Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone bring a Vitamix from the US???  (Read 4470 times)

• Liked: 0
Anyone bring a Vitamix from the US???
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:09:06 AM »
Movers are coming tomorrow and I am unsure whether to ship my Vitamix. I didnt buy a converter...just figured I will get one in UK but someone just told me that converter could cost couple hundred dollars. Any truth to this?
I am also nervous about possibly ruining the blender because of the electrical issue. Its an expensive item and costs even more to buy in the UK.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone bring a Vitamix from the US???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
Because of the motor in it, I would think you'd need a really good converter to get it to work in the UK. Some people have had luck with converters with their sewing machines, which I guess would be the closest equivalent as they have strong internal motors. So you might just be able to swing it. I have no idea what the cost would be.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Thanks Cali girl.

I read the posts about people using it for their sewing machines successfully and was thinking the same thing...

Guess Im just hoping there is a vitamix user out there who has gone through the same thing so I would feel more confident about it. Movers coming in 3 hours so I will have to make a decision either way!!!

• Liked: 56
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
I know this is 6 years old, but wondering if you found a solution for the Vitamix. We have one that we would sorely miss... and would love to keep the $400 investment.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Married: 1992
Biometrics + docs sent:        18 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email:   23 Oct 2017
Decision email:                    18 Nov 2017
Landing in UK:                     31 Dec 2017
Passed Life in UK test:       16 Sep 2022
ILR application:                   3 Dec 2022
ILR decision:                        17 Jan 2023

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »
I think I remember Nan D posting about some good converters. I just ended up getting a small ninja. It's not quite as powerful, but for what I blend it should do. We don't have the space for a full size blender + converter in the kitchen!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
Movers are coming tomorrow and I am unsure whether to ship my Vitamix. I didnt buy a converter...just figured I will get one in UK but someone just told me that converter could cost couple hundred dollars. Any truth to this?
I am also nervous about possibly ruining the blender because of the electrical issue. Its an expensive item and costs even more to buy in the UK.

Thanks!
I ended up gifting my Vitamix and Kitchen Aid mixer to my son. To me, it wasn't worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
It worked for me but in lame mode. I used a cheap converter to change the voltage from 220 volts to 110 but the UK 50 Hz frequency made it work in two modes - fast and slow. The variable speed control simply did not work.

I think the US Vitamix needs both 110 volts and 60 Hz. to work properly.

I brought the US Vitamix back to the states, where it has worked fine ever since, so no permanent damage done by the UK electrical system. However, the TSA kindly unpacked my luggage when I first brought it to the UK, did not replace it properly and the chassis got cracked during the trip. I thought about filing a claim (two year deadline), but since the damage was minimal, figured that I would be unable to get a new one.

I have since purchased a UK Vitamix and have enjoyed smooth performance ever since.

A side note is that the US pitcher developed a leak. Not sure if it was a simple defect or UK water but I was stuck with that because I could not return it to US Vitamix for a replacement until I went back to the US. Actually, US Vitamix never asked for the defective pitcher, and just shipped a replacement to a US address.

Sponsored Links