Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A sewing machine question  (Read 8653 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
A sewing machine question
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
For those of you who are experienced in these matters, please give me some advice! I've never used a sewing machine in my life. Never even touched one. But I'd like to. Do you have a recommendation for a beginner? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to be so basic that I'm limited. I'm a complete novice, but I do have a friend who's going to give me some lessons so I won't be flying totally solo. I don't plan to start sewing clothes, but I think I'll use it more for crafty type things - making cushion covers, lavender bags, etc. Any ideas?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: A sewing machine question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
Well you know, squirrellypoo is your go-to woman on questions of this sort!

But here's my 2p...  I've often thought about kitting myself out with a sewing machine again (I had one, once upon a time, that a friend 'kept' for me in one of my many crazy moves in the past long ago & far away...)  But if I were going to start again, and made myself an area in the house to do sewing, I would start with one of these:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230962733/Product.aspx

Only £59 (I've seen them on offer before for £50 & you might try Ebay as well) to get started, and if you really get going & decide you want to upgrade in the future - this one to help you find out didn't cost you the bomb.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Snaps
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »
Well you know, squirrellypoo is your go-to woman on questions of this sort!

I'm hoping she sees this thread!  :)

and if you really get going & decide you want to upgrade in the future - this one to help you find out didn't cost you the bomb.

That's the sort of thing I want. I saw one today for £79 and very nearly bought it - but then reconsidered and decided to do a bit of research before plunging in. But I think something in the £50-80 range is probably the right choice.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »
I got my sewing machine at John Lewis in BlueWater....looked at the mini ones but they were so tiny they looked like toys and you can sew a very limited amount of fabrics on them.....anyway I got this one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231340608/Product.aspx

I know it was a little pricey to begin with after all the years I didn't use one but it does what I need it to do, and my DH spares no expense for me, but I hate spending money like that lol...in fact my first project was to take up my drapes in my front room.  It worked out okay despite the drapes having a liner.....something pretty tough to start with.....then I made pillows for my cat carriers....nothing like spoiling them.  Anyway good luck on your machine hunting!!!!!!

• Jennifer Knits
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
I recommend one that does forward, reverse, and zig-zag stitches

• Snaps
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
I would start with one of these:

anyway I got this one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231340608/Product.aspx

I think I'm looking at something between those two. The little one is sweet, but I'm not sure it's enough. But the larger one has more options than I think I need right  now.

Oh, decisions!!  :-\\\\

Does anyone have experience with Elna machines? Are they good?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 11:43:11 PM »
I think I had a Janome back in the states. I've wanted to get one here but space is my issue. I wouldn't go for the cheapy JL one because even though you are inexperienced you might find that they are a bit too 'easy bake oven' like. Yeah you will get a cake but not a real experience.

I think Elna is pretty good too.

• Snaps
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
I think I had a Janome back in the states. I've wanted to get one here but space is my issue. I wouldn't go for the cheapy JL one because even though you are inexperienced you might find that they are a bit too 'easy bake oven' like. Yeah you will get a cake but not a real experience.

I think Elna is pretty good too.

Thank you! :-*

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
I'm hoping she sees this thread!  :)
Better late than never! ;) I don't often look at this subforum (as I have zero interest in watching sports!) so feel free to PM me next time!

Only £59 (I've seen them on offer before for £50 & you might try Ebay as well) to get started, and if you really get going & decide you want to upgrade in the future - this one to help you find out didn't cost you the bomb.
I actually have this JL Mini machine (in red - they change the colours a few times a year) and I've recommended it a lot for beginning sewers. On our moorings so far we've got my red one, a purple one, and a mint green one! I use mine as my travel machine (I originally got it when I was going into hospital so I could sew through my transplant!), but it's a good, sturdy machine made by a good brand (Janome), and it has enough features that you should know in a year or two whether you're into sewing or not and you can upgrade to a machine with more features. Or if you decide sewing's not for you, you're not out much money.

So that's the upsides, but it does have some limitations:
  • No light (so you need a well-lighted room)
  • The foot pedal is on/off rather than any speed control, but I've taught absolute beginners on this machine and they've been fine with the set speed
  • You cannot make buttonholes on it (it has zigzag stitches, but not tight enough or wide enough for buttonholes)

Common misconceptions about this machine (not just from here!!)
  • You can't sew thick fabrics. Not true - I've sewn everything from denim to stretch jerseys and silks on it. You just need to change your needle accordingly.
  • You can't change the feet. Not true - There's a screw on the left of the foot, allowing you to use standard low-shank feet.
  • It's a crappy toy. Not true - It's light enough to pick up with one hand and the machine noise certainly isn't beautiful, but the stitch quality is very good, as you'd expect from a Janome.

My overall feeling is that it's a great beginner machine because it's lightweight (you'll likely be carting it to and from the kitchen table!), cute, and fun, it'll actually encourage you to sew. There are so many frustrations that beginning sewers face anyway, why make your machine one of them?

(and even if you ignore the above, take one piece of advice from me - NEVER EVER EVER BUY A MODERN SINGER MACHINE. Vintage Singers are great, but modern ones are a total POS trading on the famous name. Awful.)

And a couple of links: I made a little read carrying case for my machine! And when I taught my beginning sewing friends, I made up a sewing machine driver's test for them to practice on before threading the machines, and they really appreciated that. So I put it up as a pdf if you want to have a go on your new machine. :)
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Snaps
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:06:37 PM »
I actually have this JL Mini machine (in red - they change the colours a few times a year) and I've recommended it a lot for beginning sewers.

Thank you!!!

I do want to be able to do button holes, so that would be a deal-breaker. What do you think of the JL machine that's £99? - it looks like a step-up from the £59 model.

P.S. I love your carrying case!!

• Fehr Trade
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »
I do want to be able to do button holes, so that would be a deal-breaker. What do you think of the JL machine that's £99? - it looks like a step-up from the £59 model.
Ah, this one must be new, I've not seen it before. It has buttonholes, but still not speed-control on the foot pedal (and I can't seem to find if it has a light or not). It seems like you're not getting that much in the way of features for double the price and weight, in my opinion.

I think if you're going for a more fully featured machine, you'd be better off going for something like the Janome SnowLass linked to. I *think* that's the one my neighbour picked up a few weeks ago which I played on when he came calling asking if I'd show him the basics. If so, it was a good machine! But it's £199, which is a step up in price again.

I'm a bit surprised that buttonholes are such a killer feature for you, though - in the realm of fastenings, you've got snaps, hooks and eyes, zippers, ties, and even velcro that can be done on the little machine, and even bound buttonholes or *gasp* handsewn buttonholes if you're that way inclined. Maybe it's because I hardly ever wear button-down shirts, but I really only ever end up using my machine's buttonhole feature when I make trousers, and in those cases I could just as easily use a trouser hook or hammer-in snap instead.

I dunno, it just seems to me that if you're going to spend £100 on a machine, you might as well go the whole hog and get one with ALL the features rather than an in-between model you're less likely to upgrade from later. Or go for the cheaper model and treat it like a starter machine and know that you can upgrade later if you end up doing a lot of sewing.

Edit: Or another option for you might be to buy a vintage machine, as the pre-1980s models were all metal body construction and were built like tanks for everyday sewing. They're heavy beasts, by and large, but will do all the things you want for a lot less than £100. Even repairs on vintage models are usually under £20 if you know anyone in the family with one they're not using...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:33:40 PM by squirrellypoo »
Summer 97 - first visited friends in London
99-00 - studied at Uni of Sussex on exchange
Feb 02 - moved to London on BUNAC
Sep 02 - WP granted (IT skills shortage list)
Sep 04 - WP renewed
Sep 06 - WP renewed again (screwed by 4-5 year ILR change)
Sep 07 - ILR!
March 09 - Citizenship!
July 09 - bone marrow transplant :(
18 Sep 10 - wedding!
Mar 12 - half marathon in Paris! 1:47:12!
Oct 12 - Amsterdam FULL marathon! 3:48:23!

• Snaps
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that buttonholes are such a killer feature for you, though - in the realm of fastenings, you've got snaps, hooks and eyes, zippers, ties, and even velcro that can be done on the little machine, and even bound buttonholes or *gasp* handsewn buttonholes if you're that way inclined.

It's just that all the things I've seen over the past year and thought, "Oh, I wish I had a sewing machine so I could make that!" have been things with buttonholes. Not clothes, because I don't have a lot of interest in making clothes, but things like bags, cushion covers (with buttons on them!), etc. Seriously, they all have buttons and holes! Maybe buttonholes are just trendy at the moment? Anyway, yep, it is an important feature, but there's no way I'm going to handsew anything!! Gasp!

Thanks for the advice about the machine Snowlass bought. And also for the advice about new Singers. I'd always assumed they were really good!

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
If you want cheaper and buttonholes....here is a possibilty, seems to have good reviews- other than poor instructions. I had a cheap brother machine in the states, it was basic but did the job.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4602318/Trail/searchtext%3ESEWING+MACHINE.htm

• Snaps
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
If you want cheaper and buttonholes....here is a possibilty, seems to have good reviews- other than poor instructions. I had a cheap brother machine in the states, it was basic but did the job.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4602318/Trail/searchtext%3ESEWING+MACHINE.htm

That looks good and is less than the JL one ... though it's not red.  ;)

Thank you, though! Are Brother machines generally good?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
They were, I'm not sure if they still are given all the plastic everyone uses now.

Sponsored Links