Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Heartworm preventative  (Read 1435 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Heartworm preventative
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »
We may be adopting a dog very soon. There is a little gal who needs a home. However, before I commit to any dog, I like to gather as much info as I can. I asked my DH to ask the current owner if the dog is on heartworm preventative. He said, "What's that?"  He has had several dogs in the past, was a very responsible dog owner from what I can tell, and he doesn't know what heartworm is?  Is this not an issue in the UK?
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Heartworm preventative
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
My vet said heartworm "doesn't exist" in the UK. My boy's on Advocate for flea control, which happens to do heartworm control as well, but my vet said you couldn't get the heartworm tablets and it wasn't a concern here.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:44 AM »
My vet said heartworm "doesn't exist" in the UK. My boy's on Advocate for flea control, which happens to do heartworm control as well, but my vet said you couldn't get the heartworm tablets and it wasn't a concern here.

That's not strictly true in the sense that there have been cases of heartworm in dogs reported in the UK - usually associated with travel to the continent where in many countries heartworm disease caused by dirofilaria immitis (the parasite that is common in many parts of the US) is endemic.

More important is protection against a parasite called 'lungworm' also known as the 'French heartworm' (angiostrongylus vasorum) which is native to the UK (mostly the south) - not to be confused with crenosoma vulpis a different type of parasite also known as 'lungworm' but not yet as important in the UK - phew!

Advocate will cover your bases as it will kill not only heartworms (dirofilaria) if your pet is traveling but also lungworms of two varieties one of which is important as it is native to the UK, as well as fleas/ear mites/lice/sarcoptic mange and demodectic mange - not to mention some intestinal parasites in the bargain (hookworms, roundworms, whipworms!). :-)

I don't work for Bayer - by the way, I just talk about these things...a  lot. I am equally a fan of Stronghold! Frontline is OK, it only kills fleas/ticks/lice so I'm less excited about it although it has it's place.
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• British by descent
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
That's not strictly true in the sense that there have been cases of heartworm in dogs reported in the UK - usually associated with travel to the continent where in many countries heartworm disease caused by dirofilaria immitis (the parasite that is common in many parts of the US) is endemic.

It did seem quite the extravagant claim, to be honest. Since I have my guy on Advocate I don't really mind either way, since he's protected, but I was a bit suspicious. ;)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. We got our new gal, Lola, today. She is just adorable and is settling in like she's been here for years. :)

Is Advocate vet prescribed or can I get it at the pet store?

Thank you again. :)
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. We got our new gal, Lola, today. She is just adorable and is settling in like she's been here for years. :)

Is Advocate vet prescribed or can I get it at the pet store?

Thank you again. :)

It is a prescription only med, so you can pick some up at your vet's (after an examination, although you won't need an exam every time you need to pick up advocate, you just need to have a valid vet relationship which requires at least a yearly visit) or get a script and then order off the internet (be careful which sites you choose to order from, however!!)
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• British by descent
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »
I just ordered a year's supply (with vet's prescription) off chemist direct. It wasn't massively cheaper than the vet's price, but it did save some. And the packaging/product looks identical to what I got at the vet last time. :)

• This is me. Love it or love it.
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »
I'm so glad I ran across this thread! I literally just bought some Heartgard for my dog a couple days ago online. I wish I would have read this first as its expensive!! Oh well..... I will definitely be bringing my dog in to a vet to get the Advocate you're all talking about.
There are two kinds of people.  People who say what they want, and people who DO what they want. Which one will you be?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab