Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Movie Shooting around London Needs North American Extras  (Read 16510 times)

• Liked: 163
Movie Shooting around London Needs North American Extras
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:25:57 PM »
Hi all,

Below is an email I got from a casting agency I did some extra work for a couple of years ago (I was briefly in Green Zone and Robin Hood).  They're looking for North American people to be extras in a movie called World War Z, which is shooting around London later in 2011.

We are looking for a lot of people who are NORTH AMERICAN.

If you might be suitable please apply online through our website

www.castingcollective.co.uk

and follow the link for REAL AMERICAN Extras Wanted.

The casting brief is as follows:

The scenes we are casting for is set in Philadelphia and New Jersey. We are looking for men and women aged 16-99 who are North American.

The shoot is scheduled from July to November in the London Area.

If you are suitable we will contact you directly regarding an open casting we are holding in our office in May.

If anyone is interested, but wants to know what the actual work was like, let me know.

ciao,
Carl

Re: Movie Shooting around London Needs North American Extras
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
Oh, man, I would love, love, love to be in a zombie film, and I read that book, but I do not want to give my measurements, nor are they staying static for the period of shooting.  But if anyone does this, please let me know how it goes so I can be all envious really happy for you.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »
Oh this looks like fun!! Would totally do it if I weren't all the way up here!  I've always wondered about how people become extras.  Does it pay well?
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:07:59 PM »
Oh this looks like fun!! Would totally do it if I weren't all the way up here!  I've always wondered about how people become extras.  Does it pay well?

Don't know about UK companies but I was in Orson Welles and Me...and I got paid really well....

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting more information about this as well! I only live an hour out of London, so it wouldn't be horrible to get to...My only problem is that I may have a full time job then as well! So I don't know if I could do it! But I want to know anyways JUST in case!! :)
~Amberelle

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
I've always wondered about how people become extras.  Does it pay well?

I got the first job when a casting agency posted on a Facebook group for Americans in London that they were looking for Americans with military experience to be in Green Zone.  I emailed them a photo and that was it.

I met a guy on Green Zone who passed along the casting email from Robin Hood (different casting company).  They were just looking for anybody to play soldiers (there were hundreds in the movie).  I had to go to a big casting call for that one.  They measured everyone, took our pictures, and had a quick interview about what skills we might have they'd be interested in (military experience, horse riding ability, sword fighting, etc). 

The casting took hours (there were hundreds of people to process), but they said everyone who waited would get to be in the movie, so at least nobody wasted their time waiting.

As for money, I generally got somewhere between £125 and £200 for the day, which would generally be about 10 hours.  So it doesn't pay spectacularly well, but then again it's not like working in a coal mine.   :)

The variation in pay depended on what time we started, what time we finished, and what we had to do in the scene.  In Green Zone it was an office set either walking around or sitting at a desk, no crazy start or finish times = £125.  On Robin Hood there was a scene shot in a big pool at Pinewood Studios which paid more because we got wet, and another one that took place at night so we got paid more for having to be there at a ridiculous time.

We rarely went longer than 10 hours because the overtime costs would quickly add up, and they watched the clock closely.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
My husband was in Maid of Honor and Flight 92 which were filmed at Pinewood. I wonder if it was the same casting agency, camoscato!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
I applied! Let's see if I get called ;)
met: Nov 2007
engaged: Jan 2010
married: Oct 2010
spousal visa granted: Feb 2011
moved to UK: Feb 2011
provisional license: Jan 2013
ILR granted: Mar 2013

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
If it's an extra with no lines, why does it specify "North Americans"....do they look significantly different to Brits?
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
If it's an extra with no lines, why does it specify "North Americans"....do they look significantly different to Brits?

The easy answer is occasionally they grab an extra to do a small speaking part, so the accent needs to be right.  

The answer that's going to cause trouble is yes, there are some Brits who do not look North American.   :)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
Sounds awesome!

Darn my full time job.  Says I probably wouldn't be successful due to availability issues.  Totally understandable, but sounds like so much fun! 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Awww!! I really want to apply, but a full time job comes first!  :-[
~Amberelle

• Liked: 7
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
I applied! Let's see if I get called ;)

Me too! I think it would be neat to get called back. I grew up in the Philly/South Jersey area! I can put the accent back on quite easily...do you get paid more for saying a line or two?
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »
This is filming in Glasgow in August now!  :D  Totally signing up!

If anyone else is interested: Extras Wanted: World War z
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 07:54:20 AM »
OMG! I love WWZ.

Sponsored Links