Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Newton Abbot "Taco Bell"  (Read 1135 times)

• Liked: 0
Newton Abbot "Taco Bell"
« on: March 24, 2003, 12:13:18 PM »
Ok, not the real Taco Bell but read on...

This past Saturday started out horrible, so hubby decided to go do the shopping with me in Newton Abbot.  We parked the car and headed off to the fishmongers, but along the way I spied some Smuckers Goober & Grape Jelly in a shop window, so I had to investigate.  They had quite a selection and since hubby is now hooked of PB&J it was perfect (plus the fact that it was on 69p a jar!! ;)).  Well, we were coming out of the shop and hubby spotted a sign that said 'Mexican Lunches 11 - 4:00, now this was at a kebab shop and we thought we go have a look and see what was going on.  I took a menu and things looked pretty decent, but when I asked the cook if his enchilades were made with corn tortillas or flour, he looked at me and rolled his eyes and said,,,my food is authentic mexican,,,I only use corn!  Well, it looked like we might have hit on something here.  We didn't eat anything then, took the menu, went on to the fishmonger, who, btw, had a great deal on lobster, prices started at £5 - £28.  the fiver was small but decent sized and the 28 was massive, but we decided against having to cook anything alive.  So it was on to the pub and over a pint of Yorkshire Terrier ale we studied the menu.  Bean burritos, quesadillas, nachos, refried beans and rice, tacos,,,hmmmm, but this time my mouth was watering.  Went back to the shop and ordered a taco to start with, figured if it wasn't any good at least we didn't waste too much.  But!!! :o  it was fantastic!  Had the texture of Taco Bell tacos, flavour was a bit different, but that didn't matter too much.  So it was on to lunch....hubby had a mixed platter and I had a bean burrito platter, salsa & chips to start (which were made right in front of us), guacamole, queso, taco deluxe and hubby, being the true Brit that he is....ordered a portion of chips (but the cook talked him out of them thankfully).  Turns out the cook is Iranian-American, lived in Dallas before coming to NA, where his wife's family live.  His brother-in-law owns the kebab shop and they wanted to branch out it to something new and since he knew how to cook Mexican, that's how it all came about.  The place is called Yummy's and it is on Queen St., Newton Abbot, so come on down to Devon, where life only gets better!  Now, I'm off to go into town and eat my way through the menu!

• Yay! I'm going home!
    • Batchelor Family Homepage
  • Liked: 0
Re: Newton Abbot "Taco Bell"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 01:15:36 PM »
WOW! Sounds great.  From Texas, but living in Southampton now, I need a good Mexican place, to go to, too bad it isn't around here. but I will definitely have to make a special trip down there.  Thanks for the info.

Melanieb

timeline:
3 May - I-130 mailed
16 Jun - DS230 mailed
13 Jul - NOA received
15 Jul - Interview on 17 Aug
17 Aug - Got VISA

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab