Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any Expats in Suffolk/East Anglia?  (Read 8907 times)

• Liked: 0
Any Expats in Suffolk/East Anglia?
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
Hi there!

I have found myself starting to check this forum every day and am quite surprised how much I enjoy it (I always used to be a lurker when it came to forums, but this one is so welcoming I find myself joining in!) So when I called the Felixstowe Spa Pavilion to book our panto tickets this year and an American answered the phone and we had a great chat, I realized how much fun it would be to see if any of the UK-Yankee expats lived in my area!

We live in Ipswich at the moment, and I would love to meet up with anyone in the area who was interested. A few friends from work and I go to the cinema quite frequently, and I live within a 10 minute walk of town centre so if anyone is looking for a casual way to meet new people, please feel free to PM me!

I'm crossing my fingers to get lucky with finding some expats in the area  :)
“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Re: Any Expats in Suffolk/East Anglia?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Yes moved here to get married Last day of December. New to this forum. My partner found this and said I may like it. I currently live in the stowmarket area. Hopefully bumping this will bring you out and about  ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
Hiya! I moved here after marrying my UK partner too, (been married since Dec '10, then "remarried" in a big ceremony July '11 and arrived on spousal visa in August of '11). We live in Ipswich at the moment, but funnily enough are moving to Stowmarket on July 6th!

How have you found the move to the UK? Have you managed to settle in at all with regards to friends/work?

~Tanya
“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
I just got my FLR and so now looking for work...somewhat. I'd like to find part time but I am afraid what I do I won't find anything. (Been Looking). REALLY love this country. I have made some great friends in our neighbors. I live in a small one street village outside of Stowmarket. Go to Ipswich all the time. (I am a sucker for the pound shop)

• Mr & Mrs Lambert
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »
I will be in Sudbury and I am due over in July for  two months.  I will then be coming back to the states in September to apply for my visa and will hopefully back in December.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
My in-laws live near Stowmarket, in a general Suffolk sense, and we go there pretty often.   :)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
Wow, after posting this thread last December, I didn't get any responses and thought I was the lone expat in this part of the country, and now look at it!  ;D I love it!

I am excited to move from Ipswich to Stowmarket in the next couple of weeks as we are moving from a one bedroom flat (which my DH has lived in for 12 years! Definite "bachelor pad") to a small but gorgeous 3 bed house as we recently got full custody of my 10 year old stepson and he goes to school in Stow. I will be sad to leave Ipswich though, with regards to the few friends I've made here when I was working part time at a nursery (the daycare type, not the flowers type just in case anyone hasn't picked up that lingo yet!  :) ) and now I am working as a graphic designer from home it might be hard to make new ones in Stowmarket. Hopefully we have good new neighbors too!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
I'm not in Suffolk, but in Cambridgeshire.  I'd still be happy to go to Stow or Bury though for a day out.   

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »
Oh bookgrl that would be fun! I absolutely adore Bury (hubby works in Bury, and I think I would like that to be where we settle down eventually).

I need to work on getting my UK license this summer though, as my US one will stop being valid here in August and we will no longer be living in town centre like we are here in Ipswich!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
I know the feeling as my in-laws live in Hitcham.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
I will be sad to leave Ipswich though, with regards to the few friends I've made here when I was working part time at a nursery (the daycare type, not the flowers type just in case anyone hasn't picked up that lingo yet!  :) ) and now I am working as a graphic designer from home it might be hard to make new ones in Stowmarket. Hopefully we have good new neighbors too!

I have found in these months that I have been in this area that the people are generally laid back (of course that is by my American standards, I suppose all of England is) They are genuinely happy in this area. And I was welcomed with open arms. I don't think you will have a problem making friends, and Ipswich (your old friends) is only a 10 min drive.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
Hi all,

This is a really old post, but just came across it when I was searching for any Suffolk-based expats..any chance any of the original posters still live in the area? Or any other expats recently moved to the Suffolk area?

Cheryl

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 12:16:46 AM »
I'm still in Cambridge.  I had a baby and stopped posting on here for about a year.  This is the first time I've posted in like 12 months.  :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:02 AM »
I had a baby and stopped posting on here for about a year. 

Good to have you back! It's a rough year.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »
 :)
Especially with a baby who doesn't like to drink her milk.  Two hours feeds for the first three months were killer.
I think we need to buy a new couch because of all the sitting I have done!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab