Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ballet Classes for Adults who are not Professionals?  (Read 1770 times)

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
Ballet Classes for Adults who are not Professionals?
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:11:28 AM »
I'm not looking to lose weight, but my level of fitness is absolutely appalling, so I was considering taking some kind of class to get to the point where I'm not panting after I walk up a hill.  :P  Plus, I feel like I need to start establishing some good habits now while my metabolism and gravity are still on my side.  ;)

The gym doesn't really do it for me, and I can't afford a membership anyway, but I was a bit of a dance enthusiast up until age 14, so I thought I might get back into it.  Despite the fact that I was fairly advanced at one point, almost 12 years is just enough time to forget most of it.  :)

Do dance classes for adult beginners exist, since effectively that's what I am? Has anyone had any experience or success with this as a way of getting/staying in shape?  Any suggestions on how to go about finding such a class?  I know it's not the most prevalent method as compared to the number of people who hit the gym, so I'm not expecting too many people to respond, but I thought I'd ask on the off chance that someone on here is also a twinkle-toes.

And while I'm at it, any suggestions for a good pilates video as well?  :)  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 3589
Re: Ballet Classes for Adults who are not Professionals?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
I'm also an ex-dancer... I studied ballet from the age of 4 up to 20, but I haven't taken a class since I was in my second year of uni (almost 8 years).

I haven't looked into adult classes much, but I noticed that one of my old school friends mentioned on Facebook last year that she was going to ballet classes, so there must be some out there.

I'd say it's probably worth contacting the local dance schools in your area and inquiring about adult classes. I'm wondering though, if you would really need to attend a beginner's class? Even if you haven't danced for a few years, I wonder if you might find a beginner's class a bit too basic (I still remember most of my ballet and can still dance en pointe... or at least I would be able to if my old shoes weren't broken... it's just that my muscles are stiff and aren't very strong at the moment, so I'm a bit rusty - I might try to go for more of an intermediate class if I went back to dance).

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »
Hmmm dunno about ballet classes for beginners but our local Adult Education Service does stuff like pilates for beginners and yoga for beginners so maybe try checking into Adult Ed?
Maroon Passport Club!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
Our local theatre offers adult dance classes of all types (ballet, tap, modern, hip-hop, street dance, etc) for all different levels -

You can also find salsa dancing, ballroom dancing, ceilidh dancing, swing dancing, etc in independent classes- held in community/village halls and leisure centres.  

I would imagine dance schools offer adult classes as well

So I suppose you just need to have a look and call and see what's out there in your area. Have fun  :)  

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
I just did a quick Google for dance classes in Glasgow, and there are loads! I'm not sure how many will fit your specific needs, but it looks as if Dance Factory will at least - they list a Beginners Ballet for Adults class on their schedule.

Have fun!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!  Chary, I've had a look at that link and I think I might just give them a call tomorrow.  :)  I'm so looking forward to getting back into it!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »
I attend a weekly ballet class.  It's an ok workout but it's not as effective as going to the gym or even pilates.  I don't think it has much effect on my fitness but it's enjoyable and good for posture and flexibility.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
I was browsing around for something like this as well. I have found a sort of pay as you go classes where you pay for each class that you attend, but for 8-10 pounds for an hour and half long class is a bit too much for me. I did find some colleges that offered term long weekly classes (12 weeks in total) for less than 90 quid, so I would recommend looking at those :) Good luck.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:54:15 AM »
I attend a weekly ballet class.  It's an ok workout but it's not as effective as going to the gym or even pilates.  I don't think it has much effect on my fitness but it's enjoyable and good for posture and flexibility.

I thought this might be the case, so thanks for confirming it.  :) I'd imagine if I went to class every night like I used to, it would be a different story, but that ain't gonna happen!  I'm looking into some pilates dvds at the moment to use the rest of the week, and maybe will consider picking up a pilates class as well, once I've got an income.

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:54:46 AM »
I was browsing around for something like this as well. I have found a sort of pay as you go classes where you pay for each class that you attend, but for 8-10 pounds for an hour and half long class is a bit too much for me. I did find some colleges that offered term long weekly classes (12 weeks in total) for less than 90 quid, so I would recommend looking at those :) Good luck.

Thanks!  I'll check into this!  :)

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:37 AM »
i take class twice a week (I try to get in three days, but it never seems to end up happening) and I find it to be an excellent workout.  I would say it's much more effective than the gym and I am always sore at least the next morning, if not for two days.  I'm a former professional ballet dancer, but I haven't taken class regularly for over a year, so it could be my level of fitness, but I always have found ballet to be a great workout.  It may also be because I take an Intermediate or an Advanced adult class rather than Beginning.  Also, as a student most classes are between £5.50 and £8.  Non-student rates generally begin around £6.50.  As a comparison in San Francisco the cheapest adult class I found was $15 and in NYC it's generally around $18-$20. 
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
I agree that you will get a much harder workout from intermediate or advanced classes vs. beginner.  Keep in mind that in a dance class you will be getting a mental workout as well as a physical one. You can't spend as much time moving about because you have to stop and learn the positions and choreography.  It's not like weight training or running or a treadmill where there is more constant, and possibly harder, physical activity but it doesn't take as much brain work.

When you get to higher levels you can increase the amount of physical activity.

Also, I haven't taken a ballet class in years but it seems that some are more geared around increasing flexibility for people who aren't very flexible rather than real ballet. 

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
Hmmm, I guess if I manage to get myself to that kind of level again maybe I will look into intermediate classes for a good workout.  That and maybe attend a class more frequently, once the money situation improves.  I'm fairly certain the steps and such will all come back to me, but it's the fear of keeling over that has me worried.  I am seriously out of shape, it's frightening.  :P

Thanks everyone for the input, this is really really helpful stuff!  :)

Sponsored Links