Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tracy Anderson Method  (Read 3961 times)

• Liked: 0
Tracy Anderson Method
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
Have any of you tried this yet? I picked up her 30 day bootcamp book about two months ago. Read it in one night and started it December 1st. Saw amazing results in just the workout and no diet but because of moving and the holidays, I only got 10 days into the bootcamp. But in those 10 days I lost about 7 inches all over the body and 9lbs. My friend from high school went from 180lbs to 125ish! (sorry for not converting to stone!)

January was a rough month, I was gone for most of it. So February 1st, here I come!

I just need to stay motivated...

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Tracy Anderson Method
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »
I don't know what this is - can you explain it please!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »
Tracy Anderson has designed a method to pull in muscles instead of bulking. Making you look leaner. I've always had the issue of my muscles bulking until I tried this method. She has tons of dance cardio video workouts which you can buy on dvd or find on youtube.

This is the book I bought.

Here is her website
http://tracyandersonmethod.com/

but I find most useful is the facebook page with lots of results and support
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tracy-Anderson-Method/269979477968

With the method, I didnt do the diet as planned in the book. I've heard its pretty time consuming but do plan to use it one day. I just did the exercises in the book and the video workouts (the book came with a dvd but I suggest the other cardio dvds she has)

She actually has a few gyms, one actually in London! She's becomming well known and Gwenth Paltrow works by her side...

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:40:32 PM »
Take Tracy Anderson's "methods" with an enormous grain of salt. Do a bit of research on her (this is a good start) - a lot of what she says is total BS especially the "omg big weights will give you giant muscles!" lie. And "lean" in the fitness/weight loss sense is a completely non-scientific word - whenever you read it in this sort of context, it should set off giant alarm bells to get out your skeptics hat. See "lean", think Pond's Institute level of psuedoscience.

But she's very very good at marketing and getting celebrities to endorse her.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
Take Tracy Anderson's "methods" with an enormous grain of salt. Do a bit of research on her (this is a good start) - a lot of what she says is total BS especially the "omg big weights will give you giant muscles!" lie. And "lean" in the fitness/weight loss sense is a completely non-scientific word - whenever you read it in this sort of context, it should set off giant alarm bells to get out your skeptics hat. See "lean", think Pond's Institute level of psuedoscience.

But she's very very good at marketing and getting celebrities to endorse her.

Well that was a bit depressing! But I definitely agree with it, makes perfect sense.

Ugh, why'd I even try to get into a fitness trend?

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:14:06 AM »
Well that was a bit depressing! But I definitely agree with it, makes perfect sense.

Ugh, why'd I even try to get into a fitness trend?

Heck, if she got you exercising, that's good! Just do the workout if you can and be happy with the results (but knowing the 'science' behind it is hooey will help you keep it in perspective!).
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Snaps
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »
I agree about the science bit but, to be honest, she's probably not any different from all the other fitness DVD hawkers out there in that respect, is she? I mean, they all have to have their gimmick. It doesn't mean that following the plan won't do you some good.

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
It doesn't mean that following the plan won't do you some good.
Actually, Tracy Anderson's "method" advocates a starvation diet of 1000 calories per day combined with two hours of exercise every day. Which is really, really unhealthy for both your metabolism and muscle loss as your body does everything in its power to avoid (what it thinks is) certain death. So you will lose lots of weight, but your metabolism is going to stay at that incredibly low rate long after you stop the diet, making you put the weight back on even faster.

Seriously, there are plenty of healthy weight loss programmes out there that advocate lifestyle changes in a sustainable way. There's really no reason for jumping onto gimmicks like this when there are proven methods out there. Weight loss isn't rocket science, it's just hard work and it takes time and personal fortitude.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Snaps
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
Actually, Tracy Anderson's "method" advocates a starvation diet of 1000 calories per day

I missed that bit! Sorry, piggy, but I didn't read all your links too well - I was just focusing on the exercise aspect of it. You're right, sp, 1000 calories a day is madness.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
OTOH, if you're enjoying the workouts, there's no reason to stop - finding a work out you like or are even just willing to do is a good thing.  Just remember not to buy into the crazy  ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 02:47:29 AM »
I do want to say that I tried the method without the diet part, strictly the working out and that is what I enjoyed and seemed to lose the inches and pounds. Could have just been because I hadn't exercised in a while! haha! ;)

I'm not into dieting, I believe in a healthy eating lifestyle which is why I didn't try that part of the method. It is unbelievable that it is a 1000 calorie intake.

Apologies for making it seem like I was trying to promote her method! I should do some more research before mentioning anything but I am glad I got the responses I did and made me more knowledgeable. 

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
I don't think you have anything to apologise for! I do her DVD's and I love it. They are fun and I honestly look forward to working up a sweat with the Dance Cardio. Don't worry about the nay-sayers - if you've found something you enjoy doing then do it!

Her diet recommendations are another story though  ;)
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined."- Henry David Thoreau

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab