Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLR good for 2 years not 1 : My experience.  (Read 1557 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
FLR good for 2 years not 1 : My experience.
« on: April 10, 2003, 04:30:13 PM »
David & I headed down to Croydon on Tuesday the 8th to get my FLR. We got in line at 6:30, got in the building at 8:15 (we were number 206). Got up to the window at 10:45 and walked out of there with my (surprisingly ugly - why couldn't it be as pretty as my fiancee visa?) stamp at 11:15!

The lady behind the window said that as of April 1 (only a week before I got it!) the law had changed, and FLR visas are now good for two years and not one, but it only applies to visas received since April 2st, not old ones. So I don't have to go down there for another 2 years!

The process was painless except for one minor blip when the lady behind the counter (hereby known as LBC) wanted to see David's bank statements. I told her we didn't need them, and asked her to show me on the form where it said we did. She couldn't, she apologized, and we got our visa.

Filling out the form could NOT have been any easier, thanks to me already having a fiancee visa issued in Chicago. There's a part on the form that basically says "Before arriving in the UK did you get a fiancee visa? If so, skip the next 15 questions". And those 15 questions were all the hard ones! So basically my fiancee visa was proof that he could support me financially, etc, as they wouldn't have given it to me to begin with unless they felt confident I wouldn't go on public funds. At the end of the day all I showed them was our two passports, our marriage certificate, and the filled out form. That's it. I'm still really glad I brought loads of other @just in case@ documentation, in case LBC decided to be grouchy - but at the end of the day we didn't need them.

I was planning on going alone, but the thought of me carrying our birth certificates, passports, marriage certificate etc... all by my lonesome in a ruck sack, then getting on a series of trains, tubes etc to get back home - well, I would have been scared the whole time of being robbed. It's like I had our lives in an A4 sized folder - so David came along for "protection".  ::)

Anyway - gotta go! I'm at the library with 20 minutes of internet, am heading off for a 2 week break in America, then will be back and on the hunt for a job. Blech!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 0
Re: FLR good for 2 years not 1 : My experience.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 06:37:49 PM »
there are a bunch of new rules that came into effect on April 1st...The stupid thing about is that they don't have any of this info on the HO website...One of the big changes I read about on another site was supposedly (again, no info on HO website and no press release) as of the 1st they are no longer allowing in country switches from Visitor or Student to spouse!!!  Very frustrating as I (student) sent in my application which was received on the 2nd of April...So, I am basically on pins and needles wondering if this is true and that the HO changed the rules in the middle of the game...I am not sure if they are going to make me go back to the states and get my visa...I will not be happy if that happens...What I am hoping is that if this is true that they allow a grace period in which the applications are considered under the old criteria...Like when they removed IT from the shortage list although it was effective as of September 1st, they still considered applications received before the 28th under the old policy... Also I understand they they don't have to inform anyone of changes, but in order for people to correctly apply for a visa, don't they need to reveal the criteria to do so? I guess I am just frustrated because I thought that I did everything by the rules and now I am not sure what the rules are...  >:(

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 10:59:56 PM »
Ok, maybe I'm dense here and I'm obviously totally missing something, but, you and David are married now, right?  So they give you further leave to remain for 2 years, but does that mean you'll have to wait that long to get your indefinite leave to remain or can you still apply for ILR after a year?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 11:31:13 AM »
YEAH!!!!!
This morning I received my passport back with flr stamp!!!  Exactly 12 days from when I sent off the paperwork...It was stamped for one year...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 11:31:58 AM by Miss_Scarlett »

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 09:23:58 PM »
YEAH!!!!!
This morning I received my passport back with flr stamp!!!  Exactly 12 days from when I sent off the paperwork...It was stamped for one year...

Excellent!!! Congrats!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 06:17:39 AM »
Elle - yep we're married, and she said I'd have to wait 2 years to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, since they only grant that when the current visa is almost up, which is 2 years as of April 1, 2003. Sorry it took me so long to reply, the message was missing!  [smiley=uhoh.gif]
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Sponsored Links