Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My poor sick Scruffy.  (Read 3371 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: My poor sick Scruffy.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Get well soon Scruffy.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
Scruffy is a cute Lionhead!  He reminds a bit of my late, beloved Roomba.  I've also fostered rabbits and enjoyed it.  Right now, I've got a wild bunny who took up residence in my backyard.

I'm glad he is still able to binky, because it means he's getting some enjoyment out of life.  The weight gain is also a good sign.   

I know you're an experienced foster/owner, but I thought I'd throw a few things out there.  Did the vet say what is causing the snuffles, as it can be several different bacteria?  Has your vet discussed possibly nebulizing Scruffy, to help his lungs clear out? It is sometimes needed with stubborn respiratory illnesses, and can be done at home.  Are you giving Scruffy a probiotic too?  I've also known several people in my area who deal with an herbalist who provides them with some tinctures that seem to help their snuffly bunnies' immune systems. Good luck, Scruffy!    
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:43:38 PM by mariposa »

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »
Scruffy is a cute Lionhead!  He reminds a bit of my late, beloved Roomba.  I've also fostered rabbits and enjoyed it.  Right now, I've got a wild bunny who took up residence in my backyard.

I'm glad he is still able to binky, because it means he's getting some enjoyment out of life.  The weight gain is also a good sign.   

I know you're an experienced foster/owner, but I thought I'd throw a few things out there.  Did the vet say what is causing the snuffles, as it can be several different bacteria?  Has your vet discussed possibly nebulizing Scruffy, to help his lungs clear out? It is sometimes needed with stubborn respiratory illnesses, and can be done at home.  Are you giving Scruffy a probiotic too?  I've also known several people in my area who deal with an herbalist who provides them with some tinctures that seem to help their snuffly bunnies' immune systems. Good luck, Scruffy!    

Thanks, Mariposa! He has grown into a beautiful lionhead, but when he was a baby he looked like a wookie... He had a rough time as a baby, was really thin and even suffered fly strike. But I caught it in time, luckily, and after that he started eating and made a full turn around. He's my little miracle!

We did a swab when it was in his nose, so now that it has moved to his lungs so we know what it is and we have a list of anti-biotics that work. (Thankfully!) He gets it by injection, as well as an anti-inflammatory shot, each twice a week. I was also given bisolvon powder, which we mix with a little water and give him once a day by syringe to help break up the mucus. The vet recommended having him in the bathroom when I have my bath/shower so he can inhale the steam...

We haven't discussed nebulizing. What does that entail? I've seen it mentioned in various forums while doing my research on his illness. Also, I've never heard of giving a probiotic? What would you give your bunny? I have the former rescue owner (they closed this year) coming over today to visit and she's gonna take a look at him, too. I'll ask her about all this. Thanks again!

That's him as a baby, he's on the right if you couldn't guess!
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »
Well done Scruffy on the improvement! I hope he keeps it up for you! :-* Such a sweet little thing - all these pictures are making me think I should get a bunny for myself!
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
What a cutie! Hope he continues to improve.
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
Thanks, Mariposa! He has grown into a beautiful lionhead, but when he was a baby he looked like a wookie... He had a rough time as a baby, was really thin and even suffered fly strike. But I caught it in time, luckily, and after that he started eating and made a full turn around. He's my little miracle!

We did a swab when it was in his nose, so now that it has moved to his lungs so we know what it is and we have a list of anti-biotics that work. (Thankfully!) He gets it by injection, as well as an anti-inflammatory shot, each twice a week. I was also given bisolvon powder, which we mix with a little water and give him once a day by syringe to help break up the mucus. The vet recommended having him in the bathroom when I have my bath/shower so he can inhale the steam...

We haven't discussed nebulizing. What does that entail? I've seen it mentioned in various forums while doing my research on his illness. Also, I've never heard of giving a probiotic? What would you give your bunny? I have the former rescue owner (they closed this year) coming over today to visit and she's gonna take a look at him, too. I'll ask her about all this. Thanks again!

That's him as a baby, he's on the right if you couldn't guess!
You can get some acidophilus capsules and add them to his food.  Some people sprinkle it on the veggies.  If the antibiotic gives him diarrhea, canned pumpkin (plain, not with the pumpkin pie spices) can help in a pinch. 

I've known people to nebulize with a setup as simple as a Rubbermaid-type bin with a towel over the top.  If need be, I can probably find pictures off a small-animal setup online.  I used to know someone who had to regularly nebulize a guinea pig with chronic sinus/URI trouble.   

I hope he continues to recover well!   

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »
Thanks again, mariposa! My friend said that she actually has a nebulizer in storage somewhere and is hunting it down for me. Wondering if it's okay to do it without consulting the vet though? I won't be seeing them again until Wednesday. Thanks for all the info. I've never had experience with pneumonia before, since it's a lot more rare in indoor animals.  :-\\\\ Then again, so is fly strike. Scruffy is just prone to a lot of things I guess...

Anyway, he's doing okay still. He's being quite noisy right now, but has been quiet most of the day. Eating like a pig, drinking lots, still very happy. He is really loving his saunas (sitting in the bathroom while DH or I has our shower). He flops right over onto his side on his towel on the bathroom floor. He is into all the extra attention he's getting, and seems oblivious that there is a bad reason for it!
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Scruffers update!

Took him to the vet today, feeling really nervous because he's still quite noisy, even though he's been very energetic and happy. You just can't tell with him... But the vet assured me that his lungs sound a lot better! :) He is still making wheezy noises, but it is no longer crackly which means the fluid is leaving his lungs. I feel so relieved! We discussed nebulizing, but the vet said at this stage the sauna that we're doing is plenty. Just more of the same treatment, and they'll see him back in a week!

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. :) I'll update again when he's gotten a clean bill of health.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
Yay Scruffy! :)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
That's great news, PL! :)
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
How is Scruffy doing?  I hope he's still on the mend. 

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:15 AM »
How is Scruffy doing?  I hope he's still on the mend. 
He's doing really well, thanks! :) Loads of binkies lately, and his breathing has been sounding clearer

I've started mixing his bisolvin with a little mushy banana. Medicine time has never been easier and he is so much happier!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
That's really good news, princesslemons!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Another thing to keep on hand for Scruffy, is some simethicone drops.  It sounds like he's happy and on the mend, but the drops are good for bloat and can help with stasis.  Get the drops people use on babies.  If he will eat fresh fennel, that can also help with gas.  Chamomile or chamomile tea can also be of use if he gets gassy.  I know you've not mentioned it, but all the medicating and transporting can be stressful, which can bring on stasis.  I keep these things in the house for rabbits and guinea pigs.  Best wishes for Scruffy to have a happy, healthy new year!

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Thanks for that, mariposa. I've never heard of simethicone drops! I feel around his belly every day to make sure it's soft and comfortable, and he's been fine. I might have to get those as a just in case for all 3 of them though...

Little update: Had another vet appointment last night. The vet said that "his lungs sound beautiful!" :) He is still a little bit wheezy, but she assured me that it's all just from his nose now. We did the injections for what might be the last time, depending how he is at his next appointment next week.

I'm so proud of my fighter! The vet loves him and tells us how easy to handle he is. She always says he is so brave. I know he can't wait to just be a home bunny again though!

Sponsored Links