Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Recommendations Thread  (Read 2173 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
The Recommendations Thread
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »
Recently, I've been feeling frustrated by how many books there are in the shops yet how few of the ones I buy I end up enjoying.  I am really reluctant to spend money on books any more, because so often it feels like I'm just throwing it away.  And of course I know that libraries are a great option, but my local is a small one without much selection, plus with my work schedule sometimes it takes me weeks to finish a book, making borrowing tricky.  What I'd really like is recommendations from people who love the same books I love and also loved others I haven't read.  So let's have a thread where people list their favourite books so that others can make recommendations for them.  Any takers?

I love books of widely varying styles, but am really itching to read something sprawling and historical and complex in the vein of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon, or Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susannah Clarke

The books I loved most recently were the first two Johannes Cabal ones, and I'll get the third once I can afford it, but I'm hoping to find something a bit bigger than those.  I just started The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell, and it's looking promising, so maybe more David Mitchell is the way to go? 

I'm also a huge fan of Jasper Fforde, so anything else with that kind of vibe would be great. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: The Recommendations Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »
ooooh. I love the books you love.  ;D

If you've not yet tried the Patrick Rothfuss ones, they might be worth a look, epic in feel but quirky.  If you like mysteries at all, I would love to suggest Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series--it's just lovely and the setting (post-war britain) is evocative and enthralling.
I'm trying to think of something even slightly like Johannes Cabal and not managing--such a unique voice and fantastic stories, but if you've not read Jasper Fforde's "Nursery Crimes" series yet, I actually liked it more than some bits of the Eyre Affair books.
I like the CJ Sansom books, they are historical mysteries, but they manage to feel extremely historically grounded (something that, for example, I hardly feel with some of the more famous historical fiction authors) as well. If you like science fiction, you might try Vernor Vinge, Heinlen, or Arthur C Clarke. I also always recommend PC Hodgell. She writes incredible fantasy novels; they are sometimes difficult to find, but I think most of them are available on Amazon. She also writes with a sense of humour, which makes her more like Fforde and Cabal. You could try Robin McKinley's "Sunshine", which is amazing. She rarely writes sequels, though, so that can be heartbreaking. Or maybe some of Pratchett's "Guard" books?
I review books for a website, so you could have a look at some of my reviews:
http://www.bookgeeks.co.uk/author/jennie/.  Maybe I'll have written about something you would like?

Oooh, like perhaps Connie Willis?
http://www.bookgeeks.co.uk/2011/06/13/blackout-by-connie-willis/
Her books are technically science fiction, but really, they are just amazing and genre defying. Blackout and All Clear are her newest (and they are LONG--but you never feel bogged down), and "To Say Nothing of the Dog" is equally fantastic. Her funniest (and one set in contemporary times) is probably "Bellwether" which also does an amazing job of poking fun at scientific research and all of the malarky that goes along with it.

I'll stop now! I love recommending books!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
Thanks so much, Jennie!  I will investigate those! 

Fantasy is a genre I approach with caution.  Some of it is great, but my patience runs  short when there are too many magical creatures and oddly named characters.  I do like science fiction, though.  I should add that Margaret Atwood's alt-reality books are among my favourites, especially Oryx and Crake.  And I do like Pratchett, though I have to ration myself otherwise he can get a bit tedious.  Patrick Rothfuss and Connie Willis may be exactly what I am looking for.  Hurrah! 

--Francis Cabrel

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
ooooh. How could I have forgotten Margaret Atwood? She's amazing! Yes, both Hodgell and Rothfuss aren't too fantasy heavy; (no unicorns and fainting princess type characters). Hodgell feels more like an alternate universe type deal (and the main character spends loads of time trying to figure out why things work the way they do, although everything in that world..is slightly warped). Rothfuss feels more like the "magic as a science" genre--where there are formula and reasons for things working as opposed to hand waving and faith, etc.
Hmmm, you might also like "The Epicure's Lament". It's one of those books that is difficult to describe, but it has that sort of lyrical, strong voice to it. Or "Special Topics in Calamity Physics", which was one of those books that makes you aware of how amazing the writing is while also snaring you so firmly into the story that you skip meals.
ps. you will LOVE the 3rd Cabal.  I would send you mine, but it is currently with a friend. It is excellent!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »
I read Special Topics in Calamity Physics.  It was a few years ago, but I do remember liking it.  I've just been looking at the Flavia de Luce website with great interest, and I've bookmarked your BookGeeks page.  It's great to get such detailed reviews from someone who has similar taste in reading material :)

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links