Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Catteries in UK  (Read 1991 times)

Catteries in UK
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
I am in discussion with a pet relocation company and even though they are sending me info on the cat boarding places they use in the UK, I would like to hear what if any info you folks can provide.

• Liked: 2
Re: Catteries in UK
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
Ours were sent to Foredowne Kennels and Cattery for their prison quarantine stay and their regular boarding after that (we weren't able to house them yet after the quarantine period). They were very helpful and knowledgeable about the whole process, beforehand and during. I felt that my two cats were very well cared for.

http://www.kennelsquarantine.co.uk/about

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Thanks. How did your cats handle all of this? Did they have any new or temporary problems? I'm so glad you like that cattery.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
No problem! Unfortunately one of them did develop a change in behavior, but I wouldn't put it down to the cattery. We opted to put them both in one pen; I was worried that if I put them in separate ones, they'd get used to being apart and then not want to be around each other, and that if I put them in the same one, they'd get sick of each other. So I felt like I would be screwed either way. Now, where they used to rarely fight, and they'd even curl around each other for a nap, the one growls, hisses, swipes at the other one if she even passes her. They fight a lot more now. This has been since the beginning of December, but very recently they're starting to sometimes be on the bed together. But again, I wouldn't put that down to the cattery itself.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
No problem! Unfortunately one of them did develop a change in behavior, but I wouldn't put it down to the cattery. We opted to put them both in one pen; I was worried that if I put them in separate ones, they'd get used to being apart and then not want to be around each other, and that if I put them in the same one, they'd get sick of each other. So I felt like I would be screwed either way. Now, where they used to rarely fight, and they'd even curl around each other for a nap, the one growls, hisses, swipes at the other one if she even passes her. They fight a lot more now. This has been since the beginning of December, but very recently they're starting to sometimes be on the bed together. But again, I wouldn't put that down to the cattery itself.

Thanks. No it was probably a combination of so many factors. As far as how they relate with each other, well that is a mystery! You can't tell how they will be with each other! (:

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »
Can I be nosy and ask how you're doing with the whole process?

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »
Can I be nosy and ask how you're doing with the whole process?

I'm waiting to see the DEFRA changes in January because he is EXTREMELY difficult to crate and so the fewer times and as far apart as possible would be best. A man will come from about 70 miles (Works with relocation company) to take him to the vets so I need to reduce stress on all of us as well as the cost. Non-disabled people don't like capturing him and my husband and I are both disabled to various degrees so...I love kitties, they are a WONDERFUL creatures but I can't tell you how stressful it is to have a difficult cat and not be able to handle him. I really wish that I didn't have this huge expense and even bigger stress-or! The only way I can deal with it is I must force myself to ignore the what-ifs and the folks on here seem to have had very good experiences in moving these dear creatures.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
Do you have any vets that do home visits in your area?

• Coming full circle....
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:15:19 AM »
I'm waiting to see the DEFRA changes in January because he is EXTREMELY difficult to crate and so the fewer times and as far apart as possible would be best. A man will come from about 70 miles (Works with relocation company) to take him to the vets so I need to reduce stress on all of us as well as the cost. Non-disabled people don't like capturing him and my husband and I are both disabled to various degrees so...I love kitties, they are a WONDERFUL creatures but I can't tell you how stressful it is to have a difficult cat and not be able to handle him. I really wish that I didn't have this huge expense and even bigger stress-or! The only way I can deal with it is I must force myself to ignore the what-ifs and the folks on here seem to have had very good experiences in moving these dear creatures.

As of Jan 1, 2012 DEFRA rules will change to the EU 21 day waiting period following rabies vaccination. Microchipping and tapeworm treatment are still required. US as a listed non-EU country will follow the same new rules as for pets coming from EU countries. The only unknown is if tick treatment will still be required. Getting our cat here was a nightmare, hopefully the dog next spring will be much simpler. He's coming from Europe.

Good luck.

• Coming full circle....
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 11:53:27 AM »
Oops! On previous posting re: changes to DEFRA's Pet Scheme, I incorrectly indicated tapeworm treatment was for sure and ticks yet to be decided. In fact, tapeworm treatment yet to be decided, tick treamtent not mandated.

Sponsored Links