Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PETS Process In Detail - January 2012 Onward  (Read 35057 times)

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: PETS Process In Detail - January 2012 Onward
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
The Annex II must be done within 10 days of departure. That is the one that has to be signed by your vet, not the USDA vet.

There is no "official" certificate for the microchip needed; the only thing you need to do is make absolutely certain it meets ISO standards. If it does not, you'll be stuck at the airport or your cat stuck in quarantine. The microchip number is verified on the paperwork filled out and signed by your vet.

A different vet can sign off -- if they're willing to do so. You'd need proof of the rabies vaccine being current and being done after the microchipping; since your cat is a rescue, your vet may wish to re-vaccinate to be absolutely certain.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:06:58 PM by Gwen666 »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
Wow. Thanks for this. I had done my own research and completely misunderstood. I thought we had to wait six months after the vaccination. Maybe I was looking at old rules (pre January 2012).

My pup is my baby so I really want to make sure we get this right and I'm still a little confused, especially about my particular options.

He is microchiped already with a HomeAgain chip. I've ready different reports about if these chips meet ISO standards or not. I figured I would just purchase or rent a scanner for travel just to be safe.

He also has always received regular rabbies vaccinations. I assumed from my own research that regardless of this he would need to get a new vaccination but I understand from your post that maybe that's not necessary IF I can prove that he had the microchip before he was vaccinated. How would I prove this?

We are waiting to sell our house to move, so timing is a night mare. What can I do now? I really want to be prepared and do as much up front as I can since once the house sells we'll have to do some mad organization including getting my family visa and getting the dog ready to move.

Thanks for any advise you can provide.
Best,
Aimee
*2004 Met in Belgium
*June 2006 married in Scotland
*Nov 2006 moved to the Netherlands
*Nov 2009 moved to the US
*April 17 2013 - VAF4 online visa Application filed (not priority)
*April 24 2013 - Biometrics
*April 29 2013 - VAF4 spousal visa supporting documents received in UKBA NY Hub
*May 10 2013 - Received receipt email from Sheffield.
*May 13 - Em requested additional information
*May 15 - Em from Sheffield  decision made
*May 17 - Passport returned w/ visa!
*June 07 - Entered UK

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »
He is microchiped already with a HomeAgain chip. I've ready different reports about if these chips meet ISO standards or not. I figured I would just purchase or rent a scanner for travel just to be safe.

If you're traveling into Heathrow you should be fine - one of my boys has a HomeAgain chip and it has been readable by Heathrow ARC as well as 3 vets post-move. You can always phone DEFRA to ask about your options before renting/buying a scanner.

He also has always received regular rabbies vaccinations. I assumed from my own research that regardless of this he would need to get a new vaccination but I understand from your post that maybe that's not necessary IF I can prove that he had the microchip before he was vaccinated. How would I prove this?

The only way to prove this would be to have a dated document showing the microchipping and then the follow-up date on the rabies vaccination. A lot of people also have the vet put the microchip number on the rabies vaccination certificate as well.

You could also try a letter from your vet (assuming they're the one that did the chip and vaccine) stating that the chip was inserted on date X, and the latest vaccine was given on date Y.

What can I do now?

If you've already got the chip & vaccine done, you're mostly there. You could send your documents to your USDA vet for verification if you like (don't get them signed off, though, as it's only good for 10 days now). Some people have also sent their documents to DEFRA for verification. You can also get quotes from airlines as to flight options/times/costs, but usually you can't book the flight until 14 days in advance (for the pet, obviously for yourself you can book anytime).

Unfortunately most of the last-minute things are, by definition, last-minute, and have to be done in the two weeks before moving.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a time requirement between microchipping and getting the rabies vaccine? I read on DEFRA that the microchip must be done first and then the vaccine, but it doesn't specify the timing of these events.  The huz thinks we can do the microchip and vaccine on the same day, one after the other, but I'm not so sure. Any guidance would be much appreciated.   :)   

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
You can do them on the same day, but you'll want to take precautions to make it VERY clear that the chip was done before the vaccine. A lot of people get the chip # added to the vaccine certificate. You can also see if your vet will write a letter stating "I saw [pet] on [date], and during its visit, I inserted microchip number [number] followed by administering rabies vaccine [batch #/ID/whatever]". This may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
Thank you, equestrianerd. That is very helpful information!

• Liked: 82
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »
Ok I am having a moment of utter confusion here.  My husband and I have made sure our kitty was able to come at a moments notice since 2007.  Here is our timeline of events:

24 January 2007 Microchipped (unfortunately with a home again chip) and vaccinated for rabies for 3 years.

27 February 2007: Rabies Titer Export and sent to Kansas (no longer needed correct?)

28 February 2007: FAVN test completed (I have form and will send it with her anyway even tho it isn't necessary)

15 January 2010: Rabies booster 3 years

23 December 2012: Rabies booster 3 years

So I have kept her up to date.  My vet is a USDA certified vet.  When I have them fill out EC 998 before we travel (they wouldn't do it unless we were flying out within 4 months) Are they the ones who stamp and sign it, or do I have to send it off to the States USDA vet's office? 

Thank you for your help.
 ???

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
You have to have your USDA-certified vet fill out the Annex 2 (not the EC 998) within 10 days of your flight. The vet should also issue a certificate of health for travel at that time (this is for the airline's cargo people, not the USDA). As soon as you have the completed Annex 2, you have to have it stamped by the USDA office in your state.

My vet actually got the Annex 2 by fax from our USDA office, did the paperwork and faxed it to the USDA for pre-approval, so that we knew when I mailed everything (you can also go to the USDA in person with the completed paperwork, if that's feasible, but it wasn't for me), the documents would definitely come back with the necessary stamps. Also, the idea was that the USDA would KNOW the paperwork would be arriving, because we'd been in touch, and would hop to it right away.

I bought two overnight labels from USPS.com. One (addressed to the USDA office) went on the envelope of the packet I was sending, the other went on an envelope inside, so the USDA could quickly return everything. My packet consisted of the Annex 2, the overnight-stamped return envelope and a check for the fee for processing ($38 in Pennsylvania). I mailed the packet on a Friday, USDA received Monday, and I received the Annex 2 back, with raised seals on every page, on the Tuesday.

Kittens moved two days later, on Thursday, with no problems entering the UK Friday morning. I'd have had the paperwork back in my hands faster, but my vet faffed the Annex 2 twice, so I was thankful we'd done the "pre-approval" to make sure she got it right. Again, you can drive to the USDA and pay/get the seals in person, but you'd still want to know you're not wasting your time. And as your area USDA veterinarian in charge is in Albany, it's probably a good idea to have your vet in communication with the USDA up front.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:01:23 PM by hms_seahorse »

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
Thank you so much!!!  I will remember to have them fax it first.  I just wanted to make sure it was all in order.  Did go onto Petsonjets.com ( the manchester receiving point) and they can scan Homeagain chips (phew).  I was in a bit of a panic since we found out it will cost 120 pounds a night if she doesn't make it through the process.

Just stressing about all the little things while we are waiting for updated bank stuff for the new visa application :)

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
I don't want to say, "It's worth stressing about," because anxiety is good for nothing, but it is worth preparing when you have a chunk of time to do so. Because of my busy work/work travel schedule and completing the last semester of my second degree, I largely broke the process into three chunks: visa, pet nonsense, packing/moving. Although there was some overlap (e.g., I've been throwing out/giving away/selling/donating my possessions for months), I think each one takes time and energy to get right. So it's good to get yourself in order whilst in a holding pattern on another part of the overall process.

Because I was flying BA, I worked with IAG Cargo on the US end and JCS on the UK end. IAG Cargo double-checked that I'd brought the customs form, a complete Annex II, acceptable certificates of health and their rabies certificates. I brought along a plastic sleeve for taping to each crate to hold the required documents for each of the cats, along with a photo of the cat who's supposed to be in the crate, and the rabies and microchip tags. The IAG people also remeasured the crates to confirm the dimensions I'd provided, did a security check on the crates, weighed them with the cats in, and attached all the documents for me. (Although they were super-disorganised and couldn't find their packing tape, and I'd luckily brought some with me, so I was able to pop to the car and retrieve it for use.) Then they took my money (cash only in Philly, terrible system) and all was settled. (Then I said goodbye, went to my car, and had a cry, because I'm a soppyarse.)

I don't know what your initiating airline is, or its process, but that was my experience. IAG's Philly office was full of very nice people, but they were disorganised and unable to explain various policies, which did not imbue confidence. The UK end was a different story — those companies set up to receive and process your pets seem to be full of employees who love what they do and who understand that some of us ::ahem:: are soppyarses. And everything turned out well in the end. Now just 11 days till snuggles!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:00:22 PM by hms_seahorse »

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
Thanks for the extra info.  I will cry like a baby.  Not sure what airline we will use.  Haven't sorted that out yet.  But I don't think BA goes to Manchester tho, but will figure that all out after I get this second visa application sent off.  Thank you for the information!!!

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
Just make sure you choose an airline that will take live cargo internationally. Found out with a little digging US Airways don't seem to, so it was BA for the kittens. (Only those two airlines fly PHL--->LHR. And nothing to LGW.)

I should mention that the earliest I could book the cats with IAG Cargo was two weeks before the flight date. Also, are you and your husband going to be able to reapply this summer, or are you waiting until autumn? I know heat restrictions can ground your cat, which can cause a lot of issues if you're meant to be traveling. Might be worth sending her over now, before the heat/humidity get out of hand; your husband can pick her up without untoward customs implications.

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
We are reapplying in the next couple days.  Just waiting for him to get the updated bank info either today or tomorrow.  I will be sending her over first.  There was a list on the DEFRA website of approved routes/carriers to Manchester, so I will look into that more once I have sent this visa off.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Did go onto Petsonjets.com ( the manchester receiving point) and they can scan Homeagain chips (phew).  I was in a bit of a panic since we found out it will cost 120 pounds a night if she doesn't make it through the process.

That's a relief! :)

I was really worried about my cats Avid chip, the old 9 digit kind.
Extrordinair, who manage the pet reception center at EDI swore up and down that they would be able to read it but I still borrowed one to bring with me! (Kitten rescue were kind enough to lend one of theirs to me.)

For anyone else reading this worried that their chip might not be able to be read in the UK there are 2 options here.

1- Buy or rent a scanner and have your airline secure it to the outside of the carrier.
2-Have the cat re-chipped with another ISO standard chip and get the rabies shot again and wait 21 days. It does the animal no harm.

If I hadn't been so consumed with my husbands visa application, I would have gone with option 2 but by the time I got back to the cat stuff ( I did the rabies shot months before and my doubts about the chip only surfaced after we had received his visa), there were not another 21 days to spare!

As it turns out, the chip was able to be read, I hadn't needed the borrowed scanner but given the same circumstances I would do the same thing again. It was just one less thing that I had to worry about! :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »
We are reapplying in the next couple days.  Just waiting for him to get the updated bank info either today or tomorrow.  I will be sending her over first.  There was a list on the DEFRA website of approved routes/carriers to Manchester, so I will look into that more once I have sent this visa off.

Good luck with the application! ;D

Sponsored Links