Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Easter Bunny  (Read 3375 times)

• Liked: 24
Easter Bunny
« on: April 10, 2003, 12:57:23 PM »
I miss the Easter Bunny. So this year, I told my 5 year old that the Easter Bunny is coming from America to bring us Easter baskets. My baskets recently arrived from home, just in time. Has anyone else kept on with the tradition while they were here or given it up? I hadn't had the energy to do it the previous years, this year I do. :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Easter Bunny
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 04:36:24 PM »
That's a great idea! I also think last year, and the years before, your kids wouldn't have appreciated it...they're now getting to an age where they will get excited, probably understand the concept.

I like the Easter Egg hunts. And that's something my son really enjoyed as well. So, we don't necessarioly do the baskets (I love the egg idea here) but I'm usually talked into doing hunts, even though he's 14!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 07:26:01 PM »
Yup, the Easter Bunny comes to my house.  They get chocolate eggs too, but the most excitement  comes from the Easter baskets.   :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 08:20:09 PM »
My sister has just sent me a box of the plastic eggs (and some special Butterfinger eggs for moi) and I am having a big hunt in the garden. I loved this tradition when I was little and see no reason why I can't carry it on, albeit with a bit of difficulty. You don't get the same type of Easter chocolate here for hiding but i'm filling the plastic eggs with cadbury eggs and maltesers and some sweets and I think mine will be very happy indeed. I did it last year and they thought it a hoot (even if the 1 year old was a bit clueless and needed major assistance!)

My other half's family all hand out small choc eggs for the kids but I think it's rather...uninspiring and besides, he ends up eating them all anyway. Long live the Hunt!
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 11:43:18 PM »
Has anyone else kept on with the tradition while they were here or given it up?

I gave it up when i emigrated, and do it the British way... hubby and I just exchange one store-bought chocolate egg each.  We're only in it for the chocolate anyway!

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 12:31:13 AM »
My mother has helped keep the tradition alive. She sends mini-baskets every year for the kids - fake grass and all!

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 12:34:52 AM »
Fake grass, there's a memory. I remember finding that stuff months after easter, in corners, toyboxes, sort of like xmas pine needles, you never get rid of it, lol.

Anyone want to send me some shredded green paper? ;) I'll have to find something to substitute.

Mindy, what do your children's friends make of the basket tradition? just curious. :)

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 02:00:39 PM »
Do the Brits not have the Easter Bunny??  or Baskets??

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2003, 02:05:05 PM »
Nope. Not a tradition that originated here, nor was it adopted. :-/

• Yay! I'm going home!
    • Batchelor Family Homepage
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2003, 03:43:55 PM »
Hi All,

I have a 2.5 year old, last year he didn't really know, and we didn't really do anything, this year we have been telling him about the Easter bunny and he is getting excited about it.  I had my mom send me an Easter basket (a proper one) and a whole lotta Easter candy from back home.  Put it this way, that package weighed about 19lbs and it cost 72.00 dollars to ship it....she loves me.

MelanieB
timeline:
3 May - I-130 mailed
16 Jun - DS230 mailed
13 Jul - NOA received
15 Jul - Interview on 17 Aug
17 Aug - Got VISA

• When God made man she was only joking.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2003, 06:16:10 PM »
I have only recently been introduced to this tradition by my wife - who still gets her Easter basket from her family in the US.

It seems such a shame that we do so little here for Easter - a large chocolate egg and that's Easter dealt with!!  I am planning an Easter basket for my wife and am really enjoying this lovely tradition.

;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 06:16:45 PM by Gurumaister »

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2003, 07:26:51 PM »
I absolutely plan to do Easter baskets etc. when we get there, we will also do Thanksgiving Turkey and Stephen has very fond memories of going to American Airbases when he was a boy for the 4th of July.
Can't wait to do all of it, my child(ren) will have the best of both worlds!

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 08:39:08 PM »
Nope. Not a tradition that originated here, nor was it adopted. :-/

That does seem strange. How do we explain that epsidoe of Vicar of Dibley where the whole town dresses as Easter Bunnies and leave eggs all over the town?

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 09:36:19 PM »
Hey! He's got a point there! It's a conspiracy! It's like one of those things my husband does when he doesn't want me to do something. "But that's not how we do it here." Think they hide the baskets when we come in the shops? Hmmmmmm.  [smiley=uhoh.gif]
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2003, 03:47:54 PM »
Okay, so I got a box delivered this morning full of green shredded paper. And some cookies underneath.  [smiley=laugh4.gif] I have a pretty good idea of who's behind it and I just wanted to say thank you! It will definitely be put to good use.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 03:49:42 PM by admin »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab