Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My poor sick Scruffy.  (Read 3385 times)

• Liked: 0
My poor sick Scruffy.
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
I have 3 bunnies, and all of them I've raised from a baby. I fostered Pinky and Evander's mother when she gave birth to them, and Scruffy was orphaned about 10 days later, about the same age as the others. So he surrogate fed from their mum. He has always been a bit unwell, and when he was a baby we were almost positive he would die. But he made a miraculous turn around after a very close call...

But my poor baby has been ill far too much this year. :( He just had the snuffles (which although it sounds cute, in a bunny it is a lifelong condition with recurring flare ups) which presented with big sneezing fits and nasal discharge. He was ill for probably two months, and was on anti-biotics for most of that time. He hated being given his medicine and fought us so hard every night!

Well last week he started having a little bit of raspy breathing... It was just every now and then, then this weekend it was most of the time. I nearly called the emergency vets, but was advised by a friend in-the-know that it was probably just a relapse of the snuffles and to monitor him and take him in on Monday. So I did... My poor baby has a bacterial infection in his lungs. And since he was on that other medication for so long, they're worried he might be resistant, so he's been put on a 2x a week injection called Amikin. I looked it up and it can have some nasty side effects, so now I'm even more worried about him.  :\\\'(

Every time he starts grunting or makes a noise my heart breaks. I just want him to be well again! This isn't for advice or anything, I just really need to get this out. Thanks for listening.

Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: My poor sick Scruffy.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
Aw, Scruffy! Lots of hugs from me. I hope he responds well to the new antibiotics.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Aww poor baby :( Must be really stressful (and expensive!) M, sorry he's been so sick :(

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
Aw, Scruffy! Lots of hugs from me. I hope he responds well to the new antibiotics.
Thanks, S. He always appreciates a cuddle!

Aww poor baby :( Must be really stressful (and expensive!) M, sorry he's been so sick :(
Thanks, M. It's cost us a few hundred £ so far, but I honestly don't mind as long as he gets better. The stressful part is listening to him make those noises and know that there's no quick fix to make him feel better. :( The vet did give him an anti-inflammatory as well as his antibiotics which he said might make him feel better in the meantime...

We knew when we adopted him that he'd probably be an expensive bunny because of all his problems, but we knew we'd give him the best life we could if we kept him and so we just couldn't give him up. He's actually been really happy and in good spirits even though he's been so ill. He's such a fighter! The vet recommended that we separate him from the others for the week though, which makes me sad for him. I'm afraid it will dampen his spirits and make him get worse.  :-\\\\
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
You are an Angel princesslemons....I do hope that your beautiful, precious Scruffy gets better soon.....lots of light and love to all of you and ((((((HUGS))))))...take care

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
Scruffy is so adorable!!! Sending lots of healthy bunny vibes your way. xxx
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
Awww such a sweet bunny - hope he gets better soon so mom can relax a bit ;-) huggs!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:33:50 PM »
Poor Scruffy.  :( I hope he feels better soon. You're wonderful bunny parents!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
Aww, thank you everyone. Scruffy and I really appreciate all the well wishes!  :-*

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
Hope Scruffy gets better soon.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »
What a cute little bunky rabbit! Hope he gets better soon.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »
Awww, poor Scruffy!  :\\\'(

He's clearly in the most loving and caring environment, and I really hope he gets better soon.

Lots of hugs to you and Scruffy!  :-*
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »
Thanks again, everyone. Just got back from our 2nd vet visit of the week. They said that he has shown some improvement, but that it is still serious. He has put on 200g, rather than losing weight, so that's a definite good sign. I've also heard his raspy breathing less... But vet says there is still lots of fluid in his lungs. She actually used the word "pneumonia" which I guess the other vet was avoiding. It's a big scary word in general, but even moreso in rabbits... Luckily, when the infection was in his nose we had a swab done to see which antibiotics it is resistent to, so there's no guessing games there. Have to bring him in next Wednesday unless he begins to decline, in which case we'll have to rush him in.

He's still very happy and bright, eating and drinking lots, doing crazy binkies (Anyone know what these are? They're hilarious.) around the house, being his usual stroppy self at times... So I just have to hope the antibiotics continue to improve his condition. Today he received his anti-inflammatory injection, his antibiotics, and I've been given some other medicine that we can give him at home to help break up the mucus. Also going to put him in the steamy bathroom every time I have a bath or shower to help that along. Please keep your fingers crossed for my brave little man!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
Glad to hear that he's improved a bit.  Let's hope this trend continues for him.  He's so adorable.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »
All paws crossed! Good luck, Scruffy!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016