Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do you regret not bringing with you?  (Read 11468 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: What do you regret not bringing with you?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
Very few of your summeriest clothes are necessary. There are rare days or even a week at a time where you can wear very warm weather clothes, 

I keep hearing people advise this and I couldn't disagree more. I'm not sure where Hobnob plans to settle in the UK, but many parts of the country are easily warm enough for summer clothes. It's getting on for the end of September and I'm still wearing a skirt with bare legs and flip-flops. And, even if she's moving to the northernmost tip of Scotland, surely she'll want some holidays in warmer climes!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
This is my estimate based on rates on UPackweship.  Their rates are by volume, so I calculated the volume of the tent and worked out the rate.  It's $9 to ship without vaccuum packing, but I reckon I can get it smaller than that.  It is quite small - lightweight, 2-person tent.

How is UPack? Are they good to the UK?

• Liked: 9
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »
I keep hearing people advise this and I couldn't disagree more. I'm not sure where Hobnob plans to settle in the UK, but many parts of the country are easily warm enough for summer clothes. It's getting on for the end of September and I'm still wearing a skirt with bare legs and flip-flops. And, even if she's moving to the northernmost tip of Scotland, surely she'll want some holidays in warmer climes!

True.  I think I got this one wrong. I wear summer clothes a lot more than the locals do, but even as much as I wear of them I brought far too many over. What you need for variety in a climate where it is hot from April through September is far more than what is necessary for an average highest in the mid 70's, and only for about three months. I suppose it is all about whether you are hot or cold natured too.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:13 PM »
And, even if she's moving to the northernmost tip of Scotland, surely she'll want some holidays in warmer climes!

Absolutely!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
I've been stockpiling stuff for the last couple of years (having made the move once before I remember what I missed). I've bought new towels, including a set of "bath sheets". Cuisinart pots and pans. Oodles of cotton turtlenecks. Etc. etc.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »
I would buy new sheets if I were you, and bring them over.  In fact, I just got back from a trip to the US, and my brand new, 100% cotton, 300 thread count sheets are at this moment drying on the line.  I cannot wait to put them on the bed.  On sale for $40 in Wisconsin, when nothing of similar quality was anywhere in my price range in the UK.  Worth it, IMO.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
Talc-free baby powder/body powder.  I may have posted that before, but I forgot it on my trip(s) back last year.  I brought a bottle about a third full on the way over, and it's now empty.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »
Very few of your summeriest clothes are necessary. There are rare days or even a week at a time where you can wear very warm weather clothes, but for most of the summer t-shirts and shorts are cool enough, or not even necessary. Heavy winter clothes are a great idea. I don't know if you intend to get a car here, but people seem to walk more even with a car. Comfortable shoes are very necessary without a car, even if you use public transportation a lot.

I live on the SoutEast coast of England an I love the summer monthes but I barely wore any of my summer clothes this year or even last year. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I wore my flip flops this summer which is pretty sad in my book. ::)  :P

• Liked: 12
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
I live on the SoutEast coast of England an I love the summer monthes but I barely wore any of my summer clothes this year or even last year. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I wore my flip flops this summer which is pretty sad in my book. ::)  :P
Yeah, I never wore much in the way of shorts, sleeveless tops while in the UK. A couple of each would probably do you.
But conversely, I'm going to try to sell my big down commuter coat because I don't think it will get much use. Layers under a lighter-weight parka will probably do nicely.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »
I wear shorts and t-shirts all the time.  I have two pairs of hiking shorts, one pair of jean, one pair of dark green, one pair khaki and a pair of umbros. 

But then I'd rather have on shorts and be under a blanket than have sweat pants or jeans on. 

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
I'm one of those who brought too many summer clothes. But I work full time so even in the summer, my clothes have to be a bit warmer to counteract the subzero air conditioning that is on.  :-\\\\ 
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
I would buy new sheets if I were you, and bring them over.  In fact, I just got back from a trip to the US, and my brand new, 100% cotton, 300 thread count sheets are at this moment drying on the line.  I cannot wait to put them on the bed.  On sale for $40 in Wisconsin, when nothing of similar quality was anywhere in my price range in the UK.  Worth it, IMO.

I brought sheets.  The ones here are either a 50/50 mix or expensive.

Thanks for this tip!

I went out yesterday and bought some on clearance at Target, I love Target clearance got 2 King Pillowcases, a Twin set and a Down Bed Pillow for under$25.

I plan on checking Target once a week and stocking up on Sheets and Bath Sheets(no small towels, hate small thin towels).

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »

I agree Chary, I don't live in the UK yet but on my visit almost half of the time it was warm enough for summer type clothing. Plus me coming from California that's the majority of my wardrobe ;) I say bring what you feel comfortable in and possibly stock up on warmer clothes (layers are great) either in the UK or on sale here in the US.
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 02:17:38 AM »
I agree Chary, I don't live in the UK yet but on my visit almost half of the time it was warm enough for summer type clothing. Plus me coming from California that's the majority of my wardrobe ;) I say bring what you feel comfortable in and possibly stock up on warmer clothes (layers are great) either in the UK or on sale here in the US.
To be picky I think you should say you are from Southern California. Makes a big difference from some places in California. Think San Francisco and the Mendocino Coast.
Just sayin'

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 02:40:52 AM »
To be picky I think you should say you are from Southern California. Makes a big difference from some places in California. Think San Francisco and the Mendocino Coast.
Just sayin'

Well I'm originally from Northern California (lived there for 19 years) and the weather tends to be nice up there as well.. I had an abundance of summer clothes when I lived there for many years. I personally don't think it makes a difference since I've experienced both. PS. The weather can get bad in both Northern AND Southern California. To be honest I don't really see the difference, if you're used to the area you live in you can wear flip flops and jeans in the rain (as I have on many occassions). So maybe being picky isn't really called for...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:44:40 AM by LittleMissSarcasm »
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab