Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 2369 times)

• Liked: 2
Is this normal?
« on: August 26, 2004, 07:11:01 AM »
As I previously posted, on Tuesday I flew to California for the purpose of applying for a fiance visa. I went to the consulate on Wednesday and thought everything was in order. I had all the documentation called for on their list, plus some that wasn't on their list. Instead of the low-stress experience I was expecting I was interrogated at every turn.

1. The fact that I only had 2 pictures of us together, never mind almost 3 years worth of emails, cards, phone records, airline ticket stubs, etc. The clerk just couldn't fathom us not having had more pictures taken together. I explained that a) I don't like having my picture taken, b) we didn't know our relationship was going to take this turn when we were together before so there was no reason in our minds to take more pictures and c) since most of our time together was spent at his house there was nobody else around to take pictures of us together.

2. Why it took me a month from the time I was turned away at Gatwick to come apply for my visa. I explained that a) boyfriend had to gather up all the documentation he was required to submit and mail it to me b) that documentation was floating around in the mail system for 15 days, and c) I live in Oklahoma and couldn't just hop on the first plane to LA unless I wanted to pay an exhorbitant amount for a ticket. From the day I received the documents to the day I hit California was 1 week exactly and that was because I purchased a 7-day advance ticket at a decent price. She asked me three times why I'd waited so long and got the same answer each time.

3. The sponsorship (intent) letter from my boyfriend and the letter from his employer are both dated July 29. The clerk told me I have to get more recently dated letters for both. She wouldn't accept either one of them and didn't care that it was because they were in the mail. She said for all she knew he (boyfriend) has now changed his mind and doesn't wish to marry me or he has lost his job.

4. I brought 6 months worth of bank statements for both me and the boyfriend. When he mailed me his things he had the July statement. The last statement I received on my account is July. She wouldn't accept those. She wants the August statements.....I tried to explain to her that I can't get mine that quickly because my bank is in Oklahoma (this earned me a grunt of disgust from her) and they will not fax bank statements based on a phone call.

There were several other things as well, such as a nasty snide comment that was made about our age difference (he's 10 years younger than I am).

Boyfriend is going to fax the letters to the consulate in the morning. I have access to his account information via the web and am going to fax a copy of his August statement (oh boy did that get me a look of shock and horror when she found out I have access to his bank accounts!!) I'm still trying to figure out how to get a copy of my bank statement. I think they're just going to have to be satisfied with a printout of my online banking activity. If they won't accept that then I'm screwed because my bank WILL NOT fax statements. They must be mailed through the U.S. postal system and that takes anywhere from 5-10 days to reach me....by the time I got it she'd want the next month's!

Now mind you, this was during the process of turning in the application and documentation so I could pay the fee, not the official interview that I am still expecting to be called in (she confirmed the fact that I will definitely have to come in for a face-to-face interview) for once Gatwick has sent the information on why I was denied entry in July.

Call me psychic or just call me paranoid but this is exactly why I made my trip to California for a duration of almost 2 weeks. I just knew that if something could go awry it would....and this was just in the first step of the application process!

If I didn't know better I'd say that the clerk I had today at the consulate is the mother of the immigration officer I had the distinct "pleasure" of meeting at Gatwick in July.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 07:19:23 AM »
I can't say I've seen anyone here post that they've had that much trouble in applying for a fiance visa, although I have seen a few stories of people who have had some minor run ins at the LA office. 

I would suggest taking down the woman's name, get the name of her supervisor and ask about their complaints procedure.  It seems to me this woman is treating you unfairly and it's not called for.  Asking a few questions is one thing.  Asking the same question 3 times and being rude is another and you shouldn't have to take it.  If for any reason this woman decides to deny you a visa, I would appeal for certain. 

I hope it doesn't go that way and that you get the visa.  Wishing you the best.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 07:32:05 AM »
I had to "DEAL" with the LA office in order to get my SPOUSE visa -- and I tell ya -- they were HORRID!  I felt like I was a prostitute trying to get to live with my PIMP!!!  Seriously!  That's how the woman on the phone made me feel. 

She didn't accept the letter of support from my husband -- she wanted MORE detail.  I had to send more pictures (yeah -- more than 2) and I had to send phone bills.  I think when they saw 17 PAGES of phone bills -- they caught on -- and I got my visa the very NEXT day!

Try (!!!!!!!!!!!!) to stay positive!  It's the red tape dance that leads to the HAPPY DANCE!!!

Sending my positive thoughts to you!!   [smiley=clover.gif]

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 08:04:18 AM »
What is her name? I had a very hard time with one woman. Both Tony and I showed up for my fiance visa and brought tons of stuff with me. She had it in for me the second she relized I was only 19 years old.

First words to us after taking our paperwork were 'Does your mother know you are pulling this stunt?' My reply 'Yeah she is down stairs in the car waiting. She drove us here and is the one who gave us the money for the visa as a 'congratulations on getting engaged' present.' The lady wasn't too hapy about that muttering something about being too young  ::)

I so want to go back there and stick my tounge out at her and say 'See we are still madly in love and together!  :P'

She also didn't liek the fact we only had brought two pictures (rest where in England and no one had access to them). So off I went to a bridal store and staged pictures of my mom, girlfriends, and I trying on dresses. She fianally took those as evidence that we really were going to get married.

She also didn't like how 'little' (a couple of thousand) money I had. So I had to get Savings bonds out of my safe deposit box and show her I had more then just hard cash.

It wasn't a fun experience. In all it took two days, but they were the longest two days of my life.  :-\\\\

Goodluck.
Katie

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 08:09:51 AM »
We had no problems at the consulate in LA when we went to get Stu's fiance visa but that was back in May 03 so maybe times have changed since then. Also I think the fact that I was able to go with him helped. They barely looked at our photos and didn't even question the fact that my divorce from 1st marriage was not yet final so I am surprised you have had so many seemingly "picky" questions.  I suspect the whole "denied entry" issue made her more wary of you. 

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 08:30:15 AM »
 Honestly, the only times I've heard of people having problems is when they go to the LA office.  :-\\\\ I went to Chicago myself, by LA does seem to have a stick up its butt for some reason... :(

DITTO what driveupcoffee said though, I love that, the red tape dance leads to the happy dance. :) It sounds like what you're doing will give them all the info they need - please keep us updated!!!

I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 09:03:32 AM »
Wowsy!  How horrid!

I went to the DC Consulate (no longer accepting apps), they took my papers, my money, had a cursory look over the papers at the teller-like window and then I went home.  I didn't hear from them again until a week later when they called to tell me to come get my visa.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 09:08:55 AM »
Wowsy! How horrid!

I went to the DC Consulate (no longer accepting apps), they took my papers, my money, had a cursory look over the papers at the teller-like window and then I went home. I didn't hear from them again until a week later when they called to tell me to come get my visa.

Oh - the good old days, eh, Caitlinn?   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 09:12:48 AM »
You're telling me!  How can someone be so unreasonable as to want an August bank statement.  What happens if the bank doesn't issue them until the end of the month?

Canys, does your American bank allow you to print statements at the ATM?  Mine did, but I never used the feature so I'm not sure what it will print out.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 09:17:27 AM »
I was never a "save the bank statement" kinda girl, so I didn't have any bank statements when it came time to apply for my visa.  So, I just printed out the last 3 months or so online...nobody blinked an eye at that!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 11:27:48 AM »
I got my spousal visa in LA in 2000.  I only had one wedding picture; the rest of my evidence was phone bills and boarding passes.  My bank statements were for Sept and it was Nov and I didn't have too much money since I had paid for a wedding and bought an expensive plane ticket to be on the same flight as my husband.  To top it all off my husband is 8 yrs younger than me and we had a cursory look through all the evidence at the window and come back after 3:30 pm to pick up your passports.  Mind you we had been on the bus all night to get there and didn't look our freshest either.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 12:40:37 PM »
I had to "DEAL" with the LA office in order to get my SPOUSE visa -- and I tell ya -- they were HORRID!  I felt like I was a prostitute trying to get to live with my PIMP!!!  Seriously!  That's how the woman on the phone made me feel. 

When my mother emigrated to the US, pregnant with me 47 years ago, to join her husband, my dad, she was not only made to feel like a prostitute, it was one of the questions they asked:  "Have you ever been a prostitute?"!!!!!

Sorry to hear you're going through this canys.  I'm sure you'll get everything straightened out! 

Does anyone know, are they giving canys such a hard time because she was turned back at Gatwick? 
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 12:48:42 PM »
Julie, I think it's just because it's the LA consulate.  Like elle said earlier - the only stories I've *heard* of where people were given a hard time were encounters at the LA office.  The people at the NY office couldn't have been nicer to me, and I was applying after an entry refusal.  About 10 days after an entry refusal!

Really crap that you have to go through this, Canys.  :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 01:23:37 PM »
Does anyone know, are they giving canys such a hard time because she was turned back at Gatwick? 

Sometimes cashiers are young ECOs or junior FCO staff hoping to become ECOs, but *MOST* of the time, they are local hires.  The former will be unfailingly polite and charming - after all they are trained diplomats.  The latter are a mixed bag - and at least some have their eyes set on naturalization through crown service - they are the dangerous ones.  Others are just obnoxious civil servants enjoying a few moments of power. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 01:38:53 PM by garry »

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 01:47:07 PM »
Canys, I'm so sorry you had such a hard time.  Especially after having to wait so long for your package to begin with, to have that woman act like you're being irresponsible-ugh!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, but I have to say-I've been in situations like this before (not visa apps, but job interviews, etc.) and have always found that if you keep yourself calm it usually works out.  It's like they're trying to get you to slip up somewhere.

I would absolutely complain, though!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab