Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Volunteering on Tourist Visa  (Read 3066 times)

• Liked: 0
Volunteering on Tourist Visa
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
Hello-
I'm currently living in the UK on a 6 month tourist visa before moving over here permanently once my fiance and I get married.  I am getting quite stir crazy while here since I'm not able to work.  Does anyone know if I am permitted to volunteer?  Since I will be applying for a spouse visa in a few months, I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my chances. 
Thanks-
Audrey

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: Volunteering on Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Sorry, you're not allowed to volunteer! (You, technically, can't even babysit for friends or family or ANYTHING). It does make life tough. Can you explore or check out the area where you will be living? Find favourite coffee shops?
Did you know you can't switch from a tourist visa to a spouse visa in the UK? (just checking....)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »
You could do some, erm, tourism?

• TELL ME IT WILL BE ALRIGHT
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
Hello-
I'm currently living in the UK on a 6 month tourist visa before moving over here permanently once my fiance and I get married.  I am getting quite stir crazy while here since I'm not able to work.  Does anyone know if I am permitted to volunteer?  Since I will be applying for a spouse visa in a few months, I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my chances. 
Thanks-
Audrey

where are you staying at as maybe there are some ppl from here nearby that you can meet up with

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
Bummer!  I didn't think so, but I thought I would check.  Thanks for the info!  I've done loads of touristy things thus far and thought I would try something more interactive :) 
I am aware of that I can't switch to a spouse visa while here, we are getting married in the US, so hopefully all will be well on that front.
Thanks again!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »
Just to pick up on what others forgot to mention...  It exposes the sponsor to a GBP 10k fine if they get caught.  For voluntary organisations, a fine like that can HURT.

So be careful!

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »
I'm currently living in the UK on a 6 month tourist visa before moving over here permanently once my fiance and I get married.  I am getting quite stir crazy while here since I'm not able to work. 

Hi Audrey,  I'm currently making up my mind of whether or not to avoid this stir-crazy situation myself.  My partner has taken a 3 year transfer to the UK, and my plans for a work transfer have fallen through.  I'm staying in the US for 6 months to finish my work contract, and then planning to go over as a visitor until we get married or I decide to switch visa categories (find a UK school I like, then go back to the US to apply for the Fall.) 

I'm curious to know how long you've been in the UK as a tourist?  Did you have any trouble at the border coming in for such a long stay?  I've been warned that getting the stamp for a six month visa isn't really a sure thing when you arrive if you have done a lot of tourism in the UK.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »
Talk about cabin fever!  I totally understand what you are going through! Been there, still sorta doing that.

I was here for just under 6 months as a visitor before I went home and applied for my fiance visa.  So technically, I've been here for over a year.  I can't tell you how sad it was that I couldn't even give my skills away!

The only thing I can advise is to get involved attending community events or courses.  In order to make friends of my own I joined a Zumba class.  But that was just a few months ago.  I was going stir crazy before.  Even heading into town wasn't enough.  Just today I thought about going to Nottingham just to get out and my husband all but pushed me out the door LOL. 

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
Definitely no volunteering! I worked with a girl from New Zealand who was here for a couple of years. Her work visa just expired so she went to Amsterdam to stay with her aunt for a couple of months. She planned to come back to the UK on a tourist visa, ship the rest of her stuff home, and do some volunteering....She told this to border patrol when trying to come back into the UK and they wouldn't let her in. She's now back in Amsterdam having to apply for a visitor visa so she can come back into the UK to catch her flight back home. Beware!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab