Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No Interview for National Insurance?  (Read 1963 times)

• Liked: 7
No Interview for National Insurance?
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
So after spending 2 days sorting out why I was listed as "Unemployed, Receiving Benefits" on the JobCentre's system (but that's another story!), I was sent a paper application for a National Insurance Number.   

I was under the impression that the next step was to schedule an interview.  However, I was sent a letter in the post that says "Your NINo has now been allocated, and I can confirm it as: LL ## ## ## L" (L=letter, #=Number).  It follows the same format as DB's NIN, and it doesn't say temporary or anything.

Should I have attended an interview?  Do I speak up and ring the number listed? Or do I just get on with things and continue living my life?  I just want to make sure that the JobCentre didn't mess up (as, it wouldn't be the first time).....

TIA :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 0
Re: No Interview for National Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »
I wasn't given an interview. They sent me a paper application, I filled it out and returned it via post. Later I received a letter which I thought was an interview letter, but it was actually my NI# So you should be fine.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:21:28 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
I though Evidence Of Identity (EOI) interviews were only required for EU nationals.

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
I never had one either.  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
I did.  And I got my number before I became a British citizen (and it was after they stopped interviewing everyone).  Not sure why they called me in, but I think most people don't have it.  The person on the phone said it was because I wasn't on limited leave to remain when I applied.  Several people have said that they didn't/their best friend's cousin didn't/their vet said their assistant didn't, and they had ILR.  I've just think it can be random,
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:47:01 PM by Omphaloskepsis »

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
I received mine when I first arrived on my work permit (2006) and there was no interview.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
My understanding is that if you have a visa that is issued outside the UK, you don't need one, but a visa issued inside the UK (FLR(M) or ILR) you do.  
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 9
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
My visa was issued outside the UK (Chicago consulate) and I had to have an interview. I had to go to another town to do it, because the Job Centre in my town doesn't do them. They called and told me the date and time of the interview, and when I asked if it could be rescheduled for a more convenient time (they had me as the first one of the day in a town I was unfamiliar with) I was told they couldn't allocate times, and had to take them as they were given to them.

I got all the way there, and it me sitting there while a woman filled out the application for me, as I gave her the answers. Complete waste of time and train fare if you ask me. Unless it had something to do with the fact I was (and still am) on my spousal/settlement visa.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 7
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who didn't have an interview.  I was worried something had gone wrong! (But maybe I'm just paranoid about doing everything "by the book."  Anyhow, I'm glad that this process was pretty painless.  And, since I've not yet been paid, all my earnings will be taxed at the appropriate rate. Yay! :)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
I had to go in for my interview, twice to be exact owing to the fact that I'd gotten my Certificate of Application for my residence card, but hadn't received my passport back yet.  I was starting work soon, based on my residence, and needed the number and thought the only way about getting one was to do the interview.  Do they really have to verify identity or are they just willy nilly about when they do??

• Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »
Hi! I worked in Uk at a farm. They gave me a temporary nino. When I was secound time in uk I applied for a permanent nino but they gave me the same nino. Why? I couldn’t make a bank account and I couldn’t take my salary and I returned in my country (Roumania). I have any chances to obtain a permanent nino? Give me some advices.

• Good Luck to All where your Journey takes you !!!!
  • Liked: 16
Re: No Interview for National Insurance?Job Centre
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »
I had a meeting  and presented my passport, and all the times i travelled here, Even going back as far as when i met my wife, it's a three-page  document the do, they all also asked for my SIN (Social Insurance number)number (Canadian) which is the equivalent of a the number number  took about 45 mins this was 2 weeks ago at Nottingham HYS green Rd, I should get it mine after new yrs ..i also got a stamped document from them stating that i have applied for my Number.
single and traveller
working on myself

Sponsored Links