Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Recent unread posts?  (Read 2593 times)

• Liked: 163
Recent unread posts?
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
The last couple of times I've clicked on "Show unread posts since last visit" under my user name, the forum has said there aren't any unread posts since my last visit.  I'm sure there have been posts, but for some reason the forum thinks I've seen them.

Today, for example, the first time I visited was about 12:30pm UK time, and the message said there were no unread posts, even though I can see in the main forum view that there have been posts made all morning, and I haven't read any of them.

I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.  Anybody got any thoughts or helpful advice?  Or just want to give me a rundown on what's been going on since I last visited?   ;)

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
Re: Recent unread posts?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
They're unread posts since you last visited, so if it thinks you were just here, it would say "nothing new in the last 5 minutes" or however recently the board thinks you were here. It could be an issue with your cookies. Do you close the window when you're done or just the tab? What browser are you using?

To recap: the government is continuing to play silly buggers with our futures, some of us think Brits are bonkers, some of us think Americans are bonkers, a newbie asked a question someone answered for a different newbie yesterday, and there are a lot of comments proving that we're the best community online anywhere.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
To recap: the government is continuing to play silly buggers with our futures, some of us think Brits are bonkers, some of us think Americans are bonkers, a newbie asked a question someone answered for a different newbie yesterday, and there are a lot of comments proving that we're the best community online anywhere.

Nice!  ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

But you left off people are having different things for tea, some of us just had a coke/a glass of water/a beer, and people have just eaten various things.  And the weather is pretty nice, and it's Friday.  :D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
LOL! ;D

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »
They're unread posts since you last visited, so if it thinks you were just here, it would say "nothing new in the last 5 minutes" or however recently the board thinks you were here. It could be an issue with your cookies. Do you close the window when you're done or just the tab? What browser are you using?

I hadn't accessed the forum since yesterday on my home computer, and was accessing it from work, so it'd been long enough that there should've been posts.  Maybe the work computer isn't allowing cookies, though, and thinking about it, that's probably it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

;D

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
Camoscoto, I've noticed this too.  I think sometimes the Recent Unread Topics just resets.  Typically it's sometime during the night, but it's not every night and sometimes at other times of the day as well.  No rhyme or reason.  If it happens again, click "All unread topics" at the bottom of the page, and everything will reappear. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
LOL @noirem!

Unread posts depends on cookies and on what the forum software has marked as read. I would suggest deleting cookies as these can become corrupted by a browser crash or blip, and also clicking the Mark All Read on the forum index to give it clean slate to start from.

Let me know if you still have issues after trying those. Fingers crossed.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Thanks, Leah & Historyenne.  Based on the cookies info and the fact that now that I'm accessing from my home computer the list seems to once again be functioning like I expect it to, I think it was probably the fairly restrictive internet policy at the place I was working for today.

Thanks again for the help.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
Unread posts depends on cookies and on what the forum software has marked as read. I would suggest deleting cookies as these can become corrupted by a browser crash or blip, and also clicking the Mark All Read on the forum index to give it clean slate to start from.

Let me know if you still have issues after trying those. Fingers crossed.

I've been having the same problem on and off for a while. Am having it right now, actually, after several weeks of not having the problem. Nothing shows up as being unread, but then when I look at the forum there are topics highlighted in red, meaning I haven't read them... It's particularly noticeable when I check the forum on my phone and see all the unread posts, yet then log in on my computer and none are there (and I've not hit 'mark all read' between visits). I've deleted all my cookies and frequently 'mark all read' when I'm here. Any idea what else might be causing this?
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »
I've been having the same problem on and off for a while. Am having it right now, actually, after several weeks of not having the problem. Nothing shows up as being unread, but then when I look at the forum there are topics highlighted in red, meaning I haven't read them... It's particularly noticeable when I check the forum on my phone and see all the unread posts, yet then log in on my computer and none are there (and I've not hit 'mark all read' between visits). I've deleted all my cookies and frequently 'mark all read' when I'm here. Any idea what else might be causing this?
I'm using Firefox, and also having this problem.  I had a time this week where I hadn't visited UKY for 48 hours.  It claimed there were no new posts since my last visit.  I'm still having that issue. 

Also, I used to be able to log in and stay logged in, even if I left the page.  Not always anymore.  I've noticed both issues happening since I upgraded to Firefox 4.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:53:07 AM »
I cleared the cache and cookies, and can now see some unread posts listed.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »
I will do some database checks and maintenance this weekend in case there are any issues causing this there.

Sponsored Links