Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Electrical question  (Read 1319 times)

Electrical question
« on: April 14, 2003, 02:01:27 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out with a question. While I have read the electonics section on the site I was wondering about lamps. I know that I will need a converter but also wondered about:

1. Is it safe to use a U.S. lamp with a converter? i.e.-potential fire issues?

2. If it is safe then how about the light bulbs? Will UK light bulbs fit in a US lamp?

I appreciate any thoughts on this since I don't want to waste money shipping if they really can't be used. (I have a few I would like to bring with me though).

Thanks for your thoughts!  :)

Jules

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: Electrical question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 05:30:16 AM »
The good thing about lamps Jules, is that they can be inter-changable... not sure about halogens though...  but decorative lamps should be fine...  I know the light bulbs are different...  but with most decorative lamps, you just need to change the electrical connecter parts or should I say the guts of the lamp...  which is fairly easy.

hope this helps some!

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 08:07:30 PM »
Lamps will work just fine with two small adaptations.  

1 - You must use UK light bulbls.  I have found UK light bulbs with screw bases (as opposed to bayonet bases, which are more common in the UK) at both Homebase and B&Q.

2 - You will need plug adapters (not transformers) for the plugs.  Again, I found those at Homebase.  

I learned this info from Living in London, which is published by the Junior League of London.  I'm really glad I did, because all of my lamps are decorative and it would have been a pain, and cost a good sum of money, to replace them.  

Stephanie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 09:16:23 PM »
....1 - You must use UK light bulbs....

Absolutely, a US 110V bulb will burn out very quickly if you connect it to 220V.
.... 2 - You will need plug adapters (not transformers) for the plugs.  Again, I found those at Homebase. ....

Assuming that (i) you are going to be in the UK long term, and (ii) you know the right end of a screw driver to hold, it is cheaper and safer to snip off the US plug and attach a British one (available at Homebase etc. in a variety of colors) in its place.  

Just connect the wires, one each to the pair of matching pins ("live" to the fuse side if the lamp has a marked "live" side - though I think that most don't), and the ground (though lamps generally don't have one) to the large pin.  8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 09:19:47 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 12:31:45 AM »
Absolutely, a US 110V bulb will burn out very quickly if you connect it to 220V.

Actually to be accurate the English voltage is 240V AC.  It's 220-230V on the European continent.  And if you put a 110V bulb into a 240V socket it will blow up!  Which I can attest to from experiments in my youth,where I put a 10V torch bulb into a 240V circuit, which made some pretty sparks, a lot of soot and very loud bang!

Assuming that (i) you are going to be in the UK long term, and (ii) you know the right end of a screw driver to hold, it is cheaper and safer to snip off the US plug and attach a British one (available at Homebase etc. in a variety of colors) in its place.  

Just connect the wires, one each to the pair of matching pins ("live" to the fuse side if the lamp has a marked "live" side - though I think that most don't), and the ground (though lamps generally don't have one) to the large pin.  8)

Sorry but these last comments were a little too patronising to let pass without comment :P  Just my take on things...

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 04:55:14 AM »
Actually to be accurate the English voltage is 240V AC.  ......

Errr, no.  The British standard changed several years ago, in the late 90's I think; yet another example of bringing the UK into line with Europe.  In any case it made little real difference as it is only a nominal voltage and the electricity generators only have a legal obligation to keep the voltage above a minimum 180V.
..... And if you put a 110V bulb into a 240V circuit it will blow up!  Which I can attest to from experiments in my youth,where I put a 10V torch bulb into a 240V circuit, which made some pretty sparks, a lot of soot and very loud bang!  

A 10V torch bulb would "blow up" because the two ends of the supply wires inside the bulb are so close that, when the filament has burned out, the 220V (or 240V  :P) supply will short and will make a bang and sparks.  

Whereas a "full size" 110V bulb, which is the same size as it's 220V cousin, has the supply wires much further apart, too far apart for a short to occur.  So no, a 110V bulb won't explode, it will just burn out very quickly, and probably very brightly.

Sorry that you thought I was patronizing, I was merely trying to make sure that it was obviously a very simple matter, and not one for which a degree in electrical engineering is required.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 03:00:35 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 05:12:12 AM »
Thanks for all of your helpful comments! I will print them out and bring them back to the UK with us!

Jules

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 05:20:33 PM »
I totally recommend you bring your lamps to the UK - I really regret leaving mine behind.  They are so expensive to replace!

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 04:30:51 PM »
Could you explain why lamps can be used with just an adapter?   ???

One of my lamps in particular says that it is 120v - why wouldn't this need a transformer as well as a UK bulb?
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 07:52:52 PM »
Could you explain why lamps can be used with just an adapter?   ???

One of my lamps in particular says that it is 120v - why wouldn't this need a transformer as well as a UK bulb?

The lamp itself is just a wire (plus fancy support structure) that carries the current from the outlet to the bulb.  If you connect the lamp to a 220V supply (UK mains) and put a 220V bulb into the fitting then everything will work.  

The only difference is that the wires in the lamp are carrying twice the voltage and half the current that they would have in the US (assuming that you are using the same wattage bulb).

There is in theory a risk of using a higher voltage than the lamp designed for, but only if is of poor quality and has barely adequate insulation for the wires, connections and switch (if any).
Richard

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 10:15:30 PM »
Ahhh.  Thank you ever so much.  I appreciate the enlightenment.
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 11:48:24 PM »
I brought 4 table-sized and 3 floor lamps with me to England.  I'm having an electrician here in Oxfordshire rewire them....and most of them will also require new fittings so that UK bulbs will fit.  It's going to cost 20 to 30 Pounds each to do the work....MUCH less than replacing these expensive lamps.

The electrician mentioned something I hadn't even thought of.  Because of the increased voltage in the UK, their lamps are grounded...while my US lamps aren't.  That will have to be done as part of the rewiring process, just as a protection against a shock.

Hope this helps a little!

Janet

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 05:06:26 PM »
....and most of them will also require new fittings so that UK bulbs will fit.  

Stephanie mentioned, if not on this thread then on another, that you can buy "screw" bulbs in the UK to fit American lamps.  I think that she said she found them at Homebase.
Richard

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 06:26:12 PM »
Re the UK screw-in bulbs comment --- that's true, except that I'm not sure I can find bulbs in the UK which fit the large "mogul" bulb fittings on my US floor lamps.  Have to check on that.  The electrician suspects those will have to be changed out.

Anyone here know?

Janet

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 02:32:25 AM »
Re the UK screw-in bulbs comment --- that's true, except that I'm not sure I can find bulbs in the UK which fit the large "mogul" bulb fittings on my US floor lamps.  Have to check on that.  The electrician suspects those will have to be changed out.

Anyone here know?

Janet

Hmmm, I don't know.  I do know that I found bulbs to fit all my US lamps, table and floor, at Homebase.  Might be worth checking out - take one of your bulbs to Homebase and just compare with UK bulbs.  That's what I did.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab