it the formula is so different it makes me dizzy and sick.  I miss Boots and other chemists!  Sure they make sure you know the risks but they give it to you.

So it's not that the USA or UK is any worse or better in regards to a  nanny state.... different regulations is all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:04:55 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab