Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Easter Bunny  (Read 3374 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Easter Bunny
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2003, 09:45:32 PM »
As someone on the flip side of things....with Easter Baskets and Bunnies Galore in the USA...what exactly is done in the UK for Easter?  Trying to pry information out of my husband is a neverending task.  In response to what do you usually eat on Easter Sunday I got, "roast of some sort."  [smiley=inquisitive.gif]ARG! Is that not a usual Sunday Roast anyway?  No mention of Chocolate Eggs or anything.  Would like some advice on how to bring some of Britain to the USA for Easter.  (Though I am NOT repeat NOT giving up my Easter Basket filled with all things chocolate!)  
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2003, 12:02:42 AM »
...what exactly is done in the UK for Easter?   

Not alot, really.  
Most people (apart from retail & catering trades) get 4 days off work.
Some people do a lamb dinner on Easter Sunday (that might be the 'roast' your man is referring to!).
People with children might paint eggs and do an egg hunt in their gardens.  There might be some organised egg hunts in England, but i have never seen one in Scotland.
And EVERYBODY (!) gets a chocolate egg... these are big hollow eggs that come packaged with a couple of your favourite chocolate bar... for instance, my hubby wanted a Flake egg, so his big hollow egg comes with 2 or 3 bars of Cadbury Flake.  Mine (if he remembers) will be a Creme Egg egg... a large hollow choc egg packaged with 2 or 3 Cadbury Creme Eggs.
There are nicer, posher ones, of course, but most folk just get the normal supermarket-bought ones.

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2003, 02:17:08 AM »
Thankd for the info. gives me something to hunt for...I think a visit to British Shoppe is in order. They just might have said eggs in question.    
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 24
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2003, 12:16:59 PM »
Don't forget the hot cross buns.  [smiley=bleck.gif]

My hubby's favorite brand are the Marks and Spencer ones.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2003, 12:58:08 PM »
Don't forget the hot cross buns.  [smiley=bleck.gif]

Thanks, Leah ::)  I now have 'Hot Cross Buns' running through my head for the thousandth time this week.  :)

.........one a penny, two a penny.........

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 04:05:40 PM »
Hot cross buns?  I vaguely remember something from the inner recesses of my mind...the tune to the song seems to come to mind....OH NO it's stuck in my head!  AAAAH! Help me out here... what are they?  I really want to surprise my husband and our friend from Brit. Club that's coming over for Easter. :-)

Thanks guys! :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 04:54:38 PM »
Well I just made a batch yesterday so maybe I can explain. They're yeast based round buns with an X on top and they're filled with currants and mixed peel (lemon/orange) and cinnamon and mixed spice.

Since they are yeast based, they are a bit fiddly to make. Definitely a day for rising.  But homemade ones are so superior to the ones sold in the supermarkets - which to me are nothing more than sweet hamburger buns. The ones from proper bakeries are quite hardy and durable - proper bread and gorgeous with real butter.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 05:32:57 PM »
Sounds yummy. Don't suppose you'd be able to post or send me the recipe?  I have a scale so hvae no problem converting recipes.  Also, love to cook.  [smiley=chef.gif] They sound like a perfect addition to a nice ham.  Not to mention I have a secret love of currants.  

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2003, 10:41:29 PM »
.....Hot cross buns, hot cross buns,
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot crossed buns....

Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
If you have no daughters,
Give them to your sons!....

My mum always makes hot cross buns. :)  

Because we're going to the states for Easter this year and going to spend time with the girls, we'll be doing all the easter type stuff the US way and getting them easter bunny stuff. :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2003, 12:55:17 PM »
Hot Cross Buns - the Delia Smith recipe

1 lb flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 pint hand hot water
1 tsp salt
2 oz cut mixed peel (might be tricky to find????)
2 oz butter, melted
2 oz warm milk
1 tbl dried yeast
1 tsp mixed allspice
3 oz currants
2 oz sugar
1 egg, beaten

glaze:
2 tbl sugar
2 tbl water

Stir tsp of sugar into the warm water, then sprinkle yeast, stir and set aside to wait for frothy foam.

Sift flour, salt and allspice into bowl and add sugar, currants and the mixed peel. Make a well and pour in yeast mixture with 2 ox milk, the egg and melted butter. Mix to a dough with hands, transfer to clean surface and knead 6 mins. Put back in bowl, cover with oiled plastic bag and put somewhere warm to rise for at least an hour. Take out, punch down and knead again for minute.

Divide into 12 buns, arrange on greased sheet, make deep cross on top of each, leave to rise again for at least 30 mins somewhere cozy and warm.

Take at425F for 13-15 mins. Watch closely as it's easy to burn top.  While they're cooking, melt sugar and water over gentle heat and brush on top when they come out of husband.

VOILA. Good luck and let us know how you get on!
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2003, 12:28:06 AM »
Thank you sooo much.  Will let you know how they turn out!

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2003, 06:42:46 AM »
Hopster...just wanted to say....THANKS! :D

Very scrumy as my husband says.  Used your recipe with a few deviations like using grated peel..worked fine....[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Said they were just like home! Doubled the recipe and we have been munching away... [smiley=sunny.gif]

Though he did think I was nuts when I slapped a piece of ham on one! Apparently a Brit no-no!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2003, 11:23:26 AM »
Though he did think I was nuts when I slapped a piece of ham on one! Apparently a Brit no-no!

LOL, that inspires a new list topic...  ;)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2003, 08:04:51 PM »
Oh there ya go. Mixing sweet and savory. Tsk tsk.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab