Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The new "lost" Gormenghast book, Titus Awakes  (Read 2200 times)

• Fehr Trade
  • Liked: 1
The new "lost" Gormenghast book, Titus Awakes
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Is anyone else a fan of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books? I discovered them about ten years ago after the BBC did the amazing miniseries adaptation starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Steerpike (and just about every famous British actor still working, in the best casting ever!). We were at a British Library talk a few weeks ago when I saw in the booklet that not only is there an exhibition on now showing a lot of Mervyn Peake's drawings and original manuscripts, but there's a talk celebrating the series, featuring Peake's eldest son. So we rushed home and bought tickets (£7.50, bargain!) and the event was last night.

I was flabbergasted to see that not only was Sebastien Peake speaking, but the man who's doing the current Radio 4 adaptation of the series was also there, plus author China Miéville, and we were treated to readings by John Sessions, Zoe Wannamaker, and Miranda Richardson!! It was only a small room, but it was SUCH a treat to be read to by these fantastic actors!

And of course, I bought the newest (last!) book, Titus Awakes, while I was there, too.

Has anyone read this yet? Any other Gormenghast fans out there? There's another BL talk on 26 July that isn't sold out yet, too.
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: The new "lost" Gormenghast book, Titus Awakes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:35 AM »
Sorry. I'm supposed to be reading the original trilogy this summer for a book group, but I've given up. I absolutely loathe it!! So the news that there's yet another book isn't exactly welcome here!  :P ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
I loved the mini-series, but couldn't get into the books.  Still interesting to know though.  :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
Sorry. I'm supposed to be reading the original trilogy this summer for a book group, but I've given up. I absolutely loathe it!! So the news that there's yet another book isn't exactly welcome here!  :P ;)

Ah, this is the one you were talking about!

What is the book about?
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links