Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Plymouth bound aka Mayflower in reverse-long msg  (Read 1048 times)

• Liked: 1
Plymouth bound aka Mayflower in reverse-long msg
« on: April 02, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »
;D Had to start off with a big smile!  I am so glad to have found this site!  I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself.  I am an American (ex- military brat globe trotter) married to a Brit.  Two years ago we made the choice to live in Atlanta, but the long commutes, suburbia, lack of sidewalks and no local pub within 20 miles are making us rethink our decision.  Not to mention the lack of a decent vacation/holiday and no hope of a decent materity leave either.  My job expects 46 hours from salaried employees to help control labor costs.  Usually spend 12+ hours a day out of the house.

Sappy story to follow.  I see that many of you met online which is cool.  We had a similar experience in that we met through mutal friends in Barcelona, Spain and then had a two year writing relationship.  I'm talking letters here...before talking on the phone and flying back and forth.  He proposed to me in two parts on top the the Empire State Building and finally in Lyme Regis (lovely place).   It's a long story but v v romantic.

Anyway!  We are heading back to the UK within the year and are now going through the chaos that is PETS, anxiety of leaving my parents (I'm an only child and they are getting older), thinking of how to drive and  not hit hedgerows or sheep, worry about finding a job for both of us and just plain uncertainity of how I will really feel living the day to day life in the UK.  AAAAAAH!  

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through it and survived.  I'm pretty adapatable and have lived all over the world, but just more stressed out than when I was younger.  

I'll stop babbling now.   :)
Pamela

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Plymouth bound aka Mayflower in reverse-long m
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 09:45:46 AM »
I'm an Army brat too and I think it's easiest (the transition) for us type. Although, you have the added role as only child and that's got to be the hardest. However, I found my own family to be very very supportive. (Heck, my brother lives in Germany now.) They realize the distance isn't that great, there's always a phone around, and airfare isn't as scary a number as one might think.

I love the adventure. I love the history and all the new things to learn. The TV is better and the grass is greener and there's just something about being called "love" by everyone. 4 o'clock tea, horses on country lanes, lambing weekends...well, it's been a really good decision for me.

Your proposal sounds very romantic! Mine was drawn out to the point of me almost demanding where it was  [smiley=laugh4.gif] but then it finally happened on a canal boat (another highly recommended experience).

Have fun with your move!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 12:54:21 PM »
Hello Pamela, welcome. :) Love your subject, it gave me a chuckle. I wouldn't have thought of that.

If you can get to Plymouth before Thanksgiving, they do a big Thanksgiving Festival in honor of us Americans. I haven't been, but it looks great. I'd like to go sometime.

It's not an easy move, exciting, and a great adventure. Sometimes I get tired of the adventure, and am very homesick. But for the most part, I'm happy and at home here. Though I can't imagine how I would have not gone insane at times if not for the people on this board. :) It's good to know that there are others who are going through the same things as you are.

Good luck with the move, and all of the pets issues. :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 02:01:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  It just helps to know that there are many others in the same situation.  

It also helps to know that it is doable!

Plus, once there I can have my share of chocolate digestives!  

They're mine all mine!!!!!  ;D Okay I'll share!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab