Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok, stupid question alert!  (Read 3282 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Ok, stupid question alert!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »
Cool, thanks. I will be checking out that website ASAP.
 BTW you're in Nottingham, like Nottingham Forest? That's what I love about the UK, that the places we see in the movies and think of as fantasies really do exist. Well sometimes anyway.lol  I remember seeing the third Lord of the Rings movie while I was in Sheffield and thinking as we were driving through the countryside that I could be in Middle Earth. 

Ironically, the Lord Of The Rings films were made about as far from England as it's possible to get.

You'll also find that a lot of people in the UK think of America as being the place they see in the movies.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »
I was gonna go off on a "Nottingham really is a great place to be robbed by a band of hoods" riff, but apparently crime has been falling drastically:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Newspaper-prints-retraction-city-crime-slurs/article-3413524-detail/article.html

/AA Gill again - never heard of him till the other day now he's in everything I read
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »
That's funny, because I actually currently live in what was once considered the "wild west".  Tombstone is about a 45 minute drive from Tucson, Boot Hill and all! ;)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

May you find hope in the darkest hours and focus on the brightest days free from bitterness that grows you may not judge the universe.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »
I was gonna go off on a "Nottingham really is a great place to be robbed by a band of hoods" riff, but apparently crime has been falling drastically

Haha, I think it depends on how you look at it. I live in the city centre of "Shottingham", which is historically known for its violence...But growing up 10 mins from Camden NJ, I've never felt safer!
For those who don't know, Camden was the third-most dangerous city in the U.S. during 2002, and has been ranked the nation's most dangerous city in 2004, 2005 and 2009.[64] "Most dangerous city" is based on crime statistics in six categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and auto theft. (Stolen from Wikipedia)

But yeah, OP--There's all the fun Robin Hood / Sheriff of Nottingham stuff around here. Just visited the castle today :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 12:28:33 AM »
Well, have fun storming the castle! 
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

May you find hope in the darkest hours and focus on the brightest days free from bitterness that grows you may not judge the universe.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
Haha, I think it depends on how you look at it. I live in the city centre of "Shottingham", which is historically known for its violence...But growing up 10 mins from Camden NJ, I've never felt safer!
For those who don't know, Camden was the third-most dangerous city in the U.S. during 2002, and has been ranked the nation's most dangerous city in 2004, 2005 and 2009.[64] "Most dangerous city" is based on crime statistics in six categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and auto theft. (Stolen from Wikipedia)

Only in New Jersey can you have the some of the highest property taxes in the US, 3 of the richest counties in the US, along with some of the the highest crime rates in the US.  All that money going around and we can't sort ourselves out!  Oh how I miss it!  :P  ;)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »
Pickled and nose,

I had heard that about New Jersey. My knowledge of it is drawn mostly from Bon Jovi (Tommy used to work on the docks...), Artie Lange (still alive I think), Stephanie Plum mysteries and Jersey Shore.

I always think of Springsteen though:

"In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway american dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines"
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 05:31:52 PM »
/AA Gill again - never heard of him till the other day now he's in everything I read

Sunday Times critic AA Gill dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38276456

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
I was gonna go off on a "Nottingham really is a great place to be robbed by a band of hoods" riff, but apparently crime has been falling drastically:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Newspaper-prints-retraction-city-crime-slurs/article-3413524-detail/article.html

In his Sunday Times column based on a Sunday lunch visit to Hart's restaurant in Nottingham city centre, AA Gill refers to the city's "shocking" crime statistics. He also quotes a dining companion on a drive through the city centre saying, "We're going to be made to squeal like pigs and stomped with ultraviolence"...

The paper printed a retraction in its Sunday, April 3 edition. It read: "In recent columns, both Daisy Waugh and AA Gill referred to what they believed to be Nottingham's high crime rate. In fact, the city's crime rate fell by 50 per cent from 2002-3 to the year ending in February, and the city was ranked 25th in Home Office figures for violence against the person in 2009-10. We are happy to set the record straight."

Pig farmer Angus Porkpie was also issued an apology for the gratuitous linking of pigs to violence. "My Tamworths are gentle as lambs," said Porkpie. "The only stomping they do is in aid of production of our exclusive vintage,
Ce petit cochon est allé à Nottingham." The Times was unable to confirm the Google translation.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
"We're going to be made to squeal like pigs and stomped with ultraviolence"...

Regarding this Berraism ...

Isn't the former more to do with societal fear of the natural world and the latter with fear of the man-made? Leaving us with only perhaps the suburban's cloistered demise?

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »
Cool, thanks. I will be checking out that website ASAP.
 BTW you're in Nottingham, like Nottingham Forest? That's what I love about the UK, that the places we see in the movies and think of as fantasies really do exist. Well sometimes anyway.lol  I remember seeing the third Lord of the Rings movie while I was in Sheffield and thinking as we were driving through the countryside that I could be in Middle Earth.

hahah just a side note off of this, I find that when I pronounce things differently (that brits think is incorrect), it's usually a good ice breaker. When I'm with friends and coworkers, we will take the piss out of each other when it comes to pronunciations f words (we went back and forth over "tomato" this past weekend).

I think the best way to learn, honestly, is to just to be here and be dropped in it. That's literally the best way to do it. Maybe you are thinking a lot about it because the move is an exciting but nervous event so you are just overly worrying as it's something that makes the move more real? If that's the case, just keep reminding yourself not too stress too much because nobody is going to be too bothered about that and you will learn as you go :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 07:15:36 PM »
hahah just a side note off of this, I find that when I pronounce things differently (that brits think is incorrect), it's usually a good ice breaker. When I'm with friends and coworkers, we will take the piss out of each other when it comes to pronunciations f words (we went back and forth over "tomato" this past weekend).

I think the best way to learn, honestly, is to just to be here and be dropped in it. That's literally the best way to do it. Maybe you are thinking a lot about it because the move is an exciting but nervous event so you are just overly worrying as it's something that makes the move more real? If that's the case, just keep reminding yourself not too stress too much because nobody is going to be too bothered about that and you will learn as you go :)
Make sure you learn all the proper football terms. It's a kit not uniform. Penalty not pk. Pitch not field. Etc don't want to be deported in 90 days like Bob Bradley... lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
Make sure you learn all the proper football terms. It's a kit not uniform. Penalty not pk. Pitch not field. Etc don't want to be deported in 90 days like Bob Bradley... lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I take the IT Crowd approach to football, personally! Hahahah
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »
Make sure you learn all the proper football terms.

Offside Rule:

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:

he is in his own half of the field of play
he is level with the second last opponent
he is level with the last two opponents

Commiting an Offside Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play
interfering with an opponent
gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

a goal kick
a throw-in
a corner kick

Infringements/Sanctions

For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

Sponsored Links