Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fresh Fare  (Read 960 times)

• Liked: 0
Fresh Fare
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
I am a vegan, and wondering how easy it is to find fresh fruit and veg in Nottingham. Is it a fairly progressive area, or oldschool British - IE fish and chips and other staple foods that aren't so veg* friendly?

Re: Fresh Fare
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »
I think it would be fairly easy in Nottingham. I don't live there but if I can find things in my little village in Lincolnshire surly they must have a nice selection in Notts.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
Supermarkets in the UK have fresh fruit & veg just as they do in the US.

I tend to get most of mine from farm shops and farmers' markets, though, and you shouldn't have trouble finding those near Nottingham.

Try looking here:
Farm shops
More fresh food sources
Farmers markets
And more farmers markets
Pick-your-own farms
More pick-your-own farms

Some smaller but excellent places aren't always listed on the big sites, so it's always helpful to Google 'farm shops' and your hometown to see what else you find.

There are also fruit & veg box schemes if you'd rather have yours delivered to you. Have a Google and see what you find!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »
I am a vegan, and wondering how easy it is to find fresh fruit and veg in Nottingham. Is it a fairly progressive area, or oldschool British - IE fish and chips and other staple foods that aren't so veg* friendly?

I know of at least two fruit/veg stalls in the city centre that are there every day.  There is also an indoor market in the Victoria Centre that also sells fruit and veg year round, (but I haven't been there in awhile, and can't attest to how fresh it is...)  Normally I just get my fruits and vegetables from the grocery store.

A while back we also received something in the post about having fruit/veg boxes delivered to your door by a local farm like chary suggested.  I think I remember it being relatively inexpensive, compared to paying for organic produce at the shops...Plus, you're supporting the local farmers :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »
You shouldn't have trouble finding fresh fruit and veg in stalls in any of the town centers. There is a vegan bakery called the Screaming Carrot and the Sumac Centre has cheap vegan meals although it is also an activist centre that has had some bad press lately so I would be careful about who you get friendly with, but they may be a good contact for products  and what you can get locally.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »
I don't know about Notts, but the UK has an amazing selection of vegan foods. I live in Manchester and we have a vegan supermarket, its a co-operative and its amazing. I think many towns, small and large will have proximity to health food type shop, and there is always the internet. Good luck!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »
I live in Exeter and there are tons of places to buy fresh fruit and veg, just as you should be able to find in any large town/city :).

I live near the city centre and when I walked into town yesterday, I passed 9 different shops selling fresh fruit and veg... all on the same road and all within a 15-minute walk from my flat: an ethnic food store, a small Co-Op, a large Co-op, a fruit and veg market stall, a greengrocers, a small Sainsbury's, a Tesco Express, a Marks and Spencer and a large Sainsbury's.

Sponsored Links