Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 2370 times)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2004, 06:36:37 AM »
I think it's a good plan to get important documents while you're over in the UK.  The post thing can be scary with those sorts of items.  (Ours got lost for a few weeks in fact....talk about trauma!)

As for the letter of intent though, why could you do that one later?  I expect the closer to your application date the better on that document.  The rest of them shouldn't matter.  The letter needs to be from your fiance anyway so you shouldn't have to sign it.  Get him to do the letter and then send it over in the post once you're back.  And if you really want it to be joint, you can just sign it when you get it surely.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2004, 10:40:13 AM »
We need 2 letters. One that is signed by my fiance, saying
that he intends for me to apply for the visa, since he won't be coming to the interview. But then we need a letter
signed by both of us, saying that we both intend to get married.
By the way, we are older, he is 34 and divorced and I am 39. Do you think it will be less likely for the visa person to think we are going to change our minds?

I also see that Canys has been refused entry to the UK
on a visitor's passport. I've read through her old posts, but I
can't find out exactly what made the immigration officer suspicious.
Couldn't that have affected the attitude of the person handling her
visa application? I've been to Manchester Airport twice so far and never
had a problem. I've always said I'm staying with my boyfriend, and given his correct name and address, and stayed exactly as long as I said I was going to stay.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 11:00:14 AM by sweetpeach »

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2004, 11:09:34 AM »
We need 2 letters. One that is signed by my fiance, saying
that he intends for me to apply for the visa, since he won't be coming to the interview. But then we need a letter
signed by both of us, saying that we both intend to get married.
By the way, we are older, he is 34 and divorced and I am 39. Do you think it will be less likely for the visa person to think we are going to change our minds?

I also see that Canys has been refused entry to the UK
on a visitor's passport. I've read through her old posts, but I
can't find out exactly what made the immigration officer suspicious.
Couldn't that have affected the attitude of the person handling her
visa application? I've been to Manchester Airport twice so far and never
had a problem. I've always said I'm staying with my boyfriend, and given his correct name and address, and stayed exactly as long as I said I was going to stay.
Overall the visa application is simple and painless-- don't let cany's experience scare you-- she is the exception that makes the rule. I just want to forewarn you on your next visit into Manchester may not be so painless. I went once no trouble-- second time I was grilled quite a bit. I think it depends on the luck of the draw of the officer. She really questioned why I was coming over during the school year when my occupation was teacher-- I explained we were on Easter break and then all was okay. I think the key is too show you are definately returning when you say!!

As far as the two letters you say you need-- I think you are confused. You need a letter of intent from your fiance stating he supports your application and the two of you plan to marry. Then simply a cover letter from yourself stating that you plan to marry and that supporting documents are enclosed.

I applied via mail at the NYC office--had no problem other than my panic when they said they needed a phone interview. The interview was brief and easy-- just a repeat of questions already on the form.

I would suggest your fiance' post date his letter.

good luck with it all-- trust me it isn't near as painful as our imaginations make it out to be!! I am happy to say I am here in the UK, now married, now have my FLR Visa -- good for 2 years, and starting the job hunt!

Helena

• York Interweb
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2004, 11:17:52 AM »
The New York Consulate has a phone tree which says that you and your
fiance have to supply a statement saying that you both intend to marry within 6 months, and that you intend to live together as spouses in the United Kingdom.

I will be applying in person in New York, by the way.

Also, the first time I went over, I was questioned at the airport,
the second time I went right through without any questions at all
I think the first time was because I had never met my boyfriend in
person (internet romance) so he could have been some crazy internet person.
I have also never stayed for more than 2 weeks, which is perfectly normal for someone with a corporate job.  My next visits will be
Thanksgiving and Christmas, when Americans normally travel.
Nobody has ever asked me anything about my job though, which isn't relevant because I'm not going for work-related reasons, but to see my boyfriend. I've always been straightforward about seeing him, giving his correct name, address and phone number on the landing form. I've also always returned to the US exactly on the day I told immigration I would return.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 11:28:34 AM by sweetpeach »

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2004, 11:26:09 AM »
fiance have to supply a statement saying that you both intend to marry within 6 months, and that you intend to live together as spouses in the United Kingdom.

yes...but it doesn't have to be a joint statement..he can say it on his letter of support for your visa..and you can say it on your cover letter.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2004, 11:27:36 AM »

HG is right.  I think you're misinterpreting what they mean by a statement.  Your fiance needs only to send a letter saying he supports your application and are planning to settle in the UK.  He may also want to state that you have a date planned for the wedding so they know it is within six months.  

You're making your intention clear by sending in the application and paying the fee so you don't need to do anything more than just put a cover letter with your documents.  That will be enough, honest!

• York Interweb
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004, 11:55:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure the phone tree from the New York Consulate said
"a letter from you and your fiance ...", but I've posted my questions on the Visa Feedback form on BritainUSA.com. I've asked for clarification about what letters of intent are needed, and if there is a maximum time allowed between the date on letters (included letters from employer, landlord, sponsors.)

If they don't answer me within a reasonable time, I work very close to the consulate and will go in person and ask. I've gone to them before with questions.

HG, how long were you staying for when you were questioned at the airport? I would think they would be suspicious of any stay over 2 weeks, as American companies generally don't allow you to take more than a 2 weeks' vacation at a stress. All of my visits before I actually get my fiance visa will be between 3 and 10 days.  Also, on your first visit, did you leave when you said you were going to leave?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 02:07:25 PM by sweetpeach »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab