Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Living here permanently  (Read 1189 times)

• Liked: 0
Living here permanently
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
Hello all i am new to this forum and just stumbled upon it while looking for something else. I have to say im glad i did as it is interesting to see how many other Americans are over here. I was just wondering for those of you living and working over here if you have the same issues that i do? Do any of you get treated as if anything that happens in the US gets pointed in your direction by most people who know you over here? I on a daily basis get asked why "WE" do this or that meaning why we americans do things when i dont live in the states anymore? Just curious but it does bug me a bit that im only seen as the American in the room. I didnt realize by moving here meant i signed up to be a US delegate.

• Liked: 2
Re: Living here permanently
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
Heh. For sure.

It's worse, even. I used to work for an insurance company, mostly doing illustration with Photoshop. If my husband gets irritated with an insurance company or an Adobe product, he gives me that It's All Your Fault look.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I am from England many moons ago and people here (US) ask me about the riots in the UK? Those rioters weren't even born when I was there.
The comments/questions are the norm.
As other posters have said that sometimes we are asked to defend somethings that happen even though we may not agree with them. Our wars for example.

Regretfully we are put in the position of ambassador.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »
I guess i dont mind too much but sometimes i wish it wasnt all they wanted to talk about with me. I am more than just American. I am starting to find people who realize that and have normal guy conversations with me.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
Works both ways, as a Brit all my American family and friends kept saying was "Are you excited about the wedding?" and I had to ask what they meant as I got married 3 years ago and I wasn't going to any....it then turned out they meant the Royal Wedding!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
well I found I got mixed emotions while I was there.  Mostly the only criticism I heard was about our military.  A lot of people asked why I'd want to  move there when I could live in such a wonderful place like America.  I guess its who you talk to but mostly I found people were very friendly and loved America just didnt always agree with our politics.

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
well I found I got mixed emotions while I was there.  Mostly the only criticism I heard was about our military.  A lot of people asked why I'd want to  move there when I could live in such a wonderful place like America.  I guess its who you talk to but mostly I found people were very friendly and loved America just didnt always agree with our politics.

OMG yes this! I got this my ENTIRE visit. Well maybe for the sheer fact the man I love likes in England.. Or maybe the fact the countryside is gorgeous.. Oh and perhaps the fact I would be a short train/plane ride to other marvelous countries! Haha
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »
I hear lots of antiAmerican remarks here and went through my fair share of being questioned shortly after I arrived.  You just have to let it roll off your back. It does amuse me at times. For instance, my husband's relatives thought all Americans lived in huge houses with lots of acreage. LOL!  I had to explain that, no, I lived in a tiny brick rowhouse back in Maryland.  :)
I've been asked why I'm in England instead of us moving to the USA, too. Then I get asked about crime in America and all the guns. lol   But whenever they bring up politics, no matter who they are talking about, I just reply, "Don't ask me, I didn't vote for him."   That usually keeps them quiet. I'm lucky in that most UKers I've spoken to have no clue where the state of Maryland is, so I'm spared from lots of questions or remarks about my previous location.  It's funny to hear them trying to guess where it is, though, as some think it's next to California!! LOL

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »
Well, I moved from Florida.  What a nightmare that is when people ask where you're from!  Everyone knows where that is or has a relative that lives there.  The best part is: they want to know if you have met them!!  I always find myself laughing at those questions.  Politics is always a hot topic, I just tend to stray away from all of that. As with any other country, English people have very different views on all things American. I only answer what I feel comfortable answering. For the most part, I have gotten along just fine.

• Location: Wenatchee, Washington to Columbus, Ohio to Westwood, Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
I hear ya, I worked in the retail business just after 3 months of moving here and I heard all day long, "Well your not from around here" lol. Such a simple statement at first began making me cringe as I dressed for work, dreading my long days there. It wouldn't have been half as stressful if I had time to speak to everyone who spoke to me but my boss was always around. All those people meant well and for that, I got through.  ;)
No matter where you go, there you are.

Sponsored Links