Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any Jane Austen fanatics like myself?  (Read 5368 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any Jane Austen fanatics like myself?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 08:09:04 AM »
I just finished reading 'Persuasion' and I decided I needed to now watch one of the adaptations of the book.  So at 6 this morning I watched the 2007 version (it's all up on youtube).  I cried!  I talked to the screen, I wanted to shout at some of the characters!  Good thing I watched it on my own and not with hubby.  :D
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
I just finished reading Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen by Fay Weldon, which I highly recommend for any Austenophiles who haven't yet discovered it. It's a bit didactic in places, but I loved the bits about Austen. And it's inspired me to order a copy of Lady Susan. Hurry up, Amazon!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »
I love Jane Austen. Tragically, I have multiple copies of her books. Why do I need more than one copy of Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abbey? I have absolutely no idea, but I do and I have no intention of passing my extra copies along. I have no idea which book is my favorite. I like them all for different reasons.

I recently watched the BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility and I thought it was good, but I really adore Ang Lee's adaptation with Emma Thompson. It is my favorite film adaptation of any Jane Austen work. Secondly, I like Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and then the 2005 one. Then it would have to be Persuasion.

Has anyone seen the Jane Austen Book Club (film)?

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:36:18 AM »
I just finished reading 'Persuasion' and I decided I needed to now watch one of the adaptations of the book.  So at 6 this morning I watched the 2007 version (it's all up on youtube).  I cried!  I talked to the screen, I wanted to shout at some of the characters!  Good thing I watched it on my own and not with hubby.  :D

Andee- I love the 1995 version with Ciarian Hinds and Amanda Root. I will have to check out the 2007 version though ;)

I just finished reading Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen by Fay Weldon, which I highly recommend for any Austenophiles who haven't yet discovered it. It's a bit didactic in places, but I loved the bits about Austen. And it's inspired me to order a copy of Lady Susan. Hurry up, Amazon!

Chary- This sounds like a good read, will have to scope it out:)

I love Jane Austen. Tragically, I have multiple copies of her books. Why do I need more than one copy of Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abbey? I have absolutely no idea, but I do and I have no intention of passing my extra copies along. I have no idea which book is my favorite. I like them all for different reasons.

I recently watched the BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility and I thought it was good, but I really adore Ang Lee's adaptation with Emma Thompson. It is my favorite film adaptation of any Jane Austen work. Secondly, I like Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and then the 2005 one. Then it would have to be Persuasion.

Has anyone seen the Jane Austen Book Club (film)?

PlainPearl- There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with having multiple copies!;D When I was in Bath I stumbled upon a vintage bookstore that had the cooloest, used versions of her books. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying one:P I too LOVE the Ang Lee version of S&S! My favorite of all the film adaptations has to be the 2005 version of P&P! I just adore Keira Knightley as Lizzie <3 I have seen the Jane Austen Book Club film, I liked it ;)
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:54 AM »
Andee- I love the 1995 version with Ciarian Hinds and Amanda Root. I will have to check out the 2007 version though ;)

I want to see the 1995 version next and compare.

My favorite of all the film adaptations has to be the 2005 version of P&P! I just adore Keira Knightley as Lizzie <3 I have seen the Jane Austen Book Club film, I liked it
I liked the 2005 version, but not a huge Keira Knightley fan at all.  The Jane Austen Book Club was good, better than the book, actually!
Married October 2007

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 07:26:49 AM »
The Jane Austen Book Club was good, better than the book, actually!

I haven't seen it but thought the book was rubbish. Perhaps I ought to have given the film a shot.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 07:37:19 AM »
I haven't seen it but thought the book was rubbish. Perhaps I ought to have given the film a shot.
I
The film was entertaining enough.  :)
Married October 2007

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »
I
The film was entertaining enough.  :)

I agree it was good, not the best but nice to watch at night with a bowl of popcorn!
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »

I also agree about Persuasion.  My favourite.  I even like the adaptation with Rupert Penry-Jones, though I keep wishing that Anne would just *wash her hair* already!  She's supposed to be faded, not greasy.
I agree about her hair!  However, I have just watched the Amanda Root (1995) version and I have to say I prefer the other version (greasy hair and all) much much, more!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:55:40 AM by Andee »
Married October 2007

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
I loved the museum in Bath, because of the hilarious Mr. Darcy portraits everywhere. And how nice it is to go to the city, see the sights, look at the baths, and have something to eat with knowledge that people have done exactly that for a thousand years?

For anyone who wishes there were more Jane Austen books, I want to recommend Margaret Oliphant. She's a generation later, but her books are kind of the same - young women working out their place in the world. And because she's a bit later, her young ladies have a little bit, um, mouthier? She's very funny.
Sometimes I amaze even myself.

• Jennifer Knits
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »
One of the big US Knitting magazines just did a special edition on Jane Austen and the Regency:
http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Magazines/Jane-Austen-Knits-2011-Digital-Edition.html?SessionThemeID=15

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
Married October 2007

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »
I agree about her hair!  However, I have just watched the Amanda Root (1995) version and I have to say I prefer the other version (greasy hair and all) much much, more!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that movie, and not only because I quite fancy Rupert P-J despite his blondness, it's just that the hair thing is always there in the back of my mind.  Niggling. 

For anyone who wishes there were more Jane Austen books, I want to recommend Margaret Oliphant. She's a generation later, but her books are kind of the same - young women working out their place in the world. And because she's a bit later, her young ladies have a little bit, um, mouthier? She's very funny.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into this. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
Another Jane-ite here...  been to the museum, mostly to hit up the shop for some things for my sister.  Favorite book... uh.  Wow, I don't really know how to choose.  It's sort of like asking which finger is your favorite.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
Did anyone catch 'The Real Jane Austen' on BBC4?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074p77

Really enjoyed it. I felt they tried to make it all as factual as possible, even though they had actors acting out the members of her family and stuff but they admitted early in the program that very little is actually known about her as so much of her private correspondence was burned after her death.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links