Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Working "without permission to work"  (Read 1862 times)

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: Working "without permission to work"
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
I might need some clarification on the difference between unpaid work and voluntary activity.  If there is one.

I think the issue might also be that, while there might be a teeny, tiny, sliver of volunteer work acceptable to UKBA (and I'm not sure whether there is), both the volunteer industry and the immigrants themselves would be hard pressed to be positive if whatever they were doing was okay, and thus it's probably better to error on the side of caution. Weren't there a number of people who tried to come over to volunteer for the National Trust and etc and couldn't?

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »

Interesting thread.   

There's a big pow-wow later today on the economic migration side, and I think it's interesting to put the question forward whether or not the guidance is misleading. 

I think the guidance that's been pasted into the thread is misleading and ineptly drafted, and getting a reading on it could be helpful.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »
No, you are still confusing unpaid work with voluntary activity.  Voluntary activity is something different:  see the definition in the employer guidance posted above.

I beg to differ, because from what I've been advised (when I entered as a visitor in 2007) by an Immigiration Officer and the Chief Immigration Officer at Heathrow that I could not help my MIL with her blood donors volunteer work that I could sit and watch & observe but could not take part in any way...it would seem that I am not the only person 'confused'.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
Since it is unclear, is it worth it?

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »
I can understand much of what they say, but one thing did strike me as interesting though. I know for myself I'm already married so this issue is mute, but one of the things the OP mentioned has me wondering.

If you are an author and have a contract with a publishing company and the book is already out and released for sale prior to moving, how would they address that? You are bound by contract legally and the publishers wouldn't pull a book down just because an author moves countries.

Any ideas on this one? Again, I know for me, it won't matter since I will be coming over as a spouse, but the idea did peak my interest. :)
Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »
I suppose you aren't working.  The work is done, but I guess if you need to do any final things you might have to go home?

Edited: Not you you, but fictional author you  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:53:09 PM by bookgrl »

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
...from what I've been advised (when I entered as a visitor in 2007) by an Immigiration Officer and the Chief Immigration Officer at Heathrow that I could not help my MIL with her blood donors volunteer work that I could sit and watch & observe but could not take part in any way...
That was a very long time ago, the guidance quoted above is much more recent.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
That was a very long time ago, the guidance quoted above is much more recent.
And much more vague...I guess we just need to draw a line and agree to disagree. As Garry said the guidance you're referring to is misleading & vague, so I'll keep my advise the same until clarification from a higher authority is received.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »
I suppose you aren't working.  The work is done, but I guess if you need to do any final things you might have to go home?

Edited: Not you you, but fictional author you  ;)

Interesting question - what if they scheduled a book tour of the UK that started before you got FLR, wonder what would happen then?
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
And much more vague...I guess we just need to draw a line and agree to disagree. As Garry said the guidance you're referring to is misleading & vague, so I'll keep my advise the same until clarification from a higher authority is received.

Just a note from the meeting I referred to earlier in this thread:  the vague and misleading thingie is now on the agenda for the Employer's Taskforce meeting in Feb.   :D

Expect a clarification note on the charities thingie momentarily.   :D

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:08 PM »
Gary-

You rock.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »
That's kind of you. 

On the charity thingie, since it's an on-going frequently asked question, Weby's been briefed and will be along to tie up any loose ends.   :)

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »
Volunteering falls under two visa categories (depending on the nature of the volunteering): Tier 2 and Tier 5 Charity Workers. The guidance, that sah10406 referred to and that DrSuperL99  provided the citation from, has been considered so misleading and inaccurate that a high ranking UKBA Official has been recently making the rounds to charities in person and reminding them that they should not be having visitors or certain other visa categories that do not have permission to work in the UK as volunteers in their organization and are subject to having their commission as a charity revoked by continuing to have work restricted persons in their organisation. Also the volunteer in question will have major issues as well for working illegally.

The guidance that has been referred to is currently under review by UKBA and is set for revision in the coming months. So it stands that UKY's stance should be that visitors & fiance(e) visa holders are not allowed to work (paid or unpaid) or volunteer in any form or capacity.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:35:27 AM by WebyJ »

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
Interesting question - what if they scheduled a book tour of the UK that started before you got FLR, wonder what would happen then?

Um, how would a book tour not be working? I imagine it would fall under either a visiting entertainer or business visitor and handled by your UK publisher. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab