Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does my sister-in-law count as a relative?  (Read 7008 times)

• Mouse Hunting
  • Liked: 1
Does my sister-in-law count as a relative?
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
My eligibility for naturalisation is quickly approaching, and I'm starting to think about rounding up potential referees.
The easiest person to ask who has a professional standing would be my sister-in-law. She is the woman who is married to my husband's brother. Does she count as a relative? I suppose she does share the last name, so it might be complicated to explain.

I can ask my supervisor, who is a Doctor, but our acquaintance will be two months shy of the three year requirement when I am finally eligible to apply.
Dated long distance: 2000-2005
Married: May 2005
Both lived stateside: 2005-2008
Moved to the UK/FLR: May 2008
ILR: May 2010
British Citizenship: January 2012
British Passport: March 2012

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
Re: Does my sister-in-law count as a relative?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
Unless WebyJ or someone else with more knowledge contradicts me, I would say that your sister-in-law counts as a relative, so you won't be able to use her as a referee.  Don't forget teachers and social workers count as professional status.  Do you know any?
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
Any thoughts on whether DH's brother's fiancee would count as a relative?  I was thinking along the same lines as across, although I do know teachers they are EFL teachers in a private language school, not proper schoolteachers.  Would they still count?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
Do you know anyone in the US who would meet the criteria?

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:35 AM »
I would say that inlaws, even ones that are married to inlaws, wouldn't count because the form says you can't use someone who is related by marriage.  We didn't even use my SiL's (sort of ex) partner because even though they aren't married and not really in a relationship at them moment, he is sort of related to my relations through their kids.  I wouldn't use a fiancée either, even though it might be technically not excluded, it sort of goes against the spirit of what they want, as dated and meaningless as what they want is.

Malcolm's spot on.  You can use referees from the US (or someone of any nationality) for the professional one.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:09:31 AM »
You could also wait the 2 months until your supervisor is eligible.  Presumably, you have ILR, so there isn't necessarily a strict deadline that you need to apply by.  It might just be easier?
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Mouse Hunting
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
You could also wait the 2 months until your supervisor is eligible.  Presumably, you have ILR, so there isn't necessarily a strict deadline that you need to apply by.  It might just be easier?

Yes, plan B is just to wait. I know lots of folks in the US, but not sure it's worth the effort of mailing the forms over to get signed just to complete things a month sooner.
Dated long distance: 2000-2005
Married: May 2005
Both lived stateside: 2005-2008
Moved to the UK/FLR: May 2008
ILR: May 2010
British Citizenship: January 2012
British Passport: March 2012

Sponsored Links